This is the second blog in the series of Success Stories created by FIT Consulting by using NetWeaver Technology Platform. The first blog (Why did FIT choose NetWeaver PI for SAP e-Invoicing Solution?) one is about the NetWeaver PI.
Istanbul Deniz Otobusleri A.S.(http://www.ido.com.tr) was founded in 1987 by Istanbul Metropolitan Municipality in order to provide alternate commuting services for Istanbulites. Before IDO city´s sea transportation service provided by State owned Turkish Maritime Organization Inc.
In February 2005 City Line Administration (part of Turkish Maritime Organization), the authority for commuting ferry services in Istanbul became part of IDO which makes the company world leader in term of passenger capacity , fleet size and ports of call serviced.
IDO is using SAP ERP, NetWeaver BW, NetWeaver Portal, NetWeaver PI as SAP landscape. NetWeaver Portal has 3 main use areas:
- Internal Enterprise Portal (ESS&MSS, Document Management, Information,…)
- Ticket Sales and Reservation System (online.ido.com.tr >> World’s 2nd Largest SAP Portal Implementation and subject of another blog)
- IDOBUS Ticket Sales Portal
IDOBUS is mainly aimed to provide cheap tickets for travellers travelling from Istanbul to the Izmir around the Sea of Marmara. System sells ferrybus tickets as well as combined Bus tickets (The Name comes from it. IDO: Ferrybus, BUS: Bus > IDOBUS)
When the system go-live on 7th March 2012, the Ferrybus tickets sold with a price 1 TL (~0.42 €) for tickets from Istanbul to Bursa and 22 TL (9.25 €) from Istanbul to Izmir.
Currently over 30K tickets sold out on the system since 7th March 2012.
Please visit the IDOBUS via http://www.idobus.com.tr and have a ticket 😎
IDOBUS System Lanscape
IDOBUS Ticket Sales system uses the standart SD scenarios in ERP system for trips, temporary reservations and ticket sales operations running on Portal.
Why NetWeaver Portal?
We decided to use the latest NetWeaver Portal version for Ticket Sales Portal for the following reasons:
- We and customer are familiar with the NetWeaver Portal as the previous Ticket Sales and Reservation System created with this platform.
- Customer required to adapt the know-how of the previous system to IDOBUS system in a very short period of time (Project go-live in 3 months)
- We have more control on Portal System (like session management, resource management, system monitoring on NWA) with the Release 7.3
- We’re using the JSF framework for interface and require to run it on the latest Java release
- Customers SAP systems are outsourced and thus it is easy for outsource company to manage SAP solutions.
- Customer is satisfied with the capabilities of the NetWeaver Portal as they experienced it with previous project.