MDG DQM: Empowering Your Business with High-Quality Data in S/4HANA
As organizations embark on the journey of digital transformation and re-discovering their business processes,at the heart of this transformation is the master data. Most of the organizations miss to capture valuable insights in their businesses due to lack of master data quality, starting from supplier records, customer records, product data etc.
SAP already has a robust solution in the MDM space which is SAP MDG, and from S/4 HANA 1909 SAP came up with a solution of data quality management which can be integrated along with the governance of the master data. This solution will provide insights about the current data quality in the system and will help organizations cleanse their master data.
In this blog post we will look at how to create data quality quality rule for product master and run data evaluations based on this rules and see how the data quality dashboards looks like in FIORI.
1.At the outset we need to provide access to the role SAP_BR_PRODMASTER_STEWARD, activate the Odata services and SICF nodes to start working with the below tiles in FIORI.
2. Click on validation rules( products ) and create a new rule. You will have to provide the rule ID, a rule name, base table on which the rule will be applied.
3.Once the rule is created it’s status will be “NEW” and you can add usage for this rule. The usage of the rule implies whether the rule can be used in change request request processing, consolidation& mass processing and data quality evaluation. In this blog we will only look at data quality evaluation.
4.Once the usage is added we will prepare “USAGE ACTION”, this will create BRF+ expressions where we can write our rules
5. There will be 2 expressions created, one is the scope expression and another will be the condition expression. The scope expression will help in selection of data for which the condition has to applied.
6. Once expressions are created then you can send the rule for implementation which will change the status to “TO BE IMPLEMENTED”.
7. Click on the scope expression and it will navigate you to the BRF+ application. Here you can add the field which will determine the records of base table which has to be selected. In this case i considered the weight unit in MARA to be KG or G. Then click on activate to activate the expression.
8. Click on condition expression and follow the same steps as pt6. My condition is net and gross weight should not be equal to 0.
9. Approve the rule, and then enable the usage for Data quality evaluation.
11. We need to create data quality scores, which can be done from the “Configure data quality scores” app. Create a global category and provide the values for target, warning and critical.
12. Add rule ID, which is the rule we created above and provide a dimension(“free text”). Set the target, critical, warning values for this rule along with it’s weight and impact.
13. Now run the data quality evaluation and see how many records satisfy the rule and how many don’t.
14. The data quality score is 10.9 which calculated as ( OK records/( OK + NOT OK records ) ).
In this blog, we see the step by step process of creating a basic validation rule for products and how it can be used for data quality evaluation.
In future blog posts, i hope to share how to use the rules in the change request processing, mass processing and consolidation. With each release of S/4 HANA the SAP MDG DQM feature is evolving with the goal to become the single rule repository for all kinds of processes in MDM.
Hope you like this blog.
Do share your comments.