SAP GUI – Transaction Code – SM21
last updated: 2023-07-10
The article explains the SAP GUI – TCODE (Transaction Code): SM21 usage in details.
- SAP Help Portal – SAP GUI for Windows
- SAP Community – SAP GUI – SAP GUI Family
- 147519 – Maintenance strategy / deadlines for SAP GUI for Windows / SAP GUI for Java
Transaction Code SM21 is the system log.
SM21 – Tools -> Administration -> Monitor -> System Log
Screen: Display the system log
Initial screen where the required filters can be selected based on the actual need.
- Date – filter the desired date condition
- Time – filter the desired time condition
- User – specific user name or user name with * character (e.g. USER001 or USER*)
- Client – filter the desired client
- Extended Instance Name – filter the desired instance
- Transaction Code – filter the desired trans. code
- Process No. – filter the desired work process
Screen: Syslog messages
List of the result based on the filtered criteria.
Open the item with double click on the requested row.
Screen: Syslog log details view
❗Note: with “Trace” button we can go directly to the specific development trace file. Same screen than ST11.
Screen: Trace Data
The trace file which belongs to the syslog message.
Based on ‘Date’ and ‘Time’ information the error can be identified.
To export the content use menu: System -> List -> Save -> Save or Local File.
❗Remark: In most cases, the development trace contains all the information needed to address the issue. No further steps are required. In some cases, a deeper analysis is required and additional steps may be required; for example, when the development trace shows a database-related error message, it may be useful to check the problem from the database perspective.
Which SAP Knowledge Base Article belongs to the topic?
- 712706 – Program RSLGVIEW – reading the SAP system log without system
- 2194685 – How to find work process trace for SM21 System Log or ST22 dump
- 2399990 – How-To: Analyzing ABAP Short Dumps in SAP HANA Environments
Other articles in this series
- SAP GUI – Transaction Code – SM37
- SAP GUI – Transaction Code – ST11
- SAP GUI – Transaction Code – ST12
- SAP GUI – Transaction Code – ST22
Do you have further questions?
Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have question or observation regarding the article.
SAP Community for SAP GUI: https://community.sap.com/topics/gui
If you find any missing information belongs to the topic, please let me know. I am happy to add the new content. My intention is to maintain the content continuously to keep the info up-to-date.
|2023.07.10||First/initial Release of the SAP Blog Post documentation (Product Information).|