PostgreSQL | How to deploy PostgreSQL on a Kyma environment
This blog post is a series of 3, where our aim is to walkthrough setting up your PostgreSQL service on a Kyma environment:
- PostgreSQL is now available on the Kyma environment (read me first)
- How to deploy PostgreSQL on a Kyma environment (your current read)
- Connect to a PostgreSQL instance on a Kyma environment (read here)
In this second article we will cover how to deploy PostgreSQL on a Kyma environment.
Before connecting to your PostgreSQL instance there are some prerequisites and steps that need to be carried out:
- Have a Global Account, Sub-Account and the necessary PostgreSQL Entitlements (refer to blog one)
This blog covers the creation of instances and bindings using the Kyma Dashboard if you prefer to use the command line tools (kubectl), please follow instructions provided within SAP help and additionally install:
- Install kubectl (refer to Using SAP BTP Services in the Kyma Environment)
- Install kubectl oidc-login (refer to Access a Kyma Instance Using kubectl)
After adding the necessary entitlements to the sub-account, you can now create your first PostgreSQL instance within your Kyma environment.
Go to your SAP BTP Cockpit and select the subaccount where you have your Kyma environment enabled. Select the console URL link (3).
Firstly, within the Kyma dashboard you need to create a new namespace, once created go to ‘Service Management’ > ‘Service Instances’ and select ‘Create Service Instance’ (7).
- In order to create a service instance on Kyma, have in mind which service plan of PostgreSQL you wish to consume.
- You will need to provide the following information:
|Name||<name of your choice>|
|Service Plan Name||<Service plan of your choice>|
Validate the service instance was created successfully
Once you have created your instance successfully you will be able to see it within your SAP BTP Cockpit. Navigate to ‘Services’ > ‘Instances and Subscriptions’, within the instance subsection your new instance will be shown.
Creating a service binding within your Kyma environment
Within the Kyma Dashboard, navigate to your newly created instance and select ‘Create Service Binding ’.
Provide the following information and select ‘Create’. Once successfully created the status will be shown as ‘Provisioned’.
|Name||<name of your choice>|
|Service Instance Name||<select your previously created instance from the drop down>|
Validate the service binding was created successfully
Within the SAP BTP Cockpit your instance will now show your new service binding, click within it for more information.
You have now successfully added a PostgreSQL instance to your Kyma environment.
For information on how to consume your PostgreSQL instance please have a look at our third and final blog here.
Relevant sources of information:
- For detailed information on how to create instances on Kyma please refer to Kyma learning.
- For additional details on Kyma set-ups please access the SAP Help portal and also have a look at the video series provided in the following Kyma blog.
- For more information on PostgreSQL on SAP BTP, hyperscaler option service, please check SAP Help.
- For information on PostgreSQL pricing and commercial options and regions, please check SAP Discovery Center
SAP BTP Backing Services – Product Management