Removal of Prometheus/Grafana-based monitoring in SAP BTP, Kyma runtime
I’m part of the team working on the Observability feature for SAP BTP, Kyma runtime, and in my previous blog post: Deprecation of Prometheus/Grafana based monitoring in SAP BTP, Kyma runtime, I announced the deprecation of the monitoring functionality based on Prometheus and Grafana. Today, I’d like to inform you about the imminent removal of the functionality with Kyma release 2.20 (planned for November 2023).
The removal of the integrated Prometheus/Grafana installation affects the following features:
- You will lose access to Grafana and the ability to browse metrics for up to 30 days.
- You will lose access to the Prometheus API and the ability to access metrics for up to 30 days.
Still, the following options will not be affected:
- You can manually install the classic in-cluster monitoring solution. Read Installing a custom Prometheus stack in Kyma for more details.
- You can continue bringing your custom solution for the collection and long-term storage of metrics inside or outside the cluster.
- You can continue integrating with commercial monitoring offerings as for example outlined in the mission Extend a Kyma Based Multitenant Application With Day 2 Operations.
Kyma’s feature for storing and browsing metrics based on Prometheus and Grafana will be removed from the SAP BTP, Kyma runtime in version 2.20.
If you haven’t integrated your solution with an external monitoring system yet, this is the right time to start evaluating and implementing it: For example, integrate with a 3rd-party provider like Dynatrace, or implement a custom installation of Prometheus/Grafana.