This blog covers some of the latest new features and enhancements in SAP Analytics Cloud* and SAP Digital Boardroom release 2017.23. Please note that the Analytics Cloud Help documentation is updated at the same time as the upgrade to this release, so the links here may not yet reflect what is described below until after the upgrade is complete.
SAP Analytics Cloud agent version required for data acquisition with this release:
- Version 1.0.85 for SAP Business Warehouse (BW)
- Version 1.0.82 for SAP ERP / SQL databases
- Version 1.0.75 for all other data source types
- Note: Although it is not required, you can upgrade to the new agent version 1.0.85, no matter what data acquisition type you use. Do this to take advantage of updates made to SAP Analytics Cloud agent.
For more information, see System Requirements and Technical Prerequisites.
Highlights of this release:
- New modelling grid
- Inverse formulas: Support for nesting and exception aggregations
- Undo/redo data changes in private versions
- Improved user experience: See why cells aren’t enabled for input
- SAP BW data acquisition improvements
- Refresh job for models from the Datasources tab
- Map a property column to a BPC dimension when exporting a model
- Upload of data in fiscal period format for models with Fiscal year enabled
- Format table title and subtitle separately
- Custom tooltips for the choropleth layer of geo maps
- Number formatting in charts: Option to show +/- signs
- Version pattern displayed on waterfall bars
- Story templates now show chart types
- Application guidance help for first-time users
Learn with our latest video tutorials
- Create a model from SuccessFactors Workforce Analytics
- Apply filters to a chart in a story
- Apply filters to a geo map in a story
- Full tutorial playlist >
Modeling is now even more user friendly with a new look for the modeling grid, with clearly structured and handy interactions:
- Consistent Excel-like navigation (tab, enter, shift-tab etc.)
- Unified formula and threshold handling
- Scrolling over millions of rows with improved performance
- Autofill & error highlighting
- Creating new labels for accounts
When adding inverse functions to a formula, you can now assign values to the following types of account members:
- Members that are calculated by a formula that includes inverse functions – in other words, nested inverse formulas are supported
- Members that use exception aggregation
In this release, you have more undo/redo control over the actions you’ve taken with the new history panel.
If you make changes to data in your private version and decide that you want to undo some changes, you can now jump back directly to a specific action by finding its textual description. Moreover, all planning actions (e.g. mass data entry, pastes, allocations ) are tracked and you can use undo/redo at any time. It also tracks the changes from different users if the private version is shared. Changes are always bound to one private version.
Ever wonder why certain table cells don’t allow input? You can now see an explanation for why a cell is not enabled for input by clicking the ‘Reasons for unplannable data’ option via the Show/Hide menu. The information is displayed next to the grid.
- Please note that this feature is currently available only in grid mode. It will be available shortly on canvas pages.
- Revamped querying experience
- Better support of restricted characteristics, including:
- An optimized experience when managing large lists of values
- Search on ID and/or description
- Advanced filtering capabilities
- Management of hierarchies
- Lock values with “Use backend value”, which uses the current value based on the backend – a useful feature when dealing with dynamic time
- Improved productivity with data imports taking place in the background while you move on to perform other actions
In release 2017.20, we introduced the DataSources tab so that you can refresh jobs, delete, and schedule data refreshes from the same view . In this release, we made it easier for you to get to this tab by adding a View More link in the model list page, which takes you directly to the tab.
When exporting a model to BPC, if the BPC column names aren’t the same as the column names in your SAP Analytics Cloud model, you can now create extra property columns with names that match the names in BPC. Then when you export the data, this will allow you to map these property columns to the BPC columns.
- Please note that you will need to enter all values in your newly created property columns, even if you have the same values in some of the rows.
- Learn more about importing SAP BPC data
You can now import data that contains a fiscal period, instead of calendar time, into a fiscal-year-enabled model.
There are several fiscal period formats that are supported for source data:
Data Analysis, Stories, and Tables
Table titles and subtitles now can be styled separately. You can now format different text elements in various fonts, sizes, and colors through the font settings in the Styling panel. This feature is also available in story preferences.
Previously, you had the ability to add custom tooltips to bubble layers on your geo maps. With this release, we added the same ability on the choropleth layer of a geo map, which allows you to choose specific measures and dimensions to be displayed in your tooltips via the Builder panel.
In release 2017.18, we introduced the “Show Sign As” option for formatting numbers in a table. Now, this option is also available for number formatting in charts and you can format your positive and negative values based on IBCS standards :
- Positive does not have a sign; Negative –
- Positive +; Negative –
- Positive does not have a sign; Negative ()
Version patterns are now displayed on waterfall chart bars instead of on the axis lines, in adherence to IBCS best practices.
We have updated our standard story templates to make them easier to use, with suggested chart types for operational reporting and presentation scenarios.
If you’re new to the SAP Analytics Cloud mobile app, we encourage you to check out our new introductory tour which is designed to help first-time users explore the highlights. This tour is available when you initially install and log in to the app.
- Video tutorials
- Guided learning
- Events and recordings
- SAP Analytics Cloud help resources
- Official roadmap contains more info on future plans, subject to change.
Previous feature summary blogs:
- SAP Analytics Cloud release 2017.22
- SAP Analytics Cloud release 2017.21
- SAP Analytics Cloud release 2017.20
- More >
*SAP Analytics Cloud was previously known as SAP BusinessObjects Cloud
SAP has no obligation to pursue any course of business outlined in this blog or any related presentation, or to develop or release any functionality mentioned therein. This blog, or any related presentation and SAP’s possible future developments, products and or platforms directions and functionality are all subject to change and may be changed by SAP at any time for any reason without notice. The information in this blog is not a commitment, promise or legal obligation to deliver any material, code, or functionality. This blog is provided without a warranty of any kind, either express or implied, including but not limited to, the implied warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, or non-infringement. This blog is for informational purposes and may not be incorporated into a contract. SAP assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in this document, except if such damages were caused by SAP’s willful misconduct or gross negligence.
All forward-looking statements are subject to various risks and uncertainties that could cause actual results to differ materially from expectations. Readers are cautioned not to place undue reliance on these forward-looking statements, and should not be relied upon in making purchasing decisions.