I want to open this blog to share my experience on having implemented SAP CRM 7.0 without BW.
Around two years ago my company started the implementation of SAP CRM and in the same time we have implemented SAP Businessobject. We did this using two different partners (suggested by SAP). We were also suggested to implement Businessobject over BW by SAP which intimated that BW is an old system who will be discountinued in the near future, ecc (more they showed how many things more you can do with BO; stuffs nornally good for selling but not much for end-users )
The technical department was against this option but..we had to accept the executive choice.
At 2 years:
1) there is no integration allowing to update Marketing attributes with BO; (very time consuming)
2) Campaing budgeting, campaign evaluation are not allowed and must be build from scratch; in particular the integration with ECC which allow to check how much a campaign is costing
3) there are lots of reports, queries ready for BW but nothing (or almost nothing) for BO
4) Licensing: we have Business suite licences (who covers BW) and we bought some licences in BO (some on user bases and some on group bases). Now it happens that you must nominate people in a group and if more than one in the group is accessing he’s not allowed to enter; Actually we have preferred to build some custom report in the customer fact-sheet (Ztable)
5) In the master guide several scenarios has BW as mandatory; we had to skip them
6) Not about crm but we just happen to install ECC 6.0 EHP5 and still there are several business functions require BW as well;
What I’d like to know is if you experienced a similar scenario! When we approach SAP with those issues we were answered that in the future they won’t consider BW anymore and that we took the right direction.. honestly I think it’ll be a very long future.