Step by Step Guide : Greenhouse Gas Recording in SAP Sustainability Control Tower
This blog post highlights the new features around Greenhouse gas recording available in SAP Sustainability Control Tower.
The key benefits of Guided GHG Recording applications are :
- Easy way to collect GHG Emission data covering all scopes at the required granularity to fulfil common reporting needs.
- Allow consistent reporting on GHG Emission in context of organisation wide ESG reporting by integrating with SCT structures and processes.
- Support different means of data collection, manual, bulk data upload, direct system integration.
Process Flow for GHG recording scenario :
For GHG recording, user continues to configure master data as for other scenarios and Additionally can also setup emission inventory for all the activity types. After the creation, the data can be recorded for each activities. Post validations and publishing, user is ready with a glorified dashboard on all the scopes(1,2,3).
- Manage Emission Inventory
- Collect Emission Data
- View Emissions Dashboard
Lets have a sneak preview on each of the applications :
Manage Emission Inventory
- Manage Emission Inventory application acts as an accounting , by activity type , of the amounts of pollutants actually emitted to the atmosphere over arbitrarily many periods of time.
- Allows creation of activity types as well as activities. Each activity type act as a customer-specific quantifier for a group of activities that emit emissions.
- Configure your activity types when its ready to record carbon emission values or archive when not in use.
- Activity types are associated with a scope category or source category.
- By creating and managing activity types and activities, the user builds up their emission inventory.
Collect Emission Data
- Collect Emission Data application is used to record carbon emission values for the activities which are in active state. [ Created at emission inventory ].
- Data is always recorded at a specific period level.
- Data can be recorded at each activity level depending upon Scopes.
- For GHG scope 2 , user has the capability of adding data using one of the allocation methods- location-based or market-based.
- Once recorded, user can Import the data to DPI (Data Provided Interface).
- After a successful import, user should be able to Validate and Publish the data in CPE ( Calculation and Processing Engine )
- Post successful publishing , user can view the data in View Emission dashboard application.
View Emissions Dashboard
- Enhanced dashboards for GHG Scope 1-3 including gross and net emissions.
- Granular filters based on Periods , Business Location and allocation method.
- Emissions dashboard consists of 3 views :
- Overview – Glorified view on the scope or source categories for all the scopes(1-3) including net and gross emissions.
- Report – emissions view in a table format which can also be downloaded.
- Analytics – Total new emissions can be viewed per scope/activity type/activities ( Totally customisable ).
This is how end to end GHG emissions can be recorded , tracked and eventually steered.
Additional Information & Updates
We will continue to co-innovate with our customers and partners so that we all build a sustainable world. Anticipating that together we can enable a future with zero emissions, zero waste and zero inequality 🙂