SAP HANA SPS 12 What’s New: High Availability and Disaster Recovery – by the SAP HANA Academy
In the upcoming weeks we will be posting new videos to the SAP HANA Academy to show new features and functionality introduced with SAP HANA Support Package Stack (SPS) 12.
The topic of this blog is high availability and disaster recovery.
For the complete list of blogs see: What’s New with SAP HANA SPS 12 – by the SAP HANA Academy
For the SPS 11 version, see SAP HANA SPS 11 What’s New: HA/DR – by the SAP HANA Academy
Monitoring System Replication with the SAP HANA cockpit
The System Replication tile in the SAP HANA cockpit now displays the operation mode, together with replication mode, tiers and status.
The overview page of the System Replication app displays (configurable) information for both primary and secondary sites, a performance graph with network statistics and a tile for Alerts, that links back to the Alerts app in the SAP HANA cockpit. From the status bar, the Log File Viewer can be opened.
The System Replication Details view displays information on the operation mode, the replayed log position, as well as the replayed log position time.
In a system replication scenario, the SAP HANA Cockpit for Offline Administration can be used to perform a takeover from the primary side by the secondary site.
System Replication Alerts
A new alert (#94 – Log replay backlog for system replication secondary) is raised when the system replication log replay backlog is increased. Thresholds and schedule are configurable.
Monitoring System Parameter Changes
The configuration parameter checker reports on any differences between primary, secondary, and – new for SPS 12 – tier-3 secondary systems. Also new with SPS 12 is that you can now replicate the system (or .ini file) parameters based on alerts. The parameter replication can be enabled to all sites.
enable = true
replicate = true
Initializing the Secondary
Apart from using a full data backup, it is now possible to initialize the secondary system using a binary storage copy, that is, either a snapshot or a full offline database copy.
Alerting of Secondary Systems
The Alerts app of the SAP HANA cockpit now also displays alerts issued by secondary system hosts.
Supported Replication Modes Between Sites
In a multitier system replication scenario, support for ASYNC replication has been extended with both SYNCMEM and SYNC. In other words, all replication modes are supported for all sites.
For more information see:
SAP Help Portal
- SAP HANA High Availability and Disaster Recovery (New and Changed) – What’s New in the SAP HANA Platform (Release Notes)…
- Monitoring INI File Parameter Changes – SAP HANA Administration Guide – SAP Library
- Initializing the Secondary – SAP HANA Administration Guide – SAP Library
- Monitoring Secondary Sites – SAP HANA Administration Guide – SAP Library
- Supported Replication Modes between Sites – SAP HANA Administration Guide – SAP Library
- Tile Catalog: SAP HANA System Replication – SAP HANA Administration Guide – SAP Library
- System Replication Details – SAP HANA Administration Guide – SAP Library
- Tiles for Offline Administration – SAP HANA Administration Guide – SAP Library
- Perform a Takeover – SAP HANA Administration Guide – SAP Library
- System Replication Alerts – SAP HANA Administration Guide – SAP Library
- 2063657 – HANA System Replication takeover decision guideline
- 1999880 – FAQ: SAP HANA System Replication
- How to Perform System Replication for SAP HANA
- SAP HANA System Replication videos now available on the SAP HANA Academy
- Introduction: High Availability for SAP HANA | SCN
Thank you for watching
You can view more free online videos and hands-on use cases to help you answer the What, How and Why questions about SAP HANA and the SAP HANA Cloud Platform on the SAP HANA Academy at youtube.com/saphanaacademy.
Follow us on Twitter @saphanaacademy.
Connect with us on http://linkedin.com/in/saphanaacademy.
Thank you for watching
The SAP HANA Academy provides free online video tutorials for the developers, consultants, partners and customers of SAP HANA.
Topics range from practical how-to instructions on administration, data loading and modeling, and integration with other SAP solutions, to more conceptual projects to help build out new solutions using mobile applications or predictive analysis.
For the full library, see SAP HANA Academy Library – by the SAP HANA Academy.
For the full list of blogs, see Blog Posts – by the SAP HANA Academy.