SAP Digital Manufacturing and EWM Integration using Manage Staging 2.0 app
SAP Digital Manufacturing and EWM (Extended Warehouse Management) MES-Driven Staging capabilities offer a solution to streamline the material staging process using the Manage Staging 2.0 app in SAP DM, which can support different concepts like Supply to Cell and Modular Production.
In this blog post, we will look into these concepts, SAP Digital Manufacturing and EWM material staging capabilities, prerequisites, and some instructions on how to run Manage Staging 2.0 app.
EWM MES-Driven Staging
If you’ve integrated your SAP S/4HANA system with a manufacturing execution system (MES), you can use MES-driven staging to create detailed plans for fulfilling staging requirements for a manufacturing order. The plans are represented by a document from the MES, the staging request, which is mapped to a warehouse request of the internal stock transfer type in Extended Warehouse Management (EWM).
EWM uses a staging report to check the capacity of the bin at the production supply area (PSA) and to create reasonable numbers of staging warehouse tasks. These staging warehouse tasks can be organized, for example, by applying process-oriented storage control (POSC) or waves.
The staging process is transparent from beginning to end. It’s possible to see the status of the staging process in both EWM and the MES. For example, you can see whether a staging request is being planned or has already been executed, or what quantity of a component is requested, in-transit, or staged.
Source: MES-Driven Staging
Manage Staging 2.0
Manage Staging 2.0 app is designed to manage material staging between SAP Digital Manufacturing and EWM using single-order staging and cross-order staging methods.
Single-order staging allows you to request components that are reserved exclusively for particular orders and operations, meaning the staged stock can only be utilized by the specified orders. On the other hand, cross-order staging is used to request components that can be applied to multiple orders. In this case, the staged stock is not reserved for any specific order, making it available for consumption by any relevant orders.
This app provides various features, such as viewing and requesting components, tracking their availability at production supply area (PSA) and order levels, and monitoring staging requests and their statuses.
To use the Manage Staging 2.0 app, ensure that:
- You have the role of Manufacturing_Admin, Production_Supervisor, Production_Operator, or Production_Engineer.
- You have set up the integration configuration with EWM 2021 version. For more information, see Connecting to EWM in SAP S/4HANA 2021.
- For additional information on the configuration process, see also 3137363.
Manage Staging 2.0 app supports various concepts like Supply to Cell and Production and Modular Production.
Supply to Cell
Supply to cell is a lean manufacturing principle that emphasizes delivering materials directly to the production cell where they are needed.
By facilitating efficient material staging, the Manage Staging 2.0 app enables organizations to optimize the supply to cell process. This app allows users to monitor component availability at PSA levels, ensuring that materials are readily available for production cells, reducing wait times, and minimizing inventory costs.
Modular production is a manufacturing approach shifts away from line production to a more flexible, cellular approach involves reorganizing traditional manufacturing processes to better accommodate disruptions, enable efficient scaling, and meet varying customer demands. Instead of a linear, sequential process where products move through a series of fixed steps, the cellular approach organizes production into smaller, self-contained units or cells, each responsible for a specific set of tasks.
This structure allows manufacturers to easily adapt to changes in demand, quickly scale production up or down, and swiftly respond to unforeseen disruptions without significantly impacting the overall manufacturing process.
The Manage Staging 2.0 app is well-suited for supporting modular production, as it enables users to request both single-order and cross-order components.
Other Material Staging Concepts
The Manage Staging 2.0 app is also beneficial for other material staging concepts, such as mixed-model assembly lines and mass customization. In mixed-model assembly lines, multiple product variants are produced on the same line, necessitating efficient material staging to accommodate diverse component requirements. The app’s robust capabilities for requesting and tracking components help facilitate smooth operations in such complex production environments.
In mass customization, manufacturers produce goods tailored to individual customer preferences while maintaining the efficiency of mass production. Efficient material staging is critical in this context, as it ensures the availability of the required components for customization. The Manage Staging 2.0’s app ability to request components based on specific orders and operations supports this need, enabling manufacturers to deliver personalized products in a timely and cost-effective manner.
- EWM Integration is setup.
- EWM for MES-Driven Staging is setup.
- ERP orders have been transferred to the system.
- In EWM, you have executed WM material staging and the PMR (Production Material Request) is created.
- Staging methods assigned to the BOM components for the order have been successfully downloaded to the system. This means the Staging Method Download messages have Completed status in the Integration Message Dashboard app.
- If you want to stage cross-order components, make sure that they are configured with the same storage location in EWM as they do in SAP Digital Manufacturing.
To stage materials for production in the shop floor using the Manage Staging 2.0 app, follow these steps:
- In the initial screen, enter the filtering conditions to view components, such as the production supply area and operation date range, and choose ‘Go’.
- View components configured with cross-order staging method in the Cross-Order Components tab and components configured with single-order staging method in the Single-Order Components tab.
- Adjust the quantity and UOM of the component in the Quantity to Request column based on your needs.
- Click ‘Add’ to add individual components to the staging request cart one by one, or ‘Add Order’ to add the full order to your staging request cart.
- Click on ‘Staging Request’ at the top right corner to double-check the request information and make necessary adjustments.
- Choose ‘Request Components’ to send a staging request to EWM.
- Staging Request is sent to EWM, click ‘Show Status’
- Monitor all Staging Requests and their statuses
Staging Request Progress
To verify the status and check if a specific staging request is successfully fulfilled, choose ‘Staging Request Status’ in the initial screen.
The app displays various statuses, such as Not Staged, Partially Staged, Staged, In Process, and Failed. You can retry failed staging requests in the Integration Message Dashboard app.
The SAP Digital Manufacturing and EWM integration, along with the Manage Staging 2.0 app, provides an efficient way to manage material staging in your manufacturing processes.
By leveraging this app, you can streamline your material staging, reduce production delays, and improve overall efficiency.
Do you like this post? Please let me know in the comments section what you think. Any feedback is highly appreciated.
Or, if you have any questions, please check SAP Community Q&A Area, or comment down below.