SAP Readiness Check Optimization
You are preparing your move from SAP ERP system to SAP S/4HANA using the “System Conversion” approach and would like to perform an analysis of your system by running the SAP Readiness Check tool for SAP S/4HANA, to help scope and plan your conversion project.
From years of experience as member of SAP S/4HANA Customer Care and RIG team, I have found running our SAP Readiness Check at the beginning of any conversion project to be essential to gain an understanding of the most important aspects for an SAP ERP 6.0 system conversion to SAP S/4HANA.
First, make sure you always read and apply the latest updated SAP Readiness Check SAP Notes.
- SAP Note 2913617 – SAP Readiness Check for SAP S/4HANA
To perform an SAP Readiness Check analysis, proceed as follows:
Step 1: Environment Preparation
- Implement the preparation SAP Notes defined within SAP Note 2913617 in your development environment.
- Transport the SAP Notes to the productive SAP ERP 6.0 system to be analyzed.
- Optional: To get the latest product version information and simplification items from SAP, choose Update Catalog with latest version from SAP in report /SDF/RC_START_CHECK via transaction SA38.
Step 2: Data Collection
- Execute the SAP Readiness Check data collection report (RC_COLLECT_ANALYSIS_DATA) in your production or copy of production environment.
- Choose Schedule Analysis to schedule the master job to collect data.
- Select the Download Analysis Data option in the data collection report once the collection process completes.
- Optional: Review the data collected in the compressed file.
- Optional: Alter the data collected as required to address any potential data protection concerns and then repackage the contents.
- Optional: Check the XML file content via the browser.
Step 3: Analysis Creation
- Open the SAP Readiness Check landing page.
- Choose Start New Analysis, complete the presented form, and choose Create. At this point, the data contained within the compressed file is being uploaded and processed in the SAP Readiness Check application, which is a cloud-based solution owned by SAP.
- Once the data is completely processed, the analysis status will change from In Preparation to Available, which indicates that the analysis is available for viewing.
- Optional: To generate an offline version of the results in a word processing program, choose Generate Document at the top of the dashboard view.
Step 4: Custom Code Analysis (Recommended)
SAP Readiness Check should be executed in the production system and must be run in the productive client, with the exception of the simplification item consistency check (Simplification Item Consistency checkbox). This ensures that all checks are executed properly.
While executing the SAP Readiness Check data collection report (RC_COLLECT_ANALYSIS_DATA) with all scope selection selected, you noticed that the report runs for a long time. Instead of selecting all scope selection in RC_COLLECT_ANALYSIS_DATA, you can split the scope selections and upload the results as they finish. You can upload the outputs as each report/scope selection completes.
Recommendations: Reduce the number of scope selections per run. You can upload the output after each successful run.
Execute report RC_COLLECT_ANALYSIS_DATA using transaction code SE38. Select individual “Scope Selection” and schedule them individually. In this example, we selected all “Scope Selection”, except for “Financial Data Quality“. We will be running “Financial Data Quality” on its own with optimized parallel jobs. Select “Schedule Analysis” to start Readiness Check report. Save zip files to be uploaded to the SAP Readiness Check dashboard.
Next, select “Expert Mode”. Here you can optimize the number of parallel jobs for General Ledger, Asset Accounting and Material Ledger in scope selection “Financial Data Quality”. Run the Financial Data Quality on its own with optimized settings.
After enabling “Expert Mode“, you will now have the option to maintain parallel jobs for scope selection “Financial Data Quality“. Check whether values for parallel jobs and entries are populated. If not, you can either do it manually or use the “Apply Recommended Parallel Job Values” button. Select “Schedule Analysis” to start Readiness Check report. Save zip files to be uploaded to the SAP Readiness Check dashboard.
After completing the all scope selections for RC_COLLECT_ANALYSIS_DATA report, you will now upload results into the SAP Readiness Check cloud application.
Upload the Collected Data
To upload the collected data, take the following steps:
- Launch the landing page for the SAP Readiness Check cloud application (link: https://me.sap.com/readinesscheck).
- Choose Start New Analysis.
- After a short period of time, usually less than half an hour, the status of the analysis will change from In Preparation to Available. You will need to refresh your browser or choose Refresh to get the updated status.
- Once the analysis is Available, you can open the analysis to find an interactive dashboard where you can explore the results of the analysis. The Learn More side panel and the embedded help capabilities can assist you as you explore and start to capture next steps.
How to share SAP Readiness results with SAP
Once the analysis is created, it is visible to all s-users that belong to the same customer number. No additional setup is required. If you want to share the analysis with SAP or partners, you can proceed as follows:
- Choose Settings at the top of the dashboard view to maintain the email addresses of the SAP and/or partner employees that you want to grant access to your analysis results. The prerequisite is that the email address provided must be associated with an SAP ID Service account. Please also note that there is no email notification generated as part of this process. Once the email address is assigned, you will need to provide the URL to your analysis to the intended recipient.
- Create a new s-user account linked to the customer number used in the creation of the analysis.
- Use the Generate Document function at the top of the dashboard view to generate an offline version of the analysis in a word processing program to distribute the results.
If you have any issues, please open an incident with the following component.
SV-SCS-S4R SAP Readiness Check
Brought to you by the SAP S/4HANA Customer Care and RIG team