SAP (HANA) Cheat Sheet
SAP HANA, SAP HANA Cloud, SAP HANA Enterprise Cloud, SAP HANA enterprise edition, SAP HANA Cloud Services, SAP HANA Service, SAP Cloud Platform, , …
Confused? Here is a cheat sheet.
Find any term missing? Please add as comment.
Any good? Post us a comment, share on social media, and/or give a like.
Latest update: Oct 4, 2021 – Updated Fact Sheet
Systeme, Anwendungen, Produkte in der Datenverarbeitung – the name says it all.
The world’s largest provider of enterprise application software.
For pronunciation advice and other inside information, visit
Fact and Figures
For the Corporate Fact Sheet, visit SAP Company Information.
For corporate history, see SAP History.
SAP Terminology and Glossary
For the single source of truth on SAP terminology, see the terminology database and glossary.
SAP Business Technology Platform
SAP Business Technology Platform (BTP) is a portfolio that bundles different technology portfolios:
- Database and Data Management
- Application Development and Integration
- intelligent Technologies
The concept of a business technology platform was introduced after the acquisition of Qualtrics, as illustrated below, where the business technology platform brings together experience data (X) and operational data (O), with intelligence inserted into the four product portfolio pillars.
From the archive: the 2019 edition of BTP
- What is SAP Business Technology Platform (SAP BTP)? | sap.com
- Business Technology Platform | SAP Community
The Intelligent Enterprise is a concept and strategy.
At SAP, we are enabling our customers to become Intelligent Enterprises by integrating data and processes, building flexible value chains, innovating with industry best practices, providing our customers the ability to understand and act on their customer, partner, and employee sentiment, and how to manage their environmental impact — to grow more resilient, more profitable, and more sustainable.
Intelligent enterprises are integrated enterprises that use data to feed their intelligence.
- The Intelligent Enterprise | sap.com
- Intelligent Enterprises Are Integrated Enterprises | SAP strategy and road map towards an integrated intelligent suite
The Intelligent Enterprise with the Business Technology Platform and the Intelligent Suite as presented at SAPPHIRE NOW 2020 Reimagined.
The Intelligent Enterprise was initially presented as a framework with intelligent technologies bringing together technology (Digital Platform), business processes, and applications (Intelligent Suite).
2018 edition of BTP
The Digital Platform, comprised of Data Management solutions and Cloud Platform has since evolved into the Business Technology Platform with Intelligent Technologies as one of the four pillars.
SAP Leonardo (2017-2019)
SAP Leonardo was presented as a portfolio (Digital Information System) with software and services for Internet of Things (IoT), machine learning, blockchain, analytics, and Big Data technologies. Conceptually, these technologies are now part of the Business Technology Platform. Although still present in product names and elsewhere, the SAP Leonardo brand is no longer actively used (like SAP NetWeaver).
SAP Leonardo Machine Learning Foundation is now part of SAP Data Intelligence.
- Intelligent Technologies | sap.com
- SAP Leonardo Centers
- SAP Community Topic: SAP Leonardo
- What Is SAP Leonardo? | SAP News, 2017
Multicloud, Hybrid Cloud, Hyperscalers, Embrace
A multicloud architecture references the use of separate and/or multiple cloud providers for infrastructure (IaaS), platform (PaaS) and software (SaaS) services to avoid becoming dependent on a single vendor. Hybrid cloud references the deployment model, mixing public, private, and on-premises,
Multicloud (at the time, multi-cloud) was introduced in 2017 when Cloud Foundry was added as application development and runtime environment to the SAP Cloud Platform adding Amazon Web Services, Microsoft Azure, Google Cloud (2018), Alibaba Cloud (2019), and IBM (private) Cloud (2019) as IaaS alternatives to SAP, the original exclusive infrastructure provider of the platform.
These infrastructure provides are often referenced at SAP (and elsewhere) as “hyperscalers”.
After a strategic partnership with Google (2017), SAP launched the “Embrace” project at SAPPHIRE NOW 2019 to promote migration to hyperscaler clouds. This was followed by an Embrace on Azure go-to-market partnership with Microsoft.
SAP HANA is an in-memory database. The official product name is SAP HANA, platform edition.
Standard edition, enterprise edition, runtime edition, and express edition are license editions (same software), see Feature Scope Description for SAP HANA.
- First released November 2010 as appliance; in 2012 for on-premise installations (TDI)
- As SAP HANA One available on public cloud (2012)
- As cloud edition available as
- Product Availability Matrix: SAP HANA 2.0 – Latest version SPS 05 (June 2020)
- SAP Community Topic: SAP HANA In-Memory Computing
- SAP Press: SAP HANA 2.0 – An Introduction
- Blog: What does HANA mean?
SAP HANA, express edition
SAP HANA, express edition is a streamlined version of SAP HANA that can run on laptops and other resource-constrained hosts.
- First released in 2016. Updates released with the platform edition.
- SAP Developers: SAP HANA Express
SAP HANA One (2012-2018)
SAP HANA One is SAP HANA hosted on public cloud (VM-based).
- First released in 2012. No longer available.
- SAP HANA, express edition provides a similar offer.
- AWS Marketplace: SAP HANA One
SAP HANA Service (2018-2020)
SAP HANA Service is a VM-based managed database service (DBaaS).
Official product name is SAP Cloud Platform, SAP HANA Service.
- Documentation: SAP Cloud Platform SAP HANA Service
- First released in June 2018
- For availability, see the SAP Cloud Platform Regions and Service Portfolio
- Related: SAP HANA Cloud
SAP HANA Database Management Suite (2018-2019)
The SAP HANA Database Management Suite was a portfolio of data management products including SAP HANA, SAP Data Hub, SAP Enterprise Architecture Designer, and Big Data Services.
Similar capabilities are now offered by SAP Data Intelligence.
- Introducing the SAP HANA Data Management Suite (SAP News, 2018)
- A Look Inside the SAP HANA Data Management Suite (SAP News, 2018)
SAP HANA Cloud
SAP HANA Cloud is a container-based managed database service (DBaaS).
- First released in April 2020
- For availability, see the SAP Discovery Center
- Related: SAP Cloud Platform, SAP HANA Service
SAP HANA Cloud Services (2019-2020)
SAP HANA Cloud Services was introduced at SAPPHIRE NOW 2019 as a portfolio brand containing three cloud services on the SAP Cloud Platform.
SAP HANA Enterprise Cloud
SAP HANA Enterprise Cloud (HEC) is a private cloud service for hosting SAP (HANA) applications: Infrastructure + Managed Services + Subscriptions or BYOL (Bring-Your-Own-License).
- Product page: SAP HANA Enterprise Cloud
- First released 2013
SAP HANA Live
SAP HANA Live, prior knowns as SAP HANA Analytics Foundation (SHAF), provides virtual data models (VDM) for operational real-time reporting on SAP HANA using SAP Crystal Reports, SAP Lumira, SAP BusinessObjects Explorer and other BI tools. Also marketed as SAP Fiori Analytical Applications and SAP Smart Business.
- Documentation: SAP HANA Live for SAP Business Suite
- First released 2013
- Technically, HANA-based Analytics (HBA) used SAP HANA XS classic model, deprecated with SAP HANA 2.0 SPS 02 (2018) but with continued support for this release.
SAP Analytics Cloud
SAP Analytics Cloud is a managed service for analytics (SaaS).
- First released as SAP Cloud for Planning (2015), later SAP Cloud for Analytics, and SAP BusinessObjects Cloud (2016)
- For availability, see the SAP Cloud Platform Regions and Service Portfolio
- Related: SAP BusinessObjects Business Intelligence suite
SAP Analytics Hub
SAP Analytics Hub is a catalog that allows users to browse any analytical assets made available through the enterprise (on premise, cloud, or within a non-SAP analytics tool).
- First released in 2017, licensed separately from SAP Analytics Cloud
SAP Data Warehouse Cloud
SAP Data Warehouse Cloud is a managed data warehouse service (SaaS) that extends the SAP HANA Data Warehouse and SAP BW/4HANA on-premise solutions.
- First released in 2019.
- Related: SAP BW/4HANA
SAP Business Technology Platform (BTP)
SAP Business Technology Platform (BTP) is SAP’s platform-as-a-service (PaaS) with the platform services hosted from four environments:
- Cloud Foundry
- Kyma (Kubernetes)
in 2021, SAP stopped using SAP Cloud Platform as platform brand to avoid confusion with the SAP Business Technology Platform (SAP BTP).
For an overview of the major changes to the names of SAP Cloud Platform offerings, see
- SAP Business Technology Platform | SAP Community
- SAP Business Technology Platform | SAP Developer Center
- SAP Business Technology Platform | sap.com
- SAP Business Technology Platform | Documentation
The SAP Business Technology Platform bundles a number of PaaS application runtimes (environments) and services. For an overview of the services, see the SAP Discovery Center.
For an explanation of the different environments, see
The Neo environment is a proprietary PaaS hosted from SAP datacenters and evolved to the initial SAP NetWeaver Cloud and later SAP HANA Cloud Platform. This environment targets HTML5, Java, and SAP HANA XS applications.
As of 2020 the Neo environment is no longer available for new customers.
Cloud Foundry Environment
The Cloud Foundry environment is based on the open-source application platform managed by the Cloud Foundry Foundation. It was added to the SAP Cloud Platform in 2017 (GA).
- Blog: Cloud Foundry and SAP
The ABAP environment allows you to create extensions for ABAP-based products, such as SAP S/4HANA Cloud, and develop new cloud applications. You can transform existing ABAP-based custom code or extensions to the cloud. It was added to the SAP Cloud Platform in 2019 (GA).
The ABAP environment is based on the latest ABAP platform cloud release that is also used for SAP S/4HANA Cloud.
- SAP Community Topic: SAP Business Technology Platform ABAP Environment
- Blog: Getting Started with ABAP in the Cloud – Update
SAP Data Intelligence (SAP Data Hub)
SAP Data Intelligence is a container-based data management solution. It is available for on-premise installation and as service (SaaS).
The product started as Data Hub. As cloud offering it was branded as Data Intelligence. In version 3.0, product and service continued as Data Intelligence.
- Product page: SAP Data Intelligence
- Product Availability Matrix: SAP Data Intelligence 3.0 (2020)
- First released as SAP Data Hub (2017). SAP Data Intelligence (SaaS) released 2019.
- Integrates SAP Leonardo Machine Learning Foundation, first released 2017.
- Integrates SAP (HANA) Vora, first released 2015.
SAP Business Application Studio
SAP Business Application Studio is a browser-based integrated development environment (IDE) provided as SAP Cloud Platform Cloud Foundry service.
- First released October 2019 (beta); GA February 2020.
- Next generation of SAP Web IDE
- SAP Community Topic: Business Application Studio
- Blog: SAP Business Application Studio – Info Blog by Nir M Kol
SAP Web IDE
SAP Web IDE is a browser-based IDE provided as SAP Cloud Platform Neo service for full-stack SAP application development. The edition for SAP HANA is restricted and focussed on the development of SAP HANA-based applications.
- First released in 2014 as SAP River Rapid Development Environment (RDE), renamed to SAP Web IDE later that year.
- Related: SAP Business Application Studio
Allgemeiner Berichts-Aufbereitungs-Prozessor, also Advanced Business Application Programming. ABAP is a programming language developed by SAP for the development of business applications in the SAP environment (as defined in the documentation).
Three programming models have evolved:
- Classic ABAP
- ABAP programming model for SAP Fiori
- RESTful ABAP Programming Model (RAP)
- First released 1983
- Blog: ABAP Platform – Part 2 – New programming models by Juan Tena
- Blog: Getting Started with the ABAP RESTful Application Programming Model by Carine Tchoutouo Djomo
- SAP Community Topic: ABAP Development
The ABAP platform is the integration and development platform for ABAP-based SAP solutions exclusive to SAP HANA. Unlike SAP NetWeaver, it not available as separate product.
- Documentation: ABAP Platform
- Blog: ABAP Platform – Part 1 – Evolution from SAP Netweaver by Juan Tena
- SAP Community Topic: SAP Cloud Platform, ABAP Environment
- SAP Developer: ABAP Platform
SAP NetWeaver Application Server (AS) is the integration and development platform for SAP applications.
SAP Business Suite applications, SAP NetWeaver Business Warehouse (BW), Portal, and Process Integration and Orchestration (PI/PO) are components of the SAP NetWeaver platform.
BASIS is the original kernel of SAP R/3. WebAS web-enabled the platform. NetWeaver added Portal, business intelligence and warehouse, process integration, development tools, etc.
|in 2015, SAP stopped using NetWeaver as platform brand to avoid confusion with the SAP HANA platform. The ABAP stack of the NetWeaver platform is now called the ABAP Platform.|
- Product Availability Matrix: SAP NetWeaver 7.5 – RTC 2015
- Previous version(s): NetWeaver 7.4, 7.0, 2004, WebAS.
- First released 2004 (originally developed by TopTier, acquired by SAP in 2001)
- Related: ABAP Platform
- Blog: SAP NetWeaver 7.5 – One common foundation for SAP Business Suite and SAP S/4HANA, on-premise edition
- Blog: ABAP Platform – Part 1 – Evolution from SAP Netweaver
SAP S/4HANA (Cloud) | ERP
SAP S/4HANA (SAP Business Suite 4 SAP HANA) is an enterprise management solution. Successor of SAP R/3, ERP, ECC, specific to SAP HANA.
The codeline for SAP S/4HANA and SAP S/4HANA Cloud, product and service, are the same. Depending on the degree of standardisation or flexibility desired/required, there are four approaches (deployment options / consumption models) ranging from standard software-as-a-service (SaaS) to traditional on-premise datacenter installation.
- SAP S/4HANA Cloud, essentials edition (ES) – multi-tenant, hence highly standardised
- SAP S/4HANA Cloud, extended edition (EX) – single tenant, thus more flexible
- SAP S/4HANA AnyPremise (on-premises)
- SAP-managed private cloud (see HEC)
- Private cloud managed by third-party cloud service provider
- Corporate datacenter
- First released 2015
- Predecessors: SAP Business Suite powered by SAP HANA, SAP ERP 6.0, SAP ECC 5.0, SAP R/3
- For on-premises, see the Product Availability Matrix: SAP S/4HANA 1909 – RTC 2019
- For SAP S/4HANA Cloud, see the What’s New viewer. A new release is planned for each quarter. For this year: 20-02, 20-05, 20-08, and 20-11.
- SAP Community Topic: SAP S/4HANA Cloud
- SAP S/4HANA Cloud and On-Premise Deployment Options
- SAP S/4HANA Cloud Customer Community – s4hanacloud.community.sap
SAP BW/4HANA is a business warehouse (BW) solution specific to SAP HANA.
- First released 2016.
- Product Availability Matrix: SAP BW/4HANA 2.0 – RTC 2019
- Related: SAP Business Warehouse, powered by SAP HANA (2012), SAP Data Warehouse Cloud (2019)
- SAP Community Topic: SAP BW/4HANA
SAP Customer Experience | CRM
SAP Customer Experience (CX) brings together customer data, experiential and operational data, and the power of intelligent technologies across sales, marketing, commerce, and service to deliver engaging and trusted experiences.
- The portfolio suite was initially launched in 2018 as SAP C/4HANA.
- Commerce, Marketing, and Service Cloud evolved from Hybris solutions.
- Sales Cloud evolved from Callidus Cloud, Hybris solutions, and SAP Revenue Cloud.
- Customer Data Cloud evolved from Gigya solutions.
- SAP Community topics:
SAP Ariba provides procurement and supply chain collaboration solutions. They are listed together with SAP Fieldglass and SAP Concur as Network and Spend Management. Ariba solutions are
Ariba was founded in 1996 and acquired by SAP in 2012.
SAP Fieldglass is a vendor management solution (VMS) that simplifies the process of procuring, managing, and optimizing flexible workforces.
SuccessFactors was founded in 1999 as B2B People and acquired by SAP in 2014.
The Fieldglass portfolio includes the services
- Product page: Network and Spend Management | Services Procurement and Contingent Workforce
- Documentation: Resources
- This Is SAP Fieldglass – openSAP course (free)
The SAP SuccessFactors HXM Suite is an evolved, cloud-based human resources management system (HRMS) with a focus on engagement and experiences.
SuccessFactors was founded in 2001 and acquired by SAP in 2012. At the time, the products were marketed as the Business Execution (BIX) suite, under SAP this became the Human Capital Management (HCM) suite and more recently, after the acquisition of Qualtrics Experience Management (XM) suite in 2018, the Human Experience Management (HXM) suite.
The HXM suite comprises the following categories and products
- Employee Experience Management (SAP Qualtrics products)
- Core HR and Payroll (SAP SuccessFactors Employee Central and related products)
- Talent Management (recruiting, onboarding, performance, compensation, and related products, including SAP SuccessFactors Learning, SAP Fieldglass Contingent Workforce Management and SAP Jam)
- Analytics (workforce analytics, workforce planning, and digital boardroom)
- SAP SuccessFactors Community (not the SAP Community)
SAPPHIRE NOW is SAP’s annual business conference for customers and partners usually held in Orlando Florida. In 2019, 30,000 attendees from over 100 countries participated to hear about the latest innovations and to network with peers, joined by many more online. In 2020, the event was reimagined with an exclusive digital program.
The name goes back to the early days: SAP’s Perennial Highly Integrated R/2-R/3 Exchange (1989).
For the developers and technical consultants, the annual event is SAP TechEd.
- Event: sap.com/sapphirenow
- Blog: SAPPHIRE NOW – overview of the last 5 years plus the last one reimagined
SAP TechEd is SAP’s annual technology education conference for customers and partners held in three locations in the fall for 3-4 days. In 2019 it was held in Las Vegas (US), Spain, and Bangalore (India) .
In 2020, the event was virtual and free.
The SAP Technical Developers Conference was first held in 1996 in Orlando, Florida during SAPPHIRENOW.
Share and Connect
Questions? Please post as comment.
Useful? Give us a like and share on social media.
If you would like to receive updates, connect with me on
For the author page of SAP PRESS, visit
Over the years, for the SAP HANA Academy, SAP’s Partner Innovation Lab, and à titre personnel, I have written a little over 300 posts here for the SAP Community. Some articles only reached a few readers. Others attracted quite a few more.
For your reading pleasure and convenience, here is a curated list of posts which somehow managed to pass the 10k-view mile stone and, as sign of current interest, still tickle the counters each month.