Renumbering G/L Account Process in a 3-System Landscape in S/4HANA Cloud: A Comprehensive Guide
S/4HANA Cloud, Public Edition Delivers a Charts of Accounts which is a generic template and may not meet all industry/country-specific requirements. And many organizations may want to continue with their existing account codes which could be of SAP or non-SAP Account codes.
The process of renumbering G/L accounts facilitates the adaptation of the standard chart of accounts to meet specific Chart of Account (COA) requirements.
Summary of Renumbering Process
- Renumbering and renaming process is done in the Development System and transported to Quality and Production system.
- You can execute the process multiple times for a G/L Account but ensure that there are no postings in the Test (Quality) and Production systems.
- In productive mode, when adding new scope items or introducing new country versions, adapt G/L accounts by renumbering and renaming them in the Development System before entering postings for these new accounts in the Production System.
- If your G/L account IDs exceed the default length i.e., 8 characters. Then you should change the length of G/L Account in the “Edit Chart of Accounts List” config step.
- G/L Which you do not want to map or use, marked them as Not Used.
- It will set the G/L with Not Used
- It will block the G/Ls in Development system.
- It will also remove them from transport request which means, these G/Ls will not be seen in Quality and Production system.
- In future you can use them by removing and not used and Block indicators. With or without mapping.
- To prevent the usage of certain accounts in the P system but retain them for testing purposes in the D system, you should mark them as “Not used.” Afterward, remove the posting block, ensuring they won’t be transported to the P system and remain available for test postings in the D system.
- Take particular care when renumbering G/L accounts that play a role in automatic account determination. Renumbering process also change the G/Ls in configuration and Financial Statement Version.
- Ensure that you always renumber G/L accounts with the same purpose to avoid potential issues. Otherwise, incorrect properties may be assigned to the G/L account, leading to transaction errors. For instance, if you renumber an Accounts Payable reconciliation G/L as an Accounts Payable Provision G/L, the new G/L may retain the nature of a reconciliation G/L, making it unsuitable for direct postings of provisions, which are not allowed on reconciliation G/Ls.
- If you don’t keep or map G/Ls that are assigned in the configuration or allocation cycles, it will require extensive manual configurations.
- Ensure that when utilizing the group chart of accounts YGR1 and marking G/L accounts as “Not Used,” you assign a group account number to the specific accounts that you wish to modify.
- Renumbering can be done for Operating Chart of Account (YCOA), Group Chart of Account (YGR1), and Alternative/Local Chart of Accounts.
- This Renumbering process is not available/ allowed in Starter System. In fact, it is not required also.
- Please follow further instruction at Renumbering G/L Accounts: Overview | SAP Help Portal
- Chart of Account Configuration – Overview.pptx (SAP Customer) this PPT will give you step wise instruction. It is available on roadmapviewer (https://go.support.sap.com/roadmapviewer/#) for customers.
Authorization Required for Renumbering Process
- You need an approve while you release the mapping. List of the approvers would appear who have the authorization of catalog “SAP_FIN_BC_GL_MD_COA_PC”. It could be the one who is doing the mapping.
|SAP_BR_BPC_EXPERT||SAP_CA_BC_IC_LND_GL_MAP_PC||Renumber G/L Accounts|
|SAP_BR_ADMINISTRATOR||SAP_FIN_BC_GL_MD_COA_PC||Convert Renumbered G/L Accounts|
Execution of Renumbering Process
- You can renumber and change the description.
- You can renumber one G/L at a time.
- You can renumber multiple G/L at time.
- You can renumber with download and upload feature.
Step 1: Renumber G/L Accounts App
Click + button or Click All G/Ls in Auto-populate button.
Select your Administrator.
Step2: Release in My Inbox App
Approve the mapping.
Step3: Convert Renumber G/L Accounts App
Excel Upload method
Line items 1,2,3,4 and 6 is being mapped.
Line item 5 is not mapped, and business do not want to keep in their chart of accounts in production.
G/L Code Renumber Section
Description changes Section
Disclaimer: This article is intended solely for educational purposes. When engaging in customer projects or working with SAP S/4HANA Cloud, Public Edition, it is essential to follow and seek guidance from the official SAP documentation available on https://help.sap.com/docs/ for S/4HANA Cloud, Public Edition.