This blog is for Upgrade of S/4HANA – t3 of the Prepare Phase mandatory steps to be done in sequence below. Simplification Item Catalog is a tool that allows you to search or browse the complete collection of simplification items online. Each simplification item details the steps that need to be taken for the conversion and/or the upgrade from a business and a technical point of view, both preparatory and follow-on steps and each item is available as a SAP Note. This is a mandatory step and will be triggered by SUM tool. We will focus on Sandbox type system with co-deployed (embedded) gateway.
Readiness Check (RC) is relevant to Conversion to S/4HANA and will be discussed in Conversion blogs.
Please refer other blogs as below:
|NEW INSTALLATION||PART 1
|S/4HANA 1809 FPS0||link||link||link|
|S/4HANA 1709 FPS2||link||link||link -US link -DE|
|S/4HANA 1709 FPS1||link||link||link -US link -DE|
|S/4HANA 1709 FPS0||link||link||link -US link -DE|
|S/4HANA 1610 FPS2||link||link||link -US link -DE|
|S/4HANA 1610 FPS1||link -US link -DE|
|S/4HANA 1610 FPS0||link||link||link -US link -DE|
|S/4HANA 1511 FPS2||link|
|S/4HANA 1511 FPS1||link|
Custom Code Migration
|S/4HANA 1809 FPS0||link||link||link||link|
|S/4HANA 1610 FPS0||link||link||link|
Given the numerous notes and corrections to be applied, you may like to try this in sandbox first. For older system copy, update data using SAP Note 2568736 – SAP Readiness Check for SAP S/4HANA – copy ST03N data. Please note the Simplification Item Check are only applicable to S/4HANA BackEnd system, not applicable to the FrontEnd Central Hub.
STEP 1: Create user S4HUPGR in Client 000 as copy of DDIC.
Enter tCode SPAM, check and apply SPAM 69 or higher. Latest version is highly recommended.
STEP 2: To be done in every system DEV QAS PROD as of SPAM 70, please check Note 2502552 for latest updates. Login to Client 000.
Enable Transport based Corrections Implementation (TCI) with preparation tasks as mentioned in Upgrade Guide 3.3 Simplification Item-Check and described in document attached to SAP Note2187425 – TCI_for_Customer.pdf.
Check your Basis Release in SPAM as below. Our Basis Release is 751 SP01.
All steps below can be executed in Client 000, this is where SUM tool will execute them 2 times during the upgrade in phases.
Apply notes 2536585, 2606986, 2615270, 2569813(manual steps), (ignore any note if it cannot be applied)
Apply Note 1995550, As you apply the note you will get message that K751001CPSAPBASIS.SAR of is not available. The 3 digits 751 correspond to the basis component in SPAM as below.
Download from note as below
In SNOTE click the (F3) Back button and upload using option Upload TCI shown below and then select file K751001CPSAPBASIS.SAR click on Decompress.
After this select Note 1995550 and continue application in SNOTE.
STEP 3: Enable TCI Rollback. This step is transportable as mentioned in Note 2502552.
Login to Client 000. In step 2 we already applied notes 2536585, 2606986, 2615270.
Apply Note 2408383 TCI – Enabling System for SAP Note Transport-Based Correction Instruction (TCI) Rollback
You will get message that SAPK751002CPSAPBASIS.SAR is not available, download from note 2408383.
In SNOTE click the (F3) Back button and upload using option Upload TCI shown below and then select Note 2408383, then click on Decompress and continue application. You will get dump with LOAD_PROGRAM_*_MISMATCH, enter SNOTE again to continue note application.
Apply note 2617167 S4TC – SAP S/4HANA 1809 SP00 Conversion & Upgrade – TCI Note
When applying the note you may get message “The transport based correction SAPK101008CPS4CORE of SAP note is not available”, The 3 digits 101 correspond to the S4CORE component in SPAM as below.
Download from note as below:
In SNOTE click the (F3) Back button and upload using option Upload TCI shown below Click on Decompress and then apply the note as before.
Apply SAP Note 2399707 SAP Readiness Check – Simplification Item Check which delivers new check report and SAP Note 2502552 S4TC – S4/HANA Conversion & Upgrade new Simplification Item which delivers the check classes via transport-based correction instructions (TCI) and prerequisite notes.
STEP 5: Enter tCode SA38 => /SDF/RC_START_CHECK
It is better to run the job in background mode as it takes time. The screen is explained below:
(1) Both Notes should be marked green with Latest version, (2) select the correct target version S/4HANA 1809 from list, (3) Update Catalog with latest version (4) You will get message Simplification Item Content is downloaded successfully from SAP,(5) Local version changes to current date. (6) to select New check as background and (7) Execute.
TIP: After successful conversion it is recommended to freeze the simplification catalogs for subsequent conversions in the landscape shown in yellow to Quality and Production. please use the other 2 buttons shown for (1) download current/ (2) upload from file the Simplification Item Catalog.
You will get message the job is scheduled and to check job in tCode SM37. This job can run long depending on the system.
Please note when the above same job is scheduled by the SUM tool 2 times later on in extraction phase different JobName RUN_S4H_SIF_CHECK_INIT and in preprocessing phase different JobName RUN_S4H_SIF_CHECK_EXEC with log file /usr/sap/SID/SUM/abap/tmp/S4_SIF_TRANSITION_CHECKS.SID.
You can click on Job log icon to view log.
STEP 6: The next step is to view the Simplification Item Check results.
Enter tCode SA38 => /SDF/RC_START_CHECK
Select target system (1) SAP S/4HANA 1809 [Initial Shipment Stack], select (2) Display Check Result and click on (3) Execute.
(1) Relevancy shows items that are relevant for the source system you are running the check like here it is S/4HANA 16101 FPS1. The Yellow triangle means its probably relevant and green tick mark means it is not relevant.
(2) Last Consistency Result shows if there are data inconsistencies when system is migrated to new data structures that could cause conversion to fail, so you are aware to correct or exempt them before actual conversion starts. Red is for Inconsistency at level Error – these are mandatory to be fixed before upgrade/conversion Yellow is for Warning and Green is for No inconsistency, the ones with X are Not applicable.
(3) Exemption shows items that have errors can be exempted.
(4) Notes shows the Note Number to refer to for the item that you can click and directly go to for information.
The first line points to SAP Note 2618018 – S4TWL – Generic Check for SAP S/4HANA Conversion and Upgrade
The next step is to see individual Simplification Item detail log.
(5) Display Consistency Log to show the error in more detail
Note the above error is in SI22 – GENERIC_CHECKS. The solution is provided to run report RS4SIC_TNIWSCORR and points to note 1484142 – MRN1: Incorrect Customizing entries deleted for more information. Please run the report in SA38 – Client 000.
(6) Messages with return code 7 will block system conversion, so action is required. You may be able to set exemption for the error and get through. Display Exemption Log to show the exemptions applied. Messages with return codes 8 or 12 will block system conversion and need detailed application specific knowledge to resolve and you may have to refer to the note/open OSS message to get them resolved.
REFERENCES: – Excellent blog for understanding the finer details that is updated regularly: https://blogs.sap.com/2018/03/26/sap-s4hana-simplification-item-check-how-to-do-it-right./
Note 2399707 – Simplification Item Check
Simplification Item Catalog
Simplification List <==This is over 1000 pages pdf where you may find some details.
Hope you have enjoyed the blog.
Product Expert – S/4HANA