In the previous blog I showed you how to analyze the evaluation results to gain insights on a detailed level and to start the correction of erroneous data. In this last part you see what MDG offers to get a data quality overview at a glance and how this still allows you to drill down to the detailed findings of the evaluation.
Part 4 – Using data quality scores
The Data Quality Evaluation Overview
- The app tile for Data Quality Evaluation Overview – Products already displays a data quality score as the most immediate piece of information. Note that this tile always displays the score of a particular data quality category, namely the category Global, and that the score might not be visible until you have set this up!
- The overview page provides you with a summary of the most recent data quality evaluation and a trend of the data quality score. Again, the cards that display scores might not show data until you have completed the following steps.
All cards offer the possibility to navigate into more detailed views.
Creating a data quality category and data quality dimensions
- You use the app Configure Score Calculation – Products to create new data quality dimensions or data quality categories and to assign rules to data quality dimensions.
As an example we will create a new data quality category and dimension, then assign your rule to the new dimension.
Launch the app.
- You see an overview of the already available categories and their scores.
- Click on the add button to create a new category.
- Enter a name for the new category. Also enter some values in the fields for Target Score, Warning Score and Critical Score. Click on the add button in the section Dimensions to create a new dimension.
Important: The app Data Quality Evaluation Overview is bound to one single data quality category that must be named Global.
- Enter a name for your dimension, for example: Completeness. Then press the button Add Rule.
- Start typing the ID of your rule to find it in the Add Rule dialog.
- Then select it and press Add Rule.
- Enter an impact of the rule on the data quality dimension. Choose a value from the range:
0 – No impact
1 – Low
2 – Medium
3 – High impact.
Save your entries.
- The UI will update and display the score of the rule, its weighting, as well as the scores of the dimension and category in the color according to the values you have chosen for the warning and critical levels.
Analyze the score of your data quality category
- You have already seen that you can view the scores of the data quality category Global using the app Data Quality Evaluation Overview. To analyze the score of other dimension categories, click on the tile Data Quality Score For Products – Dimension Category.
- Click on your category, then (as an example) click on Score By Rule.
- From the score of the rule, you can navigate to the evaluation results in detail.
- … where you can further analyze the evaluation results.
…at least for now 🙂
This was the last part of this blog series. I hope you liked it. Thanks for reading!
Feel free to follow me to get notified when I post more information on master data quality management.