Building a sustainable world: Partners showcase solutions in the Hack2Build focusing on SAP sustainability in Americas
We were immensely impressed by the use cases presented in our latest Hack2Build, that happened virtually for all Americas (North America & LAC – Latin America and the Caribbean regions) from April 24th to 28th, 2023. It’s inspiring to see the potential of SAP Partners to build Sustainability use cases for our customers leveraging SAP Business Technology Platform (SAP BTP).
Hack2Build is a rapid prototyping initiative to drive early-stage inspiration, use case exploration and technology adoption for SAP partners. In these events, partners validate their ideas, get coaching and support to build the prototype, and get hands-on experience with SAP technologies. After the hackathon, they also explore how to package the solution and get ready for go-to-market.
Within just a working week, the participants brought inspiration, hard work, curiosity, and delivered compelling solutions.
The Participating Companies
We were glad to welcome in this edition of the Hack2Build sixteen (!) SAP partner companies. They were: BOSCH (BGSW), Capgemini, CraveInfotech, Deloitte, Ernst & Young (EY), Incture, Infosys, LKM Tecnologia, MOURI Tech, nBC Services, SAVIC Tech, System Design Analysis (SDA), Sierra Digital, Tata Consultancy Services (TCS), Wipro and Yash Technologies.
Powered by SAP Business Technology Platform, the participants brought creativity and innovation to tackle the Sustainability challenge and brought use cases in the three sustainability pillars: Environmental, Economical and Social.
To kick-off the event, the first day brought keynotes from SAP Sustainability Executives. The participants were properly welcomed and presented on how to deliver sustainable innovation into industries, how to leverage SAP BTP for sustainability, how sustainability impacts the Digital Supply Chain, and more.
Four days away from the Demo Jam, the participants worked day and night to materialize their ideas into SAP BTP, all with technical support from the SAP experts and sustainability teams.
By Friday, partners were ready to showcase the prototypes at the Demo Jam in front of the panel of judges, which had long discussions on evaluating which of the amazing solutions would receive the winner prize. Guided by key criteria, they eventually settled on the winners.
There were two Demo Jams in this edition of the Hack2Build Americas to properly cover so many participants and use cases. At the Demo Jams, the partners showcase their sustainable innovative solutions to the audience and judges. With only 10 minutes, they were effective in presenting the Business Case and functioning Prototype, and later answer questions from the judges.
Demo Jam 1 and Panel of Judges
The first Panel of Judges came from a diverse perspective and consisted of four SAP Leaders:
The judges were impressed by the wide range of opportunities the Sustainability topic offers for customers to improve the environment, economy, and people. Each presentation had its shine and the execution of the partner prototypes was superb.
Winner: Crave Infotech
Crave Infotech created Intelligent Ecological Balance Reporting and Analysis. The solution provides the company with a comprehensive and integrated solution for sustainability reporting and analysis, helping the company to achieve its sustainability goals and communicate its performance to stakeholders. It aims businesses that want to reduce their carbon footprint and achieve sustainability goals. It also uses SAP Analytics Cloud to monitor and analyze its sustainability performance across different areas of the business. KPIs: Carbon Footprint Tracking, Resource Consumption Analysis, Environmental Impact Assessment, Stakeholder Engagement, Scenario Planning.
Voice from Crave Infotech
First Runner-up: MOURI Tech
MOURI Tech showcased Maintain2Sustain, a solution to optimize resource (energy, water, etc.) consumption in manufacturing process using predictive analytics, machine learning, IoT devices with SAP BTP to achieve sustainability. It monitors resource consumption in manufacturing process using IoT devices like electricity meter/water meter. Based on resource consumption, planned/unplanned maintenance activities plan for equipment maintenance, it uses a Machine Learning model to predict equipment maintenance based on historical data. It also uses SAP Analytics Cloud for reporting.
Second Runner-up: TCS
TCS displayed NetImpact Cloud for Sustainable Financing, which targets a financial services ESG KPI Calculation and Tracking. This solution provides financial institutions and SMEs, the flexibility to capture, measure and monitor ESG performances. These metrics can have customized performance templates for carbon emission tracking based on GHG protocol. It also allows Tracking and Monitoring of Sustainability Performance of multiple operations rolling up to the highest level (Sector, Sub-Sector, Country, Region, Peers). Finally, it has an analytical engine to score and identify sustainable investments.
Voice from TCS
Demo Jam 2 and Panel of Judges
The second Panel of Judges came from a diverse perspective and consisted of four SAP Leaders versed in Sustainability:
The comment from the judges is that Sustainability is clearly a hot topic, full of opportunities, and the solutions that manage to monetize while still improving the environment, economy and people are the winners. In this sense, the participants gave a hard time for the judges to elect the winners.
EY created Total Net Water Impact KPI and Platform, a comprehensive benchmark that brings together three primary sustainability principles of water efficiency, water circularity and water balance to assess the impact of a company’s business operations on the local watershed. It is targeted to Consumer Products, Food & Beverage and enterprises that rely on fresh water as a raw material to their Finished Goods.
First Runner-up: nBC Services
nBC Services showcased nBCare, a solution built on SAP BTP to manage all Personal Protection Elements and Employee Equipment. The principle of the application is the care of the employees, providing them with the correct personal protection elements and employee equipment promoting health and well-being, supported by a caring and balanced culture. On parallel, it optimizes the use of resources, reduce waste, and increase operational efficiency.
voice from nBC
Second Runner-up: SDA
SDA displayed Donate2Collect, an application which enables to share by donation and collection, assist the people in need with the available resources, and list the demand and supply. Especially useful during scarcity of resources or Supply Chain issues, such as Natural disasters like pandemic, flood etc.
The voice from SDA
Beyond a Hackathon
As the intent of Hack2Build event is to help our partners to build their solution, the move to the next BUILD phase is critical for the partners to drive successful outcome with their innovations. Most of the partners are continuing with their development and aim to bring their solutions to customers as soon as possible.
We would like to thank all finalist teams, in no order, and the use cases they prototyped with the SAP BTP for Sustainability during this Hack2Build:
- BOSCH: Green Logistics: CO2 Emission Tracker – Displays the current CO2 emission based on various criteria, and simulate emission based on any change in the resources of the logistics industry.
- Capgemini India: Coat For A Better Future – reduce the environmental impact of the paint manufacturing process.
- Capgemini USA: Zero Waste Plant Operations – A centralized Hub to monitor KPIs throughout the entire value chain from a sustainability perspective and provide business stakeholders with tools to act and achieve their Sustainability objectives.
- Deloitte India: Maxime Product Green Impact – Data collection processes around specific products, R&D budgets dedicated to products, system for tracking or tagging products as FTSE Green Revenue and product lifecycle analysis.
- Deloitte USA: Greening Professional Services – tracks and reports on Scope 1, 2 and 3 GHG emissions to help the customer to stay compliant, reduce cost by eliminating inefficiency and manage risk from related issues on climate change.
- Incture: Net Zero Factory – helps to determine the net zero goals based on emission, waste, energy usage, product footprint carbon equivalent of a manufacturing factory and track net zero achievement.
- Infosys: Ethical Supplier Network – Identification of suppliers who are compliant and aligned with respective company’s roadmap from ESG parameters perspective.
- LKM Tecnologia: MeSustainably – a complementary solution to SAP DRC to identify business value with sustainability in the supply chain.
- SAVIC Tech: Plant 360 – a solution that leverages data and analytics to optimize manufacturing operations and reduce waste for greater sustainability.
- Sierra Digital: OhZone Carbon Footprint Calculator – calculate the carbon footprint based on raw materials, manufacturing process, finished goods and transportation details.
- Wipro: ESG Rating & Analytics Solution – a cloud-based application offered as a service that helps organization to make profitability in an environment sustainability model.
- Yash Technologies: EmTRACK – Environmental Sustainability Accelerator – Complements EM solution from SAP (scope 1 & 2), by covering scope 3 parameters with automation, reports, and dashboards.
To award the excellent work results presented, all the participant partner teams received digital badges by cred.ly from SAP.
We also would like to thank all the SAP teams and colleagues for their passionate and tireless commitment and the tremendous support they offered, which made this event possible! Kudos and special thanks to:
- Adam Almonte, Christian Butzlaff, Frank Ruland, Hernan Diaz, Holger Brammer, John W. Martin, Luciano Ravenna, Steve Day and Rudi Held for the executive support and for acting as judges and contributing with live feedback to the partners.
- Alice Magnani, Cesare Calabria, Edward Neveux, and Krisztian Papai for the use case review and technical support.
- All colleagues from the SAP product development teams.
- Michael Censurato, Michelle Huang, Vidya Gugnani for the support in the event and presentations.
- Special thanks for the Winner’s Experience Testimonial from Nathan Williams of SAP Partner NIMBL.
- A heart warm thanks for the Partner Ecosystem Success team for all the help in the background.
- All colleagues from SAP Co-Innovation Lab for the continuous support.
Thank you for your excellent support during all phases of the event. We couldn’t have it done without your leadership, domain expertise, and dedication to the success of SAP and our Ecosystem.
SAP Hack2Build Americas Team
Authors: Jiayi Wang, Lucas Rigo, Ronildo Santos
On behalf of the SDA team, a huge THANK YOU to the organizers and the judges panel! This recognition means the world to us! We look forward to participate in more great events like this in the future. We will pursue on our journey to provide innovative solutions by leveraging SAP BTP and accelerating the benefits for our customers!
Thanks for sharing information