SAP Asset Performance Management – Asset Strategy Overview
One of the main challenges for an asset manager, managing industrial equipment, is to provide high asset availability at optimal cost while ensuring safe and resilient operations. But in order to meet this challenge, you need clarity and visibility on what was proposed and what was actually planned and executed on the ground.
Hence, the goal is to support continuous process improvement by integrating maintenance strategy and execution in a closed loop.
With asset master data at the heart, the SAP Asset Performance Management (“hereinafter abbreviated as “APM”) helps to seamlessly extend SAP Enterprise Asset Management capabilities to provide closed loop integration to define, implement, execute and monitor the optimal asset maintenance.
Aligned asset master data is the key to effect such closed loop integration. SAP APM provides out of the box integration with SAP S/4HANA maintenance management to support the end-to-end business processes.
Industries that want to run on outcome-based operations, focusing on high asset availability, resiliency, and safety, can use APM. The application enables you to
- Carry out risk-based maintenance processes.
- The move to more condition based, predictive and prescriptive maintenance approaches.
- A seamless integration with maintenance management to connect strategies with mitigation actions defined.
- Measurement of efficiency and effectiveness of maintenance programs
- Tools to optimise risk and cost
Pls refer the blog post Converge Asset Strategy and Execution with SAP Asset Performance Management for more details
SAP APM application has two main solution areas i.e Asset Strategy and Asset Health. This blog provides an overview on Asset Strategy.
Asset Strategy helps to define and implement maintenance strategies. It consists of various assessments that can be performed on assets and the resultant mitigation actions as recommendations, can then be implemented.
To define maintenance strategies, one can start by
- Risk and Criticality Assessment: Segmenting the assets through risk & criticality assessment, to focus on critical equipment by applying a risk-based maintenance approach to define maintenance strategies. Feature highlights include,
- Seamless extension of aligned master and configuration data from SAP ERP
- Classify the risk of assets by developing a risk and criticality scores calculated based on standard formulas (min, max, average) for different risk impact categories.
- Use alphanumeric risk matrix to derive the risk score of assets.
- Perform assessments on single or multiple assets.
- Derive actions and maintenance strategies based on the risk and criticality scores.
- Use custom templates and criticality thresholds to standardise the risk and criticality calculation.
- Export and import of risk and criticality assessment to MS excel spreadsheet to enable the user to capture assessment details in offline
- Update of criticality score to SAP ERP as ‘Optional’
- Maintenance Strategy Development by Assessment: Develop maintenance strategies considering critical failure with the help of standard reliability methodologies such as RCM, FMEA etc and to recommend mitigation actions. The maintenance strategies can also be defined and standardised at asset class level, through strategy assessment for classes. Feature highlights include
- Develop leading failure data and recommendations for asset classes to standardise and optimise maintenance strategies for similar assets.
- Use standard reliability methods such as RCM, FMEA* to develop the best maintenance strategy for your critical assets.
- Leverage an aligned and harmonised failure data model between SAP APM and SAP ERP
- Use maintenance history and patterns as input and guidance for assessments.
- Derive, create and assign recommendations to mitigate the likelihood of failures.
- Recommendation Management: Centrally manage failure mitigating recommendations to review, consolidate* and promote for implementation. Feature highlights include
- Make use of a recommendation workbench to manage developed recommendations centrally.
- Review, compare and consolidate* recommendations to derive the best set of recommendations.
- Manage the status of recommendations, approve and release recommendations for implementation.
- Create standalone recommendations to propose mitigation actions based on industry recommended standards, common challenges or training needs and proven methodologies that can be implemented without extensive assessments.
- Recommendation Implementation*: Implement the promoted recommendations as preventive maintenance plans, task lists and condition monitoring rules to drive optimal asset maintenance.
- Analyse and review the promoted recommendations to implement them into relevant planning objects such as maintenance plans, task lists and rules for execution
Note: * Planned
The below picture depicts the features which are currently supported and planned for in the upcoming releases with respect to the APM asset strategy solution area.
Pls refer the below links to know more details about the features supported currently.
- Risk and Criticality Assessments
- Strategy Assessment for Classes
- RCM Assessment for Technical Objects
- Recommendation Management
Link to APM Roadmap