Custom Code Remediation
Since, it was introduced twenty years ago, SAP ECC (Enterprise Central Component) has been a widely used Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) tool. But as digitalization, cloud computing, and the demand for real-time data processing have increased, SAP ECC has become antiquated and unable to satisfy the needs of modern business. New and enhanced functionality to run the business processes simpler, faster and smarter, will only be available on S/4 HANA.
As part of this journey, learnings from one of the S/4 HANA brownfield implementation projects for one of the manufacturing customers has been discussed in this white paper.
The target audience for this white-paper are Consultants, Senior-Consultants, Principal Consultants, Project Managers, Delivery Managers and SMEs.
As an ABAP developer working on a HANA Migration Project, I must perform the “Code Remediation” activity and modify certain ABAP code to prevent any potential functional difficulties during the HANA migration.
For doing Code Remediation, you will run ABAP Test Cockpit (ATC) on your SAP S/4HANA system using the various ATC check variants which SAP provides, and you will receive a lengthy list of ATC findings that you must need to resolve.
There are multiple ATC check variants which SAP provides as when you plan to move S/4 HANA –
- S4HANA_READINESS_NO_FLE (As of S4HANA 2021, SAP has come up with this check variant only for customers who don’t want to chang0065 the extended material number length.)
Note: We perform code remediation only on custom objects. For standard objects SAP will take care.
How to get the ATC Findings in Eclipse ADT:
- Open the Program in Eclipse and click on Run As button (yellow highlighted) in Eclipse.
- Select the option ABAP Test Cockpit with from the given options.
- Enter the S4HANA_READINESS_2021_NO_FLE Check Variant suggested by SAP.
- Click on OK button and you will receive the list of ATC Findings.
Note: I’m showing you here through Eclipse ADT but you can also get these ATC findings via SAP GUI.
Procedure of resolving ATC Findings:
We can resolve the ATC finding in three ways:
- By implementing Semi-Automatic Adjustments: Perform Quick Fixes or Recommended Quick Fixes on one object at a time.
- Issues belong to priority 1 and 2 must be fixed.
- When you click on Recommended Quick Fixes, you will get this pop-up.
- It will ask for Transport Request (TR).
- Once you will enter the TR, we will be able to see the recommended quick fix for the required ATC Finding.
- By implementing ATC Mass Fixes: This functionality can only be used in Eclipse not in GUI.
- Read suggested notes against ATC Findings: You have to read the whole SAP Note (highlighted) on SAP SUPPORT PORTAL. Based on which the developer decides whether to implement the suggested change or not.
As you begin to plan the conversion of your ECC system to the S/4 HANA system, you begin to realize that a very large number of ABAP objects will have to be adapted to run on the S/4 HANA database. You need to follow all the above steps’ screenshots to perform the remediation using Eclipse ADT. Eclipse ADT will help you the most to resolve the ATC findings swiftly.
We can resolve Reports, Function Groups using eclipse other than these like enhancements, tables, views we can resolve it using SAP GUI.
For Smart forms, we didn’t get any specific criteria yet to remediate it.