Please find list of related blogs
Please refer to S/4HANA SQUARE ONE for other blogs
Cloud Print Manager (CPM) is a windows software that runs on a Windows PC and is used to print business docs from S4HANA Cloud (or Business ByDesign) to the printer on local network. The CPM software fetches prints jobs from the Print Queues on the S4HANA Cloud.
Currently the printing solution is only available on Windows platform. CPM has to be installed on Windows based computer (Windows 7/8/10, 32-bit/64-bit) as a Service. One CPM can handle printing to all printers like Invoice Printer, Check printer, Purchase Order printer, etc.
Ref SAP Note 2738233 – Supported platforms for SAP Cloud Print Manager.
Output Management with S/4HANA Cloud requires CPM to enable automatic transmission and printing of documents from cloud-based system to local printers.
CPM tool only works with print queues which do not exist in on-premise and cannot work with spool, so CPM cannot be used with On-Prem.
Please find below the Architecture diagram for the SAP Cloud Print Manager.
TIP: As you can see from above the Cloud Print Manager service continuously polls the cloud system using WebService url , Print user / password and port 443, so you should open the firewall port.
SAP Cloud Print Manager has following features:
- Allowing login with your Business User.
- Storing documents anywhere in file directory etc.
- Cleaning up file directory.
- Resetting all Print queues to factory default.
Each of the sections below describe the software download, installation and configuration
Please refer Note 2099739 – SAP Cloud Print Manager for more info
PART 1: SOFTWARE DOWNLOAD:
In the Fiori Apps, locate tile Additional Software – Install Additional Software. You will require authorization with role SAP_BR_ADMINISTRATOR. Double click the tile.
You will get the screen below
After clicking on Download button you system will prompt for S-User id login to the SAP Service Marketplace. Please note that this user id requires download authorization. You can check whether you have this authorization by clicking on url: https://launchpad.support.sap.com/#/user/authorizations
Check under AUTHORIZATIONS column for “Software Download” as below.
If you have software download authorization, you will get screen below:
Click on the filename xCPM740SP01P_3-80000550.exe and save. This is a 32-bit application that runs on both platforms 32-but as well as 64-bit.
PART 2: SOFTWARE INSTALLATION
It is recommended to install SAP Cloud Print Manager on a central Windows Print Server on your network and should be available all the time or at least during the time printing is needed.
- Please ensure you have admin rights on the Windows computer.
- If you are printing sensitive documents please ensure only authorized users can access this folder – C:\Users\<User Name for Cloud Print Service>\AppData\Roaming\SAP\Cloud Print Manager
Locate the downloaded file xCPM740SP01P_3-80000550.exe and click on “Run as administrator” as shown:
At the first screen, Click on Next
You will get screen below like SAPGUI installation, the SAP Front End Installer, Click on Next
Keep default path C:\Program Files (x86)\SAP\SAP Cloud Print Manager and Click on Next
You should get message that “Installation is completed successfully”.
After installation you should have 2 icons in the app path as shown below for Windows 10:
(1) Windows Start (2) All Apps -> (3) SAP Cloud Print Manager -> (4) SAP Cloud Print Manager executable program as well as (4) SAP Cloud Print Manager Help doc.
Alternatively you can access the pdf file SapCloudPrintManagerHelp.pdf in the folder C:\Program Files (x86)\SAP\SAP Cloud Print Manager\. This document is also useful for latest information.
The third alternative to access this SAP Cloud Print Manager Help is shown below using menu option as shown below from the Cloud Print manager software. This opens the Help document in html format.
PART 3: CREATE PRINT QUEUE
Let us first create the Print Queue which will be needed to configure the Cloud Print Manager settings.
Select Fiori app from Group – Output Management ; – Fiori Tile – Maintain Print Queue.
You need authorization for Output Management with Catalog ID SAP_CORE_BC_OM
You should have screen below:
TIP: In the above screen please note there is always a Print Queue by name DEFAULT, but it can never print to Cloud Print manager. The purpose of DEFAULT queue is for sending any output that does not have queue defined. Also please note that the Print Queues do not belong to a specific business user but a “Technical” User.
Now let us add New Print Queue. Click on “New” in above screen.
Please enter (1) Queue Name, (2) Description, and click on (3) New Print User
In the above screen, enter the (1) Name of print user, (2) Description and (3) Password (password must contain at least one special character) and click on (4) Create. Note down this user and password as it will be needed for the Cloud Print Manager configuration in next step. The Print User above is a Technical user and is used by Cloud Print manager to log into the Cloud system via the internet.
TIP: After you create the Print User – a “Technical” user, in case you need to change password, lock the user, etc, it can be done by using fiori tile “Display Technical Users”.
On the previous screen, keep format as PDF. With this setting as PDF, the Cloud Print Manager converts format to whatever is needed by Windows Printer. Click on (4) Create.
A Queue will be created as shown below:
At the bottom of this screen click on System UR that we will use in the next step to configure the cloud print manager.
PART 4: CONFIGURE CLOUD PRINT MANAGER
Start the SAP Cloud Print Manager either from path mentioned before or alternatively for routine access, click on (1) Search icon and type (2) “sap cloud print” to locate the application, select (3) SAP Cloud Print Manager and right click to select (4) “Run as Administrator”
When you start Cloud Print Manager for first time you should start it with “Run as administrator” rights, if not you will get a message below:
Next step is to enter details of Domain – here you can either enter Domain name for domain accounts or computer name for local accounts, User and Password
TIP: If there is no Windows domain user available please refer Note 2718588 – How to maintain the service account for SAP Cloud Print Service without a Windows Domain
If everything is fine, you will get screen below, select menu option Runtime Systems, select New …
Enter details of (1) name of the system – like for e.g. STARTER, TEST or PRODUCTION system. Enter (2) url from previous step https://my300429.s4hana.ondemand.com and (3) click on Test Connection
If you get “Connection test successful”, the connection information is saved. After a few moments, CPM should automatically display all the print queues that were assigned to the print user.
In a few moments you should see the Print Queue.
To get error log, please ref Please refer SAP Note 2616159 – SAP Cloud Print Manager Log Files
please go to menu option Help-> About and then click on Error Log to get the details of error.
TIP1: If connection test is not successful and you get error shown below at this step, please confirm that firewall port is open and check the proxy server setting if it is needed.
Error Log shows details below: (28.06.2017 11:34:51) *** ERROR ***  Unable to connect to the remote server WebException from GetAllPrintQueues webservice, System = SAP_Q_System ***** [GetAllPrintQueues in PrintQueueAccess.cs at line 282 ] ***** (28.06.2017 11:34:51) *** ERROR ***  Connection Test: Unable to connect to the remote server ***** [ TestThread in ConnectionTester.cs at line 239 ] ***** If the issue is not resolved please attach the error log to the ticket.
TIP2: The request failed with HTTP status 401: Unauthorized. WebException from GetAllPrintQueues webservice, System = Q System
Please try The option of CPM – ‘Ignore Authorization Exception’ ignores HTTP 401 error, so the CPM should poll with no interruption
TIP3: CPM 740 & 750 have a built-in default setting that allows for a maximum TLS level of 1.0 to communicate from SAP CPM to the Cloud Systems.
CPM 760 requires support for TLS 1.2 from client programs such as browsers and also SAP CPM.
While browsers switch automatically to a higher TLS level when required by the Web Server, SAP CPM 740 and SAP CPM 750 do not. Please set accordingly. Refer SAP Note 2814277 – SAP Cloud Print Manager cannot communicate with Cloud Backend due to TLS level 1.2 requirement
TIP4: In case you get error: The requested key container was not found, please refer Note 2690882 – Cloud Print Manager: (error: The requested key container was not found.)
In this case you may try below:
- Ensure you are using a correct Service User with the required administration rights and correct password.
- The CPM guide “SAP Cloud Print Manager Help.pdf” contains further details about the service user. This document can be found at:
- Windows/Start > SAP Cloud Print Manager > SAP Cloud Print Manager Help
- If necessasry, delete the service user and create a new user.
- It is also generally recommended to use the latest CPM patch level:
- 2099739 – SAP Cloud Print Manager
This will change default format “PDF” to the windows printer as shown in next screen (1)
If you click on SAP Cloud Print Watcher and click on Start Service, this service starts Cloud Print Service if it aborts unexpectedly.
TIP: Please do not create multiple “Runtime Systems” with same url+user combination as shown below.
Above situation will create issues and error in the log
(28.03.2019 20:57:56) *** ERROR ***  GetMetaData returned an empty item. System = S4HTESTDUPL Queue = CPM_Q_TEST_3 ***** [ RetrieveDocuments in RetrievalManager.cs at line 1088 ] *****
PART 5: PRINT TEST PAGE
At this point it is good to confirm that Print Queue to Physical Printout is working. Click on Fiori app Maintain Print Queues and select (1) the print queue and click (2) Change.
Click on Create Test Page
You should get physical paper printout.
This completes the Cloud Print Manager configuration. If you would like to Customize the Master Form Template please follow this blog – Output Management – Customize Master Form for Logo Address Tel Fax eMail
PART 6: PRINTING STAGES
As you print please find below the stages of printing as you observe the queue in cloud system to finally see the paper output. Ensure that Cloud Print Manager is started and printer is online and available for printing.
In Cloud system Manage Print Queues, the status is new
In Cloud Print Manager the document is Queued
In Cloud Print Manager the document is Printing
In Cloud Print Manager the document is Successful
In Cloud system Manage Print Queues, the status is successful
Please find the CPM log files below. This log is better viewed as single line log and you can scroll to the right and look at the time.
C:\Users\CPMUser\AppData\Roaming\SAP\Cloud Print Manager\Printing\document_log.txt Log is output as follows with Status = INITIAL, Status = RECEIVED, Status = PRINTED (04.03.2020 01:22:25) ItemId = FA163EF7226D1EEA97D10414A4962DCA DocId = FA163EF7226D1EEA97D10414A4962DCA Status = INITIAL (04.03.2020 01:22:27) ItemId = FA163EF7226D1EEA97D10414A4962DCA DocId = FA163EF7226D1EEA97D10414A4962DCA Name = Bestellung - 4500000609 Print path = C:\Users\CPMUser\AppData\Roaming\SAP\Cloud Print Manager\Documents\FA163EF7226D1EEA97D10414A4962DCA Archive path = Status = RECEIVED Msg = Brother HL-5370DW series (04.03.2020 01:22:33) ItemId = FA163EF7226D1EEA97D10414A4962DCA DocId = FA163EF7226D1EEA97D10414A4962DCA Name = Bestellung - 4500000609 Print path = C:\Users\CPMUser\AppData\Roaming\SAP\Cloud Print Manager\Documents\FA163EF7226D1EEA97D10414A4962DCA Archive path = Status = PRINTED Msg = Printed on Brother HL-5370DW series C:\Users\CPMUser\AppData\Roaming\SAP\Cloud Print Manager\Printing\log.txt Log is output as follows with Status = RECEIVED, Status = PRINTED (04.03.2020 01:22:27) INFO  SetDocumentName: doc = FA163EF7226D1EEA97D10414A4962DCA, docname = Bestellung - 4500000609, printoptions = (04.03.2020 01:22:27) INFO  SetDocumentStatus: doc = FA163EF7226D1EEA97D10414A4962DCA, status = RECEIVED, msg = Brother HL-5370DW series (04.03.2020 01:22:27) INFO  Prepare print job (04.03.2020 01:22:28) INFO  Start printing (04.03.2020 01:22:31) INFO  Print 1 copies of file C:\Users\CPMUser\AppData\Roaming\SAP\Cloud Print Manager\Documents\FA163EF7226D1EEA97D10414A4962DCA on printer Brother HL-5370DW series (04.03.2020 01:22:31) INFO  Printer settings: Duplex mode = Simplex, Tray = Auto Select (04.03.2020 01:22:31) INFO  SetDocumentStatus: doc = FA163EF7226D1EEA97D10414A4962DCA, status = PRINTED, msg = Printed on Brother HL-5370DW series (04.03.2020 01:22:33) INFO  Set status to backend, sys = test2pe, queue = CPM_Q_TEST_2, item = FA163EF7226D1EEA97D10414A4962DCA state = PRINTED, msg = Printed on Brother HL-5370DW series (04.03.2020 01:22:33) INFO  Print document, printer = Brother HL-5370DW series, document = C:\Users\CPMUser\AppData\Roaming\SAP\Cloud Print Manager\Documents\FA163EF7226D1EEA97D10414A4962DCA, copies = 1 There may be additional lines if the output is sent to the printer as well as file.
PART 7: TROUBLESHOOTING & RUN OPS
- TROUBLESHOOTING STEPS: After you have setup the CPM, it is better to investigate the issue in 2 parts. On the Print Queue, click the button Create Test Page. Once test page is printing correctly, you can then look into if S4HC EX/BusinessByd is sending output to the Print Queue.
- QUICKLY ACCESS DOCUMENTS IN OUTPUT MANAGEMENT: Please Fiori Tile Manage Output Items as below which has a Failed Output Items counter and is advisable to keep on Home tab.
- ACCESS CPM LOG FILES: All the configuration and logs related to the install/configuration/run operations are stored in the folders as below (Windows 10)
Cloud Print Manager temporarily stores documents under this folder and in case sensitive documents are printed, it is recommended that only authorized users can access the above folder.
- CLEANUP DIRECTORIES: It is recommended to periodically clean the folder using this option below in Cloud Print manager.
- PRINTER / SERVER MAINTENANCE: Please follow below steps In case of printer maintenance like change of printer cartridge, Cloud Print Manager server maintenance to ensure that check printing is not impacted while the maintenance is in progress.
a. Pause Print Queue
b. Do printer maintenance
c. Restart (means resume) Print Queue
PART 8: ARCHITECTURE
- One single Cloud Print Manager can connect to multiple systems like Starter, Q-System, P-System and fetch jobs from different systems. You will have to add each Runtime system separately with its own combination of WebService URL Print User and password. In the graphic below, Toronto and New York have separate LANs.
- DO NOT install more than one Cloud Print Manager to poll from same Print Queue. Meaning, you should not configure CPM’s on two different Windows PCs using the same URL+ Print User combination. This will confuse the CPM. In future, the system may be able to detect this situation and prevent second config of CPM.
- One Technical Print User + URL combination basically will make all the Print Queues available on the system under that Technical Print User. So in the Cloud system, if you have 3 different Queues, with same Technical Print User, once you configure Cloud Pint Manager with the URL + Technical Print User combination, these 3 print queues are automatically available in the CPM. Show below there are 3 print queues defined in S4HC for Technical user CPM_Q_TEST_USER4
After connecting from CPM with URL + Technical User combination the 3 Print Queues are automatically visible in CPM.
- You can move documents form one Print Queue to another Print Queue.
- Print Queues do not belong to a specific business user but a Technical Print User.
PART 9: OTHER TIPS
- The Technical User password can be changed with a separate Fiori Tile – “Display Technical User“, although it can be used for change/reset password/lock user.
- You can first print to PDF format in the Cloud system and view the pdf before printing to local printer. However please note that when printing using pdf file, but when printing ensure the setting in Print dialog for windows is set to “Actual size” rather than the default “Shrink oversized pages“. This is important if you align forms for check printing the form may not match when printed directly.
- You should not create multiple entries for “Runtime Systems” with the same combination of url + user as shown at the end of STEP 4 CONFIGURE CLOUD PRINT MANAGER.
- For the same combination of “Runtime System” entry i.e. (same url + user combination) there should be no other Cloud Print Managers active at same time. You can stop one CPM and switch to other CPM but not both CPM active at same time. Ensure no redundant CPM’s are left over form previous test configurations.
PART 10: FAQ:
Q1: Can you output to LOCL windows type printer in S/4HANA Cloud like we do in ECC ?
A1: In S/4HANA Cloud Extended or ECC it is possible to access SAPGui and printing to LOCL printer utilizes SAPGui.
In S/4HANA Cloud Essentials, the output management is the only available framework for output. SAPGui is not accessible and Printing is done either (1) online from the web browser or (2) in the background via a Print Queue and the Cloud Print Manager. The Print Queue has to be defined in “Output Parameter Determination”. One Print Queue can be assigned to only one physical printer and requires a Technical print user. The content of the print queue is PDF file, PCL5 or Postscript file.
Given the constraints in S4H ES, if the user requires printing occasionally, your best option is – to print through application to print queue named DEFAULT. You can download the pdf file to your desktop and print the pdf file to the printer using adobe acrobat and your local setup. You probably meant this by saying “SAP document PDF which then defaults to our windows printer”. If the printing is frequent you will have to define separate Print Queue with Technical print user and Physical printer in Output Parameter Determination.
Q2: Can I print to multiple printers through Cloud Print Manager ?
A2: In CPM only one physical printer can be assigned to one print queue.
Q3: Can I print from Cloud Print Manager via Google Cloud Print
A3: Google cloud print is dead – please refer https://www.theverge.com/2019/11/22/20977888/google-cloud-print-shut-down-date-support
It is recommended to install one Cloud Printer in the system for the Starter, Q and P systems.
If there are different locations then you can install separate Cloud Print Managers in each location but both these cloud print managers will have separate Print Queues mapped to the CPM.
The Print Queues are separately created in the Starter, Q and P system. The queues are not transportable.
COMPONENT FOR INCIDENTS:
You can create OSS messages using component:
BC-CCM-PRN – Output Management, Cloud Print Manager
CA-GTF-OC – Output Control for forms (S4HANA)
SAP Note 2099739 – SAP Cloud Print Manager
SAP Note 2738233 – Supported platforms for SAP Cloud Print Manager
SAP Note 2616159 – SAP Cloud Print Manager Log Files
SAP Note 2679304 – Follow Me Printing on Cloud Print Manager (not supported)
SAP Note 2718588 – How to maintain the service account for SAP Cloud Print Service without a Windows Domain
SAP Note 2764853 – S/4HANA Cloud: only PDF test documents are created
SAP Note 2814277 – SAP Cloud Print Manager cannot communicate with Cloud Backend due to TLS level 1.2 requirement
S/4HANA Cloud Product Expert