SAP Screen Personas 3.0 SP10 now available. SAP Fiori 3 ready.
One of the most anticipated benefits of SAP Fiori 3 is the UX consistency it will deliver across a wider portion of SAP’s product portfolio. With SAP Screen Personas 3.0 SP10, we make it possible to apply the SAP Fiori 3 theme, also known as “quartz”, to your classic transactions. This means you can run simplified SAP GUI transactions in your SAP S/4HANA, SAP Business Suite on SAP HANA, or ECC system, on your desktop, tablet, or phone. As more customers are deploying SAP Screen Personas to more scenarios, we have focused this release on streamlining large-scale deployments.
We have been seeing more SAP S/4HANA customers using SAP Screen Personas to provide the SAP Fiori user experience to SAP GUI transactions that do not yet have corresponding SAP Fiori apps. Some of their most common requests are what we have put into SAP Screen Personas 3.0 SP10:
- Simpler and more comprehensive SAP Fiori launchpad integration
- Consistent UX across SAP-shipped Fiori apps, custom-built SAP Fiori apps, and SAP Screen Personas flavors
- Easier way to manage large numbers of flavors, especially to reuse scripts across flavors via Global Scripts
- Better rendering of tables on mobile devices
In addition, customers from our SAP Screen Personas Practitioner Forum community provided suggestions for usability improvements. These ideas, plus those from the usability testing sessions at SAPPHIRE and SAP TechEd, are found in various enhancements to the flavor editor and admin transaction.
Integrating SAP Screen Personas flavors into the SAP Fiori launchpad has more options
Many customers choose to use the SAP Fiori launchpad as the single entry point to all their SAP ERP functionality. This is the standard approach for SAP S/4HANA and a nice usability enhancement for ECC systems. Using SAP Fiori-themed SAP GUI transactions through the SAP Fiori launchpad means your users have a consistent experience, whether the tile goes to a standard SAP Fiori app or an SAP Screen Personas flavor.
We have made several improvements to the Slipstream Engine launchpad plugin to allow for better navigation between the flavors and other applications using SAP Fiori launchpad, such as prompting the user for unsaved changes when navigating away from Slipstream Engine.
Also, in response to several customer requests, we added an option to render the flavors in launchpad using the full screen width instead of the default letterboxing rendering.
The SAP Fiori 3 “quartz” theme comes with SAP Screen Personas 3.0 SP10
At SAPPHIRE 2019, SAP introduced SAP Fiori 3, bringing consistency, intelligence, and integration across our portfolio. With more out of the box apps shipping with the SAP Fiori 3 appearance, customers need an easy way to bring this to their SAP GUI transactions in SAP S/4HANA or even ECC. SP10 includes the SAP Fiori 3 theme, so it’s very easy to apply the “quartz” theme to your flavors, if you want the latest look for your transactions.
Quartz (SAP Fiori 3) theme on the left; Belize theme on the right.
SAP Fiori 3 theme requires SAPUI5 version 1.65 or higher, Refer to note for Service pack pre-requisites for SAPUI5 and SAP_UI (https://launchpad.support.sap.com/#/notes/2844656)
Managing global scripts is much easier and more flexible
We introduced global scripts in SAP Screen Personas 3.0 SP09. This allows you to use the same script in multiple flavors, potentially reducing the development and maintenance time for writing and editing scripts. With this service pack, we have made several enhancements:
- Global scripts include a “final” flag so you can prevent accidental changes to a script you have already tested and deployed to several flavors.
- We have added translation support for the global scripts, to make it easier to reuse scripts in distributed, global environments.
- To manage these scripts, there is a new global scripts management section in the SAP Screen Personas admin transaction.
- In addition, you can use the Relations tab in the Global Scripts under Object Maintenance in the Admin UI, to see which flavors are using the script and also get the change history for the script
Mobile rendering with the Slipstream Engine gets better
The Slipstream Engine, introduced with SAP Screen Personas 3.0 SP06, continues to improve. As more customers use it to run SAP Screen Personas flavors on their phones and tablets, including some very advanced warehouse scenarios with barcode scanning, we are receiving some great ideas to expand its functionality as they push its boundaries. For SP10, we have added:
- Better integration with different SAPUI5 versions
- Improved mobile rendering for tables
- Many under the hood improvements based on your feedback
Slipstream Engine rendering a flavor on a phone.
There are more shortcuts in the flavor editor
Merging information from across tabs is a very common way to simplify screens and reduce the number of clicks a user needs to press to complete a task. While the dragging information to the side and realigning has been the recommended method for several years, we have now simplified the process by allowing you to cut/copy controls from one tab and paste to another. This removes the intermediate step of parking the items elsewhere on the screen.
The right-click option has been popular with users, so we have added more things you can do.
The admin transaction makes it easier to manage large deployments
- Improved user management section for the Personas transaction
- New Global Script management option under Object Maintenance
- More usability improvements to the SAP Screen Personas admin transaction
Support runs through 2024
Here is our current support strategy for SAP Screen Personas 3.0.
- SAP Screen Personas 3.0 will be supported until at least Dec. 31, 2024. This rolling 5-year support is the same as S/4HANA. This is a minimum of five years from the release of this service pack, rounded to end of the calendar year. This remains the same as SP09, which we released earlier in 2019.
- We support the current as well as the two previous Service Packs. What does this mean to you?
- SP10 will receive continuous innovation
- SP09 will get important fixes and selected down ports
- SP08 will receive emergency fixes
- SP07 and earlier will no longer be supported (time to upgrade!)
SAP Screen Personas 3.0 SP10 works on a variety of systems from SAP S/4HANA to some much older versions. Specifically:
|Basis||Minimum Service Pack||Additional Notes Required?||Supported Kernels|
For SAP Screen Personas 3.0 SP10, the supported kernel releases and their corresponding minimum and recommended (as of November 12, 2019) patch levels are listed below. You do not need to update your kernel to move to the latest version of SAP Screen Personas, if your system is on a supported kernel release.
Kernel release 777 –> No minimum patch level
Kernel release 773 –> No minimum patch level –> Recommended patch level 200 or higher
Kernel release 753 –> Minimum patch level 27 –> Recommended patch level 500 or higher
Kernel release 749 –> Minimum patch level 400 –> Recommended patch level 700 or higher
Kernel release 722 –> Minimum patch level 400 –> Recommended patch level 800 or higher
Kernel releases 742 and 745 are not supported, since they are out of maintenance.
See the SAP Screen Personas 3.0 SP10 Master Note 2844656 for more details and updated recommendations.
Please send us your requests (via email or as a comment to this blog) for anything you would like to see in SP11 and beyond.
- Watch the Productivity Power Play video about SP10.
- Upgrade to SAP Screen Personas 3.0 SP10 (requires valid NetWeaver License).
- Take the free Introduction to SAP Screen Personas openSAP class to get a foundation for starting your project.
- Extend your knowledge with the Using SAP Screen Personas for Advanced Scenarios openSAP class to go deeper into how to use the product.
- Extend your flavors from your desktop to all your devices with our Building Mobile Applications with SAP Screen Personas
- Learn more from our new product support portal with articles and videos on a variety of topics.