[Fig 1]: The concept of the SAP S/4HANA Fully-Activated Appliance
SAP S/4HANA Fully-Activated Appliance: Create your SAP S/4HANA system in a fraction of the usual setup time
Last updated: July 20th, 2023
- The SAP S/4HANA Fully-Activated Appliance is a pre-packaged SAP S/4HANA system for non-production use cases such as sandboxing, proof-of-concept, scoping, or fit-gap analysis.
- The appliance contains both curated ready-to-use demo scenarios (some based on SAP Best Practices, some freely defined) as well as a separate client with the greenfield activation of SAP Best Practices for all available localizations.
- You can create your own personal system with full administrative rights either hosted in the cloud (takes ~ 1-2 hours) or on your own on-premise hardware (takes ~ 2-3 days).
- For the cloud deployment you need a valid account at a supported hosting provider, currently those are AWS, Azure and GCP. The hosting costs will be charged to your account (typically 3-4 USD per system uptime hour)
- Once you have such an account, the easiest way to start is the SAP S/4HANA trial (SAP licenses are waived for 30 days; only the cloud provider hosting fees apply). An extensive demo guide walks you through sample scenarios with pre-defined users and data sets.
What is an appliance ?
An appliance is a compressed system image that can be rapidly extracted into a regular system instance by preserving everything that has been configured in the appliance during the development phase of it.
This makes it an ideal medium for pre-configured systems e.g. for sandboxing, proof-of-concept or scoping/fit-gap purposes.
In the SAP S/4HANA fully-activated appliances, you will find the SAP S/4HANA software (along with some other components, see further below), activations of SAP Best Practices for SAP S/4HANA (incl. technical configuration e.g. for the Fiori launchpad), and prepared demo scenarios with sample master and transactional data.
The delivery infrastructure for appliances is the SAP Cloud Appliance Library (SAP CAL, https://cal.sap.com), and if you browse this site you will see many more appliances besides the SAP S/4HANA Fully-Activated appliances.
How to use an appliance
An appliance can be consumed in two ways:
- Within 1-2 hours in a hosted environment, using a cloud provider infrastructure such as Amazon Web Services (AWS), Microsoft Azure, or Google Cloud Platform (GCP).
- Within typically ~ 2-3 days on your own on-premise hardware that has a supported Linux release installed (everything else will come with the appliance).
- Built-in 30-day test license for SAP S/4HANA and SAP CAL (i.e. no fees to be paid to SAP)
- Hosting provider fees are charged to your hosting provider account (~ 3-4 $ USD per uptime hour, depending on provider and data center region).
- Support via asking a question in the SAP CAL community
- Possibility to extend the 30-day trial phase by acquiring an SAP CAL subscription license (requires a valid SAP S/4HANA license as well), see here for more details
If you are new to the SAP Cloud Appliance Library, there’s a detailed ‘Quick Start Guide’ on the SAP S/4HANA trial page to get started. This video playlist for SAP CAL will also help to get into the topic.
Ordering process for on-premise installation of SAP software appliances (2041140)
[Fig 2]: SAP S/4HANA Fully-Activated Appliance – Consumption Methods
SAP S/4HANA Fully-Activated Appliance
What is the content & scope ?
The scope of the appliance centers around the SAP Best Practices content for SAP S/4HANA and is enhanced by further scenarios depending on the exact release version of the appliance.
The below walk-through scenarios (taken from the 2021 SP00 release) have been described in detail (see here) but of course you’re free to explore and adapt the system as needed since you have full administrative rights and even access to the Linux operating system.
- Overview Pages
- Sell from stock / outbound delivery processing
- Accounting & Financial Close
- Lease-in accounting
- Universal Allocation
- Treasury and bank account management
- Overdue receivables
- Group Reporting
- Plan-to-produce & Demand-driven replenishment
- Predictive Material & Resource Planning
- Advanced Variant Configuration
- Warehouse Inbound From Supplier
- Plant Maintenance / Quality Mgmt.
- Advanced ATP
- Advanced Intercompany Sales
- Portolio & Project Management
- SAP Master Data Governance
- Human Capital Management
- Application Interface Framework
- Analytics (Smart Business, BI, SAC)
- Predictive Analytics
- Data Migration
- SAP Fiori Rapid Activation
- Fiori Situation Handling
- Key User & Developer Extensibility
- Custom Print Forms
- SAP Screen Personas
What is technically contained in the appliance ?
The appliance consists of four virtual machines that are automatically bundled into one solution instance:
- SAP S/4HANA (the core ABAP backend incl. the SAP HANA database)
- SAP NW JAVA with Adobe Document Services (for forms and output management)
- An SAP BusinessObjects BI Platform
- MS Windows remote desktop for easy access to the solution
The BI platform and the remote desktop are optional components in SAP CAL (you can opt in/out of the deployment in the advanced mode of the SAP CAL instance creation) and are also not shipped to customers for the on-premise installation.
[Fig. 4] Technical components of the SAP S/4HANA Fully-Activated Appliance
More information & known issues
One important note at the end:
Once you have created an appliance instance (be it hosted or on-premise), it behaves like a regular on-premise system. And this means that SAP cannot access or patch your appliance instance, thus any system tasks (be it basis or functional) need to be done by you.
Best and have fun with the SAP S/4HANA Fully-Activated Appliance,
Appendix: Link collection
- Direct links to start an SAP S/4 S/4HANA Fully-Activated Appliance instance in SAP CAL, requires a cloud provider account:
- Blogs with known issues (2022 / 2021 / 2020), continuously updated
- Suggested demo walkthroughs
- 30-day trial: SAP S/4HANA trial landing page (incl. a quick start guide)
- Video tutorials (create cloud provider account and launch the appliance in SAP CAL)
- SAP Best Practices for SAP S/4HANA (detailed configuration guides, test scripts, …)
- On-premise download / Blu-Ray shipment process (SAP Note 2041140)