User Experience Insights
SAP Commerce Cloud’s Continuous Innovation Journey with the Monthly Update Cycle
It has been a year since SAP departed from conventional versioning practices, embracing a continuous version paradigm with version 2211. This shift has been accompanied by a Monthly Update release cycle that promises continuous improvement and adaptability. In this blog post, I’ll revisit SAP Commerce Cloud’s continuous version model, highlighting the benefits, features, and crucial considerations for businesses navigating this transformative journey.
Continuous Version Structure
Since November 2022, SAP Commerce Cloud has adopted a continuous version paradigm. What does it mean? The version number remains static at 2211, indicating the base release. However, the system employs a Monthly update release cycle, marked by incremental changes denoted as 2211.x, where ‘x’ signifies incremental improvements and is not tied to a specific month.
As examples, the table below provides details on productive update releases and their respective timelines.
|Release||Valid as of|
|2211.15||Nov. 14. 2023|
|2211.13||Oct. 10. 2023|
|2211.12||Sep. 12. 2023|
|2211.10||Aug. 10 2023|
You might be wondering why some versions (e.g., 2211.14 or 2211.11) are skipped?
They are actually the preview releases, adhere to the same versioning scheme as productive update releases. However, they are intentionally excluded from the table above as they are designed for non-productive use and only have a very brief validity period as shown below:
|Preview Release||Valid as of||Valid until|
|2211.14||Nov. 08. 2023||Dec. 12. 2023|
|2211.11||Aug. 11. 2023||Sep. 12. 2023|
Monthly Update Release Cycle
Every monthly update brings a blend of crucial elements aimed at refining and fortifying the SAP Commerce Cloud ecosystem. These updates are designed to address various aspects, ensuring the system’s resilience, security, and competitiveness. The key components of each monthly update include:
- Bug Fixes and Security/Compliance Updates
- Resolving bugs and glitches is the primary focus of each monthly update, contributing to a more stable and reliable system.
- Security and compliance updates are seamlessly integrated to enhance the system’s resilience against evolving cyber threats and ensure adherence to regulatory standards.
- New Features and Innovations
- Shipped once per quarter, new features and innovations inject vitality into the system.
- To facilitate a smooth transition for customers, these features are initially in a deactivated state, making updates as straightforward as adopting patches.
- Activating these features is as easy as following instructions provided in the Upgrade Guide of SAP Commerce Cloud, fostering a user-friendly experience.
- A complete list of all features for each update can be found in: What’s New in SAP Commerce Cloud in the Public Cloud
- Cumulative, Backward Compatible Updates
- Monthly updates are cumulative, meaning that each release incorporates all previous changes, bug fixes, and new features.
- Backward compatibility is prioritized, ensuring that existing functionalities remain unaffected by updates.
Support and Adoption Guidelines
To maintain optimal system performance and stay current with the latest improvements, customers are encouraged to adhere to the following guidelines:
1. Six-Month Support Window
- Each monthly update receives support for a duration of six months. Below, you’ll find some examples along with their respective timelines. (or a more complete/recent list here)
|Release||Valid as of||Valid until|
|2211.15||Nov. 14. 2023||May. 14. 2024|
|2211.13||Oct. 10. 2023||Apr. 16. 2024|
|2211.12||Sep. 12. 2023||Mar. 26. 2024|
|2211.10||Aug. 10 2023||Feb. 13. 2024|
- Customers must be on a supported update within this timeframe to prevent build failures when using Cloud Portal and ensure ongoing support. A straightforward way to verify this is to check the Builds workspace on the Cloud Portal GUI as illustrated below:
2. End of Mainstream Maintenance (EOMM):
3. Compliance and Risk Mitigation:
- Running a current, supported version is mandatory for compliance with agreements.
- Failing to upgrade exposes businesses to software defects, performance issues, and security vulnerabilities.
For assistance with project updates, we recommend exploring our diverse range of services tailored to accommodate various types of upgrades.
SAP Commerce Cloud’s transition to a continuous version model and a Monthly update release cycle reflects a commitment to innovation, stability, and customer satisfaction. Embracing this transformative approach empowers businesses to harness the latest advancements in e-commerce technology while ensuring a seamless and secure digital commerce experience. The continuous innovation journey not only ensures ongoing innovation but also positions businesses to thrive in the ever-changing realm of digital commerce.