MDG consolidation: Creating product data using FIORI
Previously I had shared the steps on how to configure the mass processing of business partners, and business partners relationships, the links to the blogs can be found below.
In this blog post, I will share the steps on how to create a material record using the Consolidation feature in MDG using file upload.
The Mass processing feature in MDG restricts the creation of root objects, like business partners, and material. However, the consolidation feature in MDG can be used to create new materials. Consolidation also has features like standardization, matching, best record calculation, filter and remove.
Traditional MDG file upload allows the creation of materials, however, the traditional NWBC applications are slower and users might experience timeout issues while creating bulk records during migration activities.
In this blog post, we will only go through the steps to create a material record without standardization, matching, etc. steps.
1. The first step is to import the predefined business configuration sets (BC sets).
2. The BC set activation will bring in the standard process template along with the process steps. The standard process template has only 2 steps
3. Fiori applications have to be activated which are given below
- Import data for consolidation: This application uploads the data into the system required for consolidation process.
- Manage consolidation process: This application will allow you to track all the existing consolidation process along with the creation of new processes.
4. Open the import data for consolidation app and download the file template. For purpose of this blog i have created a upload file with only material data basic data ( MARA) and material description( MAKT ).
5. Upload the file which is created,the system automatically analyzes the files for structural correctness. eg: If MATNR field is missing the file analyzer will give error. The source system will be the business system defined in the system. For the data package provide some meaningful text
6. Post data is imported, we can start with consolidation process. We will use the process template which was created in pt1. Provide some meaningful description for the process.
7. The created process will have only 2 steps which was mentioned in pt2. The validation step can be configured in MDCIMG. The standard validation adapter only checks the uploaded data against the back-end customizing. However you can create a Z configuration to check the uploaded data against your custom validation rules.
8. Start the process, to check if there are any validation errors. Luckily in my case there was no error hence the process directly activates the material data.
9.Go to MM03 to check if the data is activated available.
MDG consolidation provides an alternative approach to create, update bulk data records for business partners, materials using FIORI applications. It allows provides some advanced functions like standardization, de-duplication& merging, best record calculation while creating or updating the data.
This blog post only covers the basic functionality of consolidation. In future blog posts i would talk about advanced features like Matching, best record calculation etc, so please keep an eye on this space.
Hope you like the blog,and looking forward to your comments.