Accelerate your move from SAP Lumira Designer to SAP Analytics Cloud
With the unification of the Story and Analytic Application in SAP Analytics Cloud, we have delivered the foundation for low-code / no-code Storytelling and Dashboarding. Looking at the planned features ahead (like Composites and Custom Widget Add-on) , we are enabling our customers to accelerate the move from SAP Lumira to SAP Analytics Cloud. Now it’s time to move your dashboards and benefit from simplifying your analytic applications and a low maintenance cloud solution.
Details about Unified Story please refer to below blogs:
SAP Lumira Designer and SAP Analytics Cloud
SAP Lumira Designer is known as the powerful on-premise tool for creating analysis applications and customized dashboards based on live connections to SAP BW, SAP HANA and SAP BusinessObjects Universes.
SAP Analytics Cloud is a cloud-based solution which combines dashboarding, planning, predictive, exploration and modeling capabilities all together consuming data from various live and import connections like SAP BW, SAP HANA and SAP Datasphere. The Analytics Catalog enables seamless access to all different types of artefacts (internal and external).
The new Optimized Story delivered in Q2 2023 provides even more no-code capabilities compared to SAP Lumira Designer.
Advantages of SAP Analytics Cloud
For your transition project we do not recommend to re-build functionality one by one. Instead, we recommend simplifying your dashboards by using our built in low-code / no-code features. Please re-think the approach for your scenarios by fully leveraging SAP Analytics Cloud capabilities to add more business value for your use cases and reduce the maintenance effort.
With the evolvement of Analytics Designer and Optimized Story, now SAP Analytics Cloud provides a lot of advantages compared to SAP Lumira:
- Cloud-based solution, no need to deploy and maintain the solution in your landscape.
- It can connect variety of data sources in addition to the live connections of SAP BW, SAP HANA, SAP Datasphere and SAP Universes.
- Seamless integration with Planning, Exploration and Predictive capabilities. E.g. now you can directly navigate from chart/table in Story to Data Analyzer per context menu for further exploration scenarios. In Lumira you need to write codes to combine these Dashboarding and Generic Analysis scenario.
- Story designer and developer can work together within one integrated design time while Lumira Designer and Lumira Discovery has separate design time.
- Ease of development through no-code capabilities like different types of Input Control, Calculations, out-of-box Story filter, standard dialogs for Bookmarks and Export to PDF/CSV.
- It provides more visualization options on chart like variances, time series chart, IBCS notation, in cell-chart in table etc.
- Advanced responsive layout support for all desktop resolutions and mobile devices.
- SAP Analytics Cloud provides the Data Change Insight capability to actively inform the users about critical thresholds.
- SAP Analytics Cloud provides the capability that user can save their comments in SAP BW while the comments can only be saved on BI Platform in SAP Lumira Designer.
- The widget customization add-on planned for QRC4/2023 enables you to configure your own chart components (like tooltip, plot area, etc.) based on the standard SAP Analytics Cloud charts. In Lumira you need to build a completely new custom widget to cover this scenario.
- SAP Analytics Cloud provides more capabilities to interact and integrate with SAP or third-party applications, like URL parameters, the post-message API and OData connections.
There are even more detailed advantages like Story Theme, Configurable Toolbar, Vertical Filter Panel, Data Blending capability etc. For more details, please refer to the above Blog link about Unification of Story and Analytical Application.
Things to Consider while moving SAP Lumira Dashboards to SAP Analytics Cloud
Do not expect to map your detailed functionalities one by one from SAP Lumira Designer to SAP Analytics Cloud. Please check your entire scenario and re-think how you can leverage the current SAP Analytics Cloud capabilities. Take the opportunity to simplify your Dashboard (like now you can use input control instead of building your own filter control, leverage linked analysis instead of writing scripts). This will streamline your development and maintenance effort.
Based on your use case, we recommend you to consider the below options while moving your SAP Lumira Designer scenarios to SAP Analytics Cloud:
Ad-hoc slide/dice analysis (Generic Analysis Scenario):
- Please consider using Data Analyzer. Data Analyzer in SAP Analytics Cloud enables you to do table based slide and dice ad-hoc analysis. It is a standalone tool with own authorizations, is pre-configured and can be used out of the box. Styles can be adjusted, and Insights can be saved and shared with SAP Analytics Cloud users.
- Consider using the Standard mode of Optimized Story to cover simple Lumira Designer scenarios. This provides a variety of out-of-box filter controls and calculations that needed to be coded in SAP Lumira Designer
- Consider using the Advanced mode of Optimized Story to cover complex Lumira Designer scenarios. There you have similar features like scripting and eventing as in SAP Lumira Designer.
Please also refer to the blog: Navigating the path to SAP Analytics Cloud: Re-platforming from Lumira
We are continuing delivering innovations in SAP Analytics Cloud to cover SAP Lumira Designer scenarios. Composites are identified as the major gap between SAP Lumira Desiger and SAP Analytics Cloud. With the QRC4/2023 release as the first delivery, you can build your re-usable parts as composites and then re-use these composites across stories. Composites are artefacts in SAP Analytics Cloud and are integrated in the entire SAP Analytics Cloud life cycle management.
For future releases we will further work on new innovations to provide more no-code features to accelerate your return on investment.
Please stay tuned! For other innovations, please refer to SAP Roadmap Explorer.