Enhancing SAP Analytics Cloud: The Power of UX and Accessibility
Co-author: Friederike Zydorek – SAP
Have you ever felt that no matter how smooth your reports run, there’s always something that needs extra attention? Small touches, missing explanation text, or a chart not working as expected – these are common challenges for any BI developer. In this blog, we’ll dive into why User Experience (UX) and accessibility are critical for dashboard creation within SAC and how they impact user satisfaction and decision-making.
The general reasons
UX and accessibility play a critical role in the success of dashboard creation within SAC. When designing dashboards, it is essential to keep the end-users in mind to ensure a seamless and engaging experience. A well-crafted UX enhances user satisfaction, increases productivity, and promotes data-driven decision-making. Furthermore, accessibility considerations are vital to ensure that all users, regardless of their abilities, can interact with the dashboard effectively. By incorporating accessible design principles, such as proper color contrast, keyboard navigation, and screen reader compatibility, we can ensure that the dashboard is comprehensive and usable for everyone.
Ignoring UX and accessibility can lead to frustration, reduced adoption, and limited insights from data. Thus, prioritizing UX and accessibility is not just a best practice but a critical necessity for creating impactful and user-friendly dashboards in SAC which adheres to international standards, including the International Business Communication Standards (IBCS). The IBCS verification means that SAC meets the firm criteria set by the globally recognized standard for reporting and visualization. This validation ensures that your dashboards in SAC are designed with consistency, clarity, and coherence, facilitating better comprehension and decision-making for users.
Why is it worth elaborating on UX and accessibility?
- Improved User Adoption: A well-designed dashboard with a user-friendly interface and intuitive navigation encourages higher user adoption rates. Users are more likely to engage with the dashboard regularly and gain valuable insights from the data.
- Enhanced Data Understanding: Clear and crisp visualizations, along with thoughtful interactions, help users interpret data more effectively. Intuitive design elements enable users to explore data easily, leading to better decision-making.
- Increased Productivity: An efficiently fit and streamlined user interface saves time for users when accessing and analyzing data. Well-designed dashboards enable users to find the information they need quickly, reducing the time spent on data exploration.
- Consistency Across Devices: With increasing use of mobile devices, ensuring a consistent experience across different screen sizes and devices is crucial. A responsive design and thoughtful mobile optimization enhance accessibility and user satisfaction.
- Compliance and Inclusivity: Prioritizing accessibility ensures compliance with accessibility standards and regulations. Creating dashboards that are fit for all users, including ones with disabilities, fosters a more diverse and supportive work environment.
- Positive User Experience: It leads to greater user satisfaction and loyalty. Users who enjoy interacting with the dashboard are more likely to return for further analysis and share their positive experience with others.
- Reduced Support and Training Efforts: Intuitive design and straightforward interactions reduce the need for extensive user training and support. Users can quickly grasp how to interact with the dashboard, minimizing the learning curve.
- Data-Driven Culture: An exceptional UX and accessible dashboard promote a data-driven culture within an organization. It encourages users at all levels to explore data independently and make data-backed decisions, fostering a data-driven mindset.
- Competitive Advantage: In today’s competitive landscape, organizations that prioritize UX and accessibility gain a competitive advantage. A visually appealing and user-centric dashboard sets an organization apart and enhances its brand reputation.
- Future-proofing: Investing in UX and accessibility from the outset ensures the dashboard’s lifespan and adaptability to changing user needs and technological advancements.
Incorporating UX and accessibility principles into dashboard creation is critical for maximizing the potential of SAC. By placing users at the center of the design process, organizations can create impactful and accessible dashboards that drive data-driven decision-making and business success.
SAP’s Dedication to Accessibility and Cutting-Edge Features in SAP Analytics Cloud: Elevating UX Standards
As part of our ongoing commitment to delivering outstanding user experiences (UX), we are thrilled to highlight SAP’s unwavering dedication to accessibility and the accessibility features integrated into SAP Analytics Cloud. We understand the significance of ensuring that our solutions are accessible to all users, regardless of their abilities. As we continue to shape the future of business intelligence and analytics, accessibility remains at the forefront of our development process.
We actively engage with user groups, conduct usability studies, and collaborate with accessibility experts to ensure we remain at the forefront of accessibility advancements in the industry. SAP Analytics Cloud continuously undergoes extensive enhancements to empower users of all abilities to leverage its full potential.
Our commitment starts with inclusive design principles that emphasize creating products accessible from the ground up. SAP Analytics Cloud boasts an array of features such as keyboard navigation support in the SAP Analytics Cloud Data Analyzer, allowing users with visual impairments or motor disabilities to seamlessly interact with the platform. Furthermore, our dedication to color contrast and proper labeling in stories guarantees optimal usability for all users.
Our users benefit from pre-created high-contrast templates as well as sample stories and Analytic Applications, enabling them to effortlessly transform their regular stories into accessible ones. Furthermore, our Best Practices for Designing Accessible Stories are here to provide additional support and insights to ensure a smooth accessibility journey.
For our Premium Engagement Customers, expert guidance is readily available through design reviews, ensuring they receive personalized assistance in creating truly inclusive experiences and timely updates on the latest advancements.
Reach out to your SAP representative or TQM to take a step on a journey of impactful and user-centric dashboard creation in SAC.
Dashboard Design Guidelines
- Registration is needed at https://dashboarddesign.frontify.com/s/309002/dQKYZooB
Ingo Hilgefort’s Top10 IBCS blog series: