SAP Commerce Cloud Q2 ’23 Release Highlights
During our annual SAP Sapphire event, we showcased how SAP is blending our 50 years of industry experience with Intelligent Customer Experience (CX). Intelligent CX provides organizations with the end-to-end Customer Experience that is Industry-tailored, Connected, Insightful, and Adaptive to help you increase loyalty and profitability.
Tailored solutions meet the most critical needs of your industry and your customers and maximize your investment in SAP.
Drive exceptional customer experiences and business outcomes by connecting back-end data and front-end experiences to engage the right customers, at the right moment, wherever they are.
Anticipate, support, and optimize customer interactions while improving operational efficiency with data-driven insights and analytics powered by AI.
Transform at the speed of customer expectations with a hybrid composability approach. Our feature-rich core provides enterprise-grade capabilities, and a vast ecosystem of partner solutions allows you to rapidly deploy customized experiences.
This blog highlights the top features and enhancements released in the last 3 months for SAP Commerce Cloud to help you increase loyalty and profitability. Please view the webcast replay to learn more about our latest innovations.
Drive Sustainability and Circular Revenue Streams with SAP Recommerce
Enable circularity as a business driver with SAP Recommerce. With SAP Recommerce, businesses can take control and create a new circular revenue stream by reselling used and recycled products, within an integrated SAP Commerce Cloud solution.
SAP Recommerce is a technology platform that helps businesses manage the process of reselling products online. It allows businesses to take back items in-store, manage reconditioning, and resell them. The platform can be used to orchestrate business processes at scale, which can help to increase customer and product lifetime value. Existing customers develop stronger brand allegiance, and the business can engage with a new customer segment who aspires to be a part of your brand’s mission to promote re-use and eliminate waste.
Transform Faster with Industry-Specific Capabilities
Leverage SAP’s vast industry knowledge to get to market quickly, and gain greater agility with our composable, de-coupled storefront. For Q2 2023, we have improved the customer experience for the Telco and Utilities Accelerator (TUA) with customer views of price discounts and billing details. The TUA Composable Storefront update is compatible with the latest release of the SAP Commerce Cloud Composable Storefront.
- Online customers can view global price discounts for any price at any level on the product listing page, product details page and through the checkout process.
- Authenticated online customers can view a listing of their current bills and bill details within self-care.
Gain More Speed and Agility with Composable Storefront Capabilities
In Q1 2023, we announced B2B enhancements to SAP Commerce Cloud and the Composable Storefront for B2B customers. These enhancements included the ability to restrict ordering rights and payment options based on the buyer role, as well as making it easier to reorder inventory.
For Q2 2023, we have added omnichannel capabilities and navigational improvements to SAP Commerce Cloud, Composable Storefront, as well as support for Angular 15.
We are also shipping Composable Storefront updates more frequently now, enabling you to always benefit from our latest innovations and capabilities.
- Composable Storefront merchants can now offer customers the option to order items online and pick up in store (BOPIS). If the feature is configured with SAP Commerce Cloud version 2211, customers can also view store-specific pickup instructions and save a preferred store for future purchases.
- The delivery and review tabs in the checkout have been updated to make sections more modular, as well as to accommodate differences needed for Buy Online, Pick Up in Store. For example, information pertaining to the entire order remains at the top of the review tab, whereas information related to delivery is moved to a subsection of the tab.
- For configurable products, you now have an improved view when navigating the overview page. It is now easier and more efficient to add new custom attribute types or replace existing types for configurable products.
- The update to Angular 15 provides a better and faster developer experience and performance improvements including better code reuse through directive composition, simpler routing, improved debugging, and faster build times.
- Also, new integration with SAP Customer Data Cloud for login, profile, and password updates in the Composable Storefront interface. The integration is enabled by default when SAP Customer Data Cloud is installed.
Optimize Order Sourcing and Fulfillment with a Composable Solution
In the Q1 release blog, we introduced SAP Order Management, a cloud-native, modern microservices-based architecture, that is composable and highly scalable. It helps businesses unify commerce everywhere and orchestrate across buying and fulfillment channels to deliver more seamless end-to-end experiences. We have enhanced the solutions in our composable order management portfolio, including Order Management Foundation (OMF) and Order Management Sourcing and Availability (OMSA), for intelligent outcome-based sourcing with central, omni-channel inventory visibility, greater control of split shipments, and picking and packing rules.
Order Management Foundation (OMF):
- Enable better customer experiences, with access to more products in more sales channels. Greater control of where fulfillment requests go. Fulfillment requests can be created and dispatched to fulfillment systems based on order-sourcing results. This allows orders to be split and sent to different back-ends using pre-determined, optimized, sourcing results.
- Make more efficient use of your inventory, including in-store and third-party locations. Fulfillment requests can be dispatched or distributed to a variety of fulfillment systems, including ERP, warehouse management, subscription management, store sales and inventory apps, as well as drop-shippers and marketplaces.
- Save on the cost of returns by allowing order change and cancellation before shipping. You can also allow order cancellation and order changes during a remorse period. And you can define flexible workflows responding to key order events, visualizing the overall process for workflows, modifying the process with new steps and actions for each step, defining required actions the system should take based on internal and external events, and managing business rules for each step and event.
Order Management Sourcing and Availability (OMSA):
- Avoid losing a sale as a result of customers not being able to complete the order, even if the products are only partially available. When a sourcing request comes for an order including either non available products or products in quantities over what is available, the system will perform the sourcing only of what is available instead of returning a “no sourcing available” response.
- Optimize promotions for target audiences by having greater control of where products are sourced. You can also expose the appropriate product availability to sell, based on a specific sourcing strategy and limit product availability to sell to only the sites included in the strategy.
- Improve profitability margins by reducing fulfilment costs. You can define cost goals for picking and packing and provide the ability to source from the site with the lowest cost to pick and pack per item, per product, and/or per shipment.
Update with Ease Through Our New Phased Feature Rollouts
In Q4 2022, we announced Continuous Innovation and a monthly update cycle to provide greater flexibility for our customers.
As part of Continuous Innovation release model, customers get frequent and regular update releases providing new features, security updates and bug fixes. To allow customers to upgrade to update releases with ease, new capabilities that are evaluated as potentially introducing system changes, will be rolled out in phases (deactivated phase, activated phase, out of the box phase). The phased feature rollout started with the Q1 2023 Release (2211.4). For the first six months, “deactivated phase”, some of the new capabilities will be disabled by default and can be enabled via feature toggle switches. In the next six months, “activated phase” the features will be enabled by default but can still be configured to be switched off before taking in the update. Finally, in the last phase, “out of the box phase” certain features are delivered as standard capabilities out-of-the-box.
SAP Commerce Cloud administrators now have up to 12 months to test their code for compatibility with the new introduced capabilities and take advantage of these new features. We also provide previews of upcoming update releases with new features, giving administrators two additional months (on top of the 12 months mentioned before) to uptake some of the new capabilities.
Additionally, SAP Commerce Cloud administrators can leverage Blue/Green deployments (announced in Q1 2023) to test a new build alongside their current live build directly in production as a last mile test, before opening it to their live users. This deployment safeguarding feature provides a 2-hour test window after which a rollback is initiated without repercussions if the new build isn’t accepted.
For full details on Feature Rollout Phases, please visit our product documentation.
Composability and a Vast Partner Ecosystem Empower You to Build to Your Unique Requirements and Move Fast
We are excited to announce new partnerships! Recent additions to the SAP Store in Q2 bring innovation and cutting-edge solutions to our ecosystem, enhancing your digital experiences.
- Vercel’s leading Frontend Cloud gives devs the workflows and infrastructure to build faster with the SAP Composable Storefront. With zero-configuration, you can host, deploy at the edge, and iterate on all your SAP Composable Storefronts, in an environment that maximizes developer experience and site performance—all while creating peak web experiences for your users.
- Logicbroker aims to fuel growth for retailers and brands. Their drop ship and marketplace fulfillment platform, integrated with SAP Commerce Cloud, makes it easier than ever to use drop shipping to create an endless aisle, quickly add new vendors and expand your product catalog, or launch a curated marketplace.
If you’ve been looking to incorporate engaging videos into your online strategy to help shoppers discover and purchase products, we’ve got you covered.
- LIVEBUY allows you to become your own producer and transform your shop into an entertainment hub. Create bite-sized videos for your product by collaborating with influencers and creators to produce authentic, shoppable video content for your products, increasing awareness, boosting sales, and reducing returns.
- Smartzer offers a platform for your brand to produce video-based product discovery or digital consultation content. Host live shopping events which combine a live stream video feed and the ability for your viewers to explore, comment, and like. Videos can also offer an interactive format where actions such as entering for a draw or signing up to a loyalty membership can be defined. This is an excellent way to gather performance data and actionable insights from your audience.
- Replika is designed to help brands achieve greater e-commerce success by leveraging the power of their network of sellers/influencers to inspire online sales and providing a curated shopping experience for customers. Sellers, which can be domain experts like physicians, hair stylists or simply fans, can create their own inspiration boards, engage with customers, drive sales, and earn commissions.
Provide Transparency with Real-time Order Updates From S/4HANA
With SAP Commerce Cloud integration with S/4HANA for requested delivery dates, users unlock supply chain data for a better buyer experience. This removes purchasing inefficiencies related to inaccurate supply chain data, provides more flexibility by ensuring that orders fit into a buyers’ planned schedules, and provides more detailed and accurate information about their orders.
- Buyers can now request a delivery date during checkout and see an overview of scheduled delivery dates in order confirmation and order details pages.
Provide Exceptional Customer Service with Headless Assisted Service
We’ve enhanced the Assisted Service Module APIs for greater transparency and visibility to further empower customer service agents to provide great service to customers.
- Enrich customer databases by empowering service agents and sales representatives to create new accounts on behalf of customers. Users can send a registration e-mail to customers for password generation to finalize account creation process.
- Increase flexibility and agility through headless service capabilities and decrease the cost of service tickets through increased efficiency. Customer List View and Customer 360 View provides key customer data to customer service agents in a headless fashion, incl. customer overviews, profiles, favourites, activity history, feedback / support tickets, promotions, interests, most recent orders, carts, saved carts, product reviews and more.
- Save time and know where agents are assigned. Agent Location provides information on the storefront based on the stores the agents are assigned. Know which store is relevant by checking current in-store customers and pick-up in-store customers.
Improve the User Experience Through Backoffice Deep Linking
Improve the user experience and productivity through quick access of Backoffice by navigating to a perspective, navigating to a page in the explorer tree, or opening a specific item (for example, a specific Product).
Increase Operational Efficiency with Self-Service Header Configuration
Increase operational efficiency with self-service capabilities to add, modify, and remove HTTP response headers. Enhance security between a client browser and your instance of SAP Commerce Cloud by securing response headers, and improve connectivity with content delivery network (CDN) providers.
Make Business User Information Available in all Systems with Central Identity Provisioning
Use a pre-configured Use SAP Identity Provisioning Service (SAP IPS) integration to manage user lifecycle management centrally, and make SAP business user information available in all systems across the intelligent enterprise landscape.
For more details on the above release features, check out the following resources:
- Q2 2023 SAP Commerce Cloud Release Readiness Kit
- Staying current with Commerce Cloud and Composable Storefront
- Performance Optimization Best Practices
SAP Help Portal
- SAP Report: Achieving Agility in Digital Commerce: Guidance to Help Organizational Leaders Future-Proof Digital Experiences with an Agile Commerce Approach
Please share your feedback in a comment and follow our SAP Commerce Cloud topic page to connect with the community!