SAP S/4HANA has become de-facto ERP standard with now more than 5,800 customers worldwide. It accompanies organizations across the world in their digital transformation journey that requires them to adopt best-in-class software with high agility. This is further extended by SAP Cloud Platform that gives developers the power to build and run high-quality applications that conform to the highest order of performance, security and reliability tests.
This is where the SAP S/4HANA Cloud SDK comes in. Making the application development experience delightful, the SDK provides you out-of-the-box capabilities, such as the simplified integration with SAP S/4HANA and Business Suite using the virtual data model for exposed APIs, abstractions of the underlying cloud platform implementation of SAP Cloud Platform, fault-tolerance, cache management, tutorials, project templates, and many more.
On a high level, the S/4HANA Cloud SDK consists of two technical components: SAP S/4HANA Cloud SDK libraries and the Continuous Delivery Toolkit, as depicted in the figure below.
Continuous Delivery Toolkit for projects based on the SAP S/4HANA Cloud SDK is an open-source component and is available via GitHub. Please, refer to the following blog post containing the detailed instructions on how to set up the CI/CD pipeline of the Continuous Delivery Toolkit.
The purpose of this blog post is to provide the step by step hands on guide for developers starting their work with the SAP S/4HANA Cloud SDK and the Continuous Delivery Toolkit. Below, you can find the following information and related links:
- Tutorials: Get Started with the SAP S/4HANA Cloud SDK: Follow the tutorials linked in this section to get started with the SDK and to get your first secure and resilient application running in SAP Cloud Platform and extending SAP S/4HANA.
- Tutorials: Learn Other Core Components of the SAP S/4HANA Cloud SDK: Follow the tutorials linked in this section to discover other components of the SAP S/4HANA Cloud SDK, such as Continuous Delivery Toolkit, Logging, Testing, Monitoring, Quality Checks, and many more.
- Deep Dives: Specific Technical Topics: Dig deeper into specific topics and components of interest.
- Releases: Follow this section if you are already using the SDK and want to learn about new features that we deliver in our bi-weekly releases. See more detailed information on each release in release notes in help.sap.com. Also, feel free to join our partner monthly update calls, where we present those releases in more details.
Interested to discover more? We also recommend you the following resources in addition to the tutorials and deep dives:
- Detailed JavaDoc for the SAP S/4HANA Cloud SDK for Java.
- Project examples on GitHub demonstrating different features of the SDK.
- Technical troubleshooting and Q&A: Feel free to reach out to us on StackOverflow via our s4sdk tag. We actively monitor this tag in our core engineering teams. You can also leave us a comment or a question in SAP Community using the SAP S/4HANA Cloud SDK tag.
- To learn more about the side-by-side extensibility of SAP S/4HANA, join our free Open SAP Course.
- To dig deeper into the introduced topics, check out the book “Extending SAP S/4HANA”.
Tutorials: Get Started with the SAP S/4HANA Cloud SDK
Tutorials: Learn Other Core Components of the SAP S/4HANA Cloud SDK
Deep Dives: Specific Technical Topics
Deep Dive 15 with SAP S/4HANA Cloud SDK: Production-ready integration of SAP Leonardo Machine Learning Foundation services with an SAP S/4HANA side-by-side extension built with the SAP S/4HANA Cloud SDK
With the SAP S/4HANA Cloud SDK, we follow the bi-weekly release strategy. We always recommend to migrate to the newer version of the SDK after its release, as each release enriches the feature set and improves the product. Below you find the links to the resources providing details on the SAP S/4HANA Cloud SDK releases:
- Release notes for the SAP S/4HANA Cloud SDK: Starting from the SDK version 2.2.0, the release notes also contain links to corresponding release blogs, providing more detailed information on the main new features, as well as the information on how to migrate to new versions
- In case you have questions to the releases, feel free to join our partner update call series where we go through the “what’s new” in the SDK and have a dedicated Q&A session
- In case you are interested in the SDK release blogs of the older versions (before 2.2.0), here are the links, including the migration guide from the version 1.11.1 to 2.0.0: