Legacy RMK Site to Career Site Builder: The Inevitable Leap
There is consternation and apprehension among lot of customers about the time the support for the legacy RMK site might stop and it will become ultimately inevitable for every customer to go for implementation of Career Site Builder (CSB), especially those customers who have been leveraging the legacy RMK site for a long time.
One of the primary hesitations of all customers about this is the steep cost of implementation of the RMK site using Career Site Builder (even for a standard one without many customization). For a cost-saving alternative to all customers, here is one approach which has been tried and successful.
The most important aim of releasing Career Site Builder to the customers was to empower the administrators to handle the RMK Career Site on their own without having to reach out to Cloud Product Support or Implementation Partners or Professional Services in order to make simple or minor changes. Well this aim, to be frank, has been substantially achieved when the site administrator wants to change basic content within the site or set up new pages or check for category rules or adjust color scheme or dimensions of content like images,videos etc. But still there are lot of settings which has to be done via the Command Center (back-end for RMK), even though lot of such settings have been released in subsequent releases to customers. This is the only area where customers have to still rely on Product Support or Implementation Partners or Professional Services to finish the job.
“Ultimately this will serve as a cost saving alternative for lot of customers who want to transition to a RMK site using Career Site Builder from Legacy RMK Site without having to go through the full fledged grueling 16-weeks of implementation”
The approach here is quite simple and I would aptly name it as Self-Propelled and Self-paced implementation from the customer’s point of view, although this would not supplant the role of actual implementation consultants completely but would rather complement it. There would be two crucial steps involved in this approach.
- One is where the customer has a dedicated team who will not only go through a series of Admin Training on how to work on the user interface of Career Site Builder, but also manage the internal discussions or cerebration on finalizing the color scheme, font-types, font-styles, font-sizes, images, graphics or other media content which fit in with the overall branding requirements of the organization. This will be done in the test/preview system, and once all the designs/configurations are conceived, discussed, debated, revisited , reconfigured and finally UAT’d, it will be time to move this to Production system which is where our next step comes into picture
- Unlike Production migration activities in other modules, RMK Production migration is a fairly easy task. The customers could themselves do this using the ‘Import & Export’ option in ‘Tools’ in the UI of CSB, but this option does not always work for importing of all ‘Category Pages’. This is where the Implementation Consultants are required. It is imperative for any RMK Implementation consultants to check if both test/preview and Production instances have same languages activated or else the import fails. Consultants also need to make sure whatever Categories configured in test/preview system need to move accurately to Production System. If the customer wishes to discard all the categories from the old legacy site, make sure you delete the categories in the Command center of legacy site before you import the new one’s from the test/preview system, lest you would be mixing up the old and new categories. Only after ‘Language’ activation and ‘Category’ import task is done, go for the site import via CSB. Please note that all the above activities can be done only after activating ‘Career Site Builder’ option in Provisioning and Command Center, which is again in the precious domain of all our esteemed Implementation Consultants.
As I explained earlier, this is a tried and tested approach where we had successfully facilitated two customers to transition to CSB very smoothly. There are certain downsides to this approach
- One would be that during the period between the activation of CSB in test/preview system till the time the new configurations were migrated to Production environment, we were informed that the Product Support does not entertain any tickets raised on issues related to Production Legacy RMK Site. This might be because of the assumption that Production might be transitioning to CSB soon.
- Limitations when it comes to building an exact replica of Legacy Site in CSB. One of our customers faced this issue when they wanted to do a similar configuration of their legacy site and they could not replicate it due to limitations in CSB.
- The timelines might not be as organized as a implementation partner would execute. It might take less or more than the standard time of 16 weeks for a standard RMK CSB implementation (1 Home Page, 3 Content Pages, 10 Category Pages)
Ultimately this will serve as a cost saving alternative for lot of customers who want to transition to RMK site using Career Site Builder from Legacy RMK Site without having to go through the full fledged gruelling 16-weeks of implementation, and the experience of creation of the site will serve as a Knowledge Base within the organization for a considerable time to come.