SAP S/4HANA aATP Supply creation-Based Confirmation (SBC) Series Part 2 – Setup Guide
In this series I am talking about S/4HANA aATP Supply creation-Based Confirmation (SBC). We are now at part 2, to discuss how to setup SBC:
- Part 1 – SBC Functional Overview
- (current one) Part 2 – SBC Setup Guide
- Part 3 – SBC Simple Use Case
- Part 4 – SBC Complex Use Case
How to setup SBC
As we will discuss later simple and complex scenarios as well, I will guide you through the SBC setup taking into account both the use cases:
- Simple PAC with Supply Creation, Make-To-Order – as an introduction to SBC
- Complex PPAC with Supply Creation, Make-To-Stock with characteristics – for deep dive into SBC
But first, we need to do some setup steps, to have both our examples ready for an ATP check with SBC:
- Setup ATP customizing
- Setup PP/DS customizing
- Create Master Data for the examples
Let’s start with the interesting part, shall we?
Setup ATP customizing
Step 1. You need to have a checking group available in ATP customizing. The checking group is used to group materials that are to be ATP checked according to the same criteria. This you can create In Customizing under
Cross-Application Components >
I created 2 of them, “DS” for PPAC with Supply Creation and “PS” for PAC with Supply Creation, for both advanced ATP is active as the SBC functionality is part of advanced ATP:
Step 2. Activate supply creation for your checking groups:
Cross-Application Components > Advanced Available-to-Promise (aATP) > Configuration Activities for Enhanced Check Methods > Configure Enhanced Check Methods by Document Purpose
Step 3. Select the correct availability check type (PAC or PPAC) for your checking groups:
Cross-Application Components > Advanced Available-to-Promise (aATP) > Supply Demand-Based Capability Check (SCC) > Supply Demand-Based Capability Check Settings
That’s it, you are done with the ATP settings.
More details regarding ATP setup you can find here.
Setup PP/DS customizing
The PP/DS setup is delivered by SAP, if your system is new or you did not touch delivered settings, there should be nothing to do. Nevertheless, I summarize here the main important points.
You can cross-check that the heuristic in PP/DS “SAP_PP_SBC” is available, under:
and the strategy profile “SAP_SBC” is selected for the Supply Creation-Based Confirmation (SBC) field in the global parameters under:
and the Planning Procedure “3 – Cover Dependent Requirements Immediately” exists, you can check under:
More details regarding PP/DS setup you can find here.
Create Master data
Since PP/DS is part of S/4, there is no need to create master data twice. All of this setup is done in S/4HANA, typically there is no need to change anything in S/4HANA PP/DS, because all of the changes done are automatically transferred (internally) to PP/DS or I will tell you when to trigger the transfer manually.
Organization and Business Partners
In general you need an Org setup with a Plant, Storage Location, Sales Org and Business Partners (customers), which I assume is available in the system.
Characteristics (optional – only for complex example)
In case Characteristic-Dependent Planning is used, I put this to the first place, so that you can avoid a mistake during master data creation:
The advanced planning flag in the material master should not be set before your master data setup is finished. You first have to create the classification master data (classes type 023 and characteristics) and add it to the material master under classification and MRP3 configuration. These have to be transferred to PP/DS. Only afterwards the Advanced Planning flag can be set. That is why the correct order is:
- Create characteristics you would like to use in transaction CT04
- Create classes for the characteristics (type 23 – Batch).
- Maintain classification and configuration in material master according to your needs
- Transfer the changes to PP/DS with CURTOADV_CREATE
- Now you can set the “advanced planning flag” in the material master (see next topic).
I plan to have the following BOMs for my 2 examples:
For these examples create materials (finished product, semi-finished products, raw materials) as you need – in Transaction MM01 – with at least the following views and settings. This is just a suggestion which I created for my examples, of course you can adjust it to your needs:
- Procurement type (select one):
- In-house production (to create planned orders)
- External procurement (to create purchase requisitions)
- Procurement type (select one):
- Strategy Group (select one)
- 20 – MTO Production
- 40 – MTS With Final Assembly
- Availability Check: Your checking groups created before (only relevant for the finished product)
- In my example I created another KMAT Material with configuration and added that material as reference in the MRP3 view (to use the characteristics of that material)
- Strategy Group (select one)
- Production Version with your Routing and BOM (you will do this in a later step, under Routing)
- Advanced Planning
- Advanced Planning flag: (only set this True, if you are finished with everything else regarding characteristics setup (or you don’t have characteristics, like in my first example), otherwise leave this false and come back later if you finished your master data setup!)
- Scope limitation: <blank> (only relevant if advanced planning flag is set True)
- PP Planning Procedure (choose one)
- 3 – Cover dependent requirements immediately (for finished products and semi-finished products, to trigger supply creation during the ATP check)
- 4 – Planning in Planning Run (for raw materials to not trigger supply creation during the ATP check)
- Product Heuristic: SAP_PP_SBC
- It is also recommended to create and fill out the following material master views, to have a meaningful setup:
- Basic Data 1-2
- Sales Org 1-2
- Sale general plant
- General plant storage 1-2
- Accounting 1-2
In transaction CS01 create your BOM with the materials you just created.
Create work centers in transaction CR01 for your capacities. You can setup:
- Block planning (this we will discuss in details later)
Create routing in transaction CA01 based on your work center and add it to your material master MRP4 view to your production versions.
Transfer changes to APO
In case your master data is finished or you made changes, transfer the changes to PP/DS (S/4 internal) with transaction CURTOADV_CREATE (with absolute transfer if you want to go for sure).
Now that you finished your setup and transferred the changes to PP/DS, don’t forget to set the Advanced Planning flag in the material master and execute the transfer CURTOADV_CREATE again.
More details regarding master data setup you can find here.
I hope you enjoyed reading and setting up your example, in the next part of the series I will show you a simple use case how SBC can make the life easier for our customers. Stay tuned and see you next time!