Comparing SAP Analytics Cloud and Crystal Reports
We have recently released a new free learning journey Discovering SAP Crystal Reports. What makes this solution special? Let`s answer this question by comparing it with SAP`s reporting flagship, SAP Analytics Cloud.
– Crystal Reports: Crystal Reports is primarily a reporting tool. It allows users to create static reports from various data sources. It is particularly well suited to creating printable reports that are distributed in paper or electronic form.
– SAP Analytics Cloud: SAP Analytics Cloud is a more comprehensive analytics platform. It offers data visualization, analysis, predictive and planning capabilities. It is more suitable for performing interactive dashboards, data visualizations and ad hoc analysis.
- Data sources:
– Crystal Reports: Crystal Reports can pull data from a variety of data sources including databases, Excel files, CSV files and more.
– SAP Analytics Cloud: SAP Analytics Cloud can also integrate data from various sources including databases, Excel files, CSV files, cloud storage, business applications and more.
- Timed processing:
– Crystal Reports reports can be scheduled in a variety of ways. Very complex report distribution scenarios can be created that enable automated workflows for personalized report generation and thus keep the number of reports to be maintained small.
– SAP Analytics Cloud: SAP Analytics Cloud can also send reports and dashboards on a time-controlled basis, but unlike Crystal Reports, the personalization options and the selectable output formats are still limited.
- 4. Interactivity:
– Crystal Reports: Crystal Reports offers limited interactivity and is best suited for static reports. It’s not as focused on collaboration and real-time interaction.
– SAP Analytics Cloud: SAP Analytics Cloud offers a great interactivity. Users can filter data, drill down, and make real-time changes in dashboards and reports. It also enables real-time collaboration between users. In addition, many analysis functions are available to users without having to change the reports.
- Cloud Capability:
– Crystal Reports: Crystal Reports reports are generated using a desktop application. However, the reports are mainly displayed in the browser in a web application. For a long time, this web application was provided as an on-premise solution by the so-called BI Platform. SAP has now moved to offering this BI platform in a private cloud.
– SAP Analytics Cloud: SAP Analytics Cloud is a cloud-based solution that is accessible from various locations. It can connect to other cloud solutions as a data source better than Crystal Reports.
– Crystal Reports: Crystal Reports costs vary depending on license type and number of users.
– SAP Analytics Cloud: The cost of SAP Analytics Cloud also depends on various factors, including the number of users and desired features.
Overall, the choice between Crystal Reports and SAP Analytics Cloud depends on your specific needs. If you need to create mostly static reports, Crystal Reports might be enough. However, if you need more comprehensive analytics and planning capabilities, real-time interaction and collaboration, SAP Analytics Cloud might be a better choice.
If you want to get familiar with Crystal Reports, pelase join our new learning journey Discovering SAP Crystal Reports.
Fill the gap through upskilling and enjoy SAP’s learning offerings on the SAP Learning site. This article is created and brought to you by SAP Product Learning CoE experts!
Written by Michael Melters