User Experience Insights
Catalogs in Plant Maintenance
Catalogs in Sap Plant Maintenance:
- Catalogs is one of the master data in Sap Plant Maintenance module.
- It is used in the various business process to capture the information related to maintenance history in the form of codes.
- From the catalogs, generate a various reports to analyze and track maintenance activities, costs and inventory management.
- Catalog profile will group different characteristics of the notification which will cater needs of management to analyze the company assets & to ascertain the decisions accordingly.
- catalog profile have sub class code groups which will group the codes as per the feature.
- All the codes(Damage, Cause, Task & Activities) illustrate why an asset failed at the time of production, what is the cause of failure, tasks to be performed & activities done for that failure.
- The use of codes in SAP System ensures a consistent way of documenting the key aspects of the damage, cause, etc..
Some examples include :
- Wear and Tear
- Over heating
CATALOG STRUCTURE :
CATALOG ⇒ CODE GROUP ⇒ CODE
WHY CATALOGS ?
Catalog profile are used in sap which enables subsequent analysis possible, which lead to net improved system availability. For example, number of times Breakage failure occurs, divided by the total operating age of the equipment, approximate the failure rate. For maintenance organizations that don’t use failure codes, determining any sort of failure trend is a labor intensive process of searching through work orders.
WHY SHOULD YOU USE THEM?
Knowing the failure rate for a failure code can help in doing the following:
- Optimize the PM interval
- Improve failure response
- Improve work practices
- Object wise, Defect wise, Cause wise notifications can be listed
- By mentioning the catalogs in notification, maintenance department person can understand the malfunction quickly
- It will make the PM process more Transparent
- Material Usage Report, Root cause failure analysis report, MTTR MTBF report, Cost Analysis report, Inventory Management Report.
The consistent use of failure codes / cause codes provides a convenient method of getting statistics equipment failure of breakdowns.
Definition of Code and Code groups
Definition of code groups & codes in sap are very much important to build the common ERP among different category of people among different skills of people.
In general, different catalog types will be used on regular basis. Each company have their own standards to define catalog types. Each company will have their own standard in naming those catalog types.
As the name of these catalog types are different within company across different locations.
|JAMD||EQUIPMENT UNDER JAMMED COND|
|WETR||WEAR AND TEAR PROBLEMS|
By defining the Catalog codes as per standards, the codes can be used & be recognized by different category of peoples & different level of people.
This will make the common SAP system across the locations.
Some important transactions of Analysis:
- QS41 – Maintain Catalogs
- MCI5 – Damage Analysis (based on the Damage, Cause, Activity Analysis can be done by listing number of notifications).
- IW69 – List of items with Damages, Causes & other catalog details.
- IW65 – List of Activities with Damages, Causes & other catalog details.
- IW67 – List of task done for the damages.
Below screenshot which refers the Catalog profile in the Maintenance Notification:
In the Items tab,
In the Tasks tab,
In the activity tab,
While done the above mentioned screenshots, we can able to see the the Damage Analysis like the below mentioned screenshot with graphical representation.
In IW69 – List of Damages, Causes and other Catalogs
In IW65 – List of Activities with Damages, Causes & other Catalog details
In IW67 – List of Tasks done for the damages