Transports setup between environments and usage for SAP S/4HANA Cloud, private edition customers
Working with our growing number of customers running their business processes in SAP S/4HANA Cloud, private edition, I’ve noticed that it might not be fully clear to all customers how changes are transported from development over QA to production.
Is the Change and Transport System in SAP S/4HANA Cloud, private edition different than in on-premise?
In short, the answer is: No.
However, there are a few things to be considered for SAP S/4HANA Cloud, private edition customers regarding roles and responsibilities as well as for setting up CTS/TMS. The main point of concern is that such customers do not have OS level access. This in turn means that the DIR_TRANS share between environments must be requested from the SAP Enterprise Cloud Services (ECS) team.
Setup in greenfield projects (aka SAP S/4HANA new implementations)
- Big bang approach: When all applicable tiers are delivered at the same time (e.g., 2 tier (DEV-PROD) or 3-tier (DEV-QAS-PROD)), SAP ECS will complete the TMS setup and system handover happens with standard transport routes configuration.
- Phased: When all applicable tiers are not delivered at the same time customers must request the DIR_TRANS to be shared between tiers as each tier is originally delivered with the local TMS single system configuration. Afterwards, the customer or implementation partner can complete the transport routes or it could also be requested from the SAP Cloud Application Services (CAS) team for an additional charge.
Setup in brownfield projects (aka SAP S/4HANA migrations or system conversions)
- As the brownfield scenario involves a conversion from on-premise to the Cloud, every system is delivered with the local TMS configuration as part of the regular provisioning. TMS setup mainly consists of:
- OS level: Share and mount the DIR_TRANS directory between the different tiers. Service Request to SAP ECS must be created to get this task done.
- Client 000: The customer or the implementation partner needs to maintain the TMS and transport routes accordingly.
In summary, the following Roles & Responsibilities Matrix regarding Transport Management tasks should be used as guidance to plan and set up the required TMS configuration. Plan and estimate accordingly:
As last-minute important info, Cloud customers could have additional requirements when setting up their CTS/TMS systems, for example:
- Git-Enabled CTS
- HTA for HDI
- HTA (Here’s also a great blog about HTA)
- Central CTS (Requires Solution Manager 7.2)
These services aren’t typically included in the SAP ECS or CAS services and should normally be provided by the implementation partner or the customer themselves. Assistance from SAP ECS or CAS can be requested for activities outside the customer’s responsibilities.
For additional information on these requirements, you can also refer to this link. Wishing you smooth operations and transports between your environments!
Brought to you by the SAP S/4HANA Customer Care and RIG team