SAP Archive Object-Basic customization settings for Archive Objects
SAP DATA Archiving:
Why data Archive require?
For Example: In your company using sap system, Users complaints can’t access the data faster and the system performance is very slow so the system administrator claims that database growth is too large hence back up taken too many hours and we required extra hardware in this situation, we cannot delete the old data from database, because the business requires the old data for the legal purpose hence to overcome this situation we require data archiving.
What is an Archive object:
- An Archive object is a central component of SAP DATA Archiving.
- Data Archiving means removal of application data from sap database and storing the data to an archiving file this done with help of write and delete programs by using an archive object.
- This Archive object refers to business object internally with help of archive object the data from sap application data base is deleted and stored in archive file.
- Once created archive files can further moved to run external storage like file system, storage servers etc…
Basic customization settings for Archive Objects:
- Goto SARA tcode and enter the Archive object.
Click on Customizing menu button-> Pop up will open and click on cross-client File name/paths.
- Every archiving object must have a logical file name assigned to it in customization.
- File paths are maintained in File Transaction code.
Procedure to Define file name and file paths.
Call transaction FILE (or SARA choosing customization)
Define Logical Path:-
- Define a logical file path in Logical File path Definition.
2.Select existing ARCHIVE_GLOBAL_PATH. If require new one, click on new entries and Enter the Logical path and Description.
3.Select the ARCHIVE_GLOBAL_PATH and double click on the Assignment Of physical path to Logical path folder. It will open below screen.
Double click on UNIX Enter the Physical Path.
This Assignment of Physical path to Logical path
The Parameters mentioned in Physical path are available to us that are filled with values during runtime. If click On F1 on Physical path, you can view the list of naming conventions.
Logical File Definition
Define a logical file name in Logical File name Definition.
Doble click on ARCHIVE_DATA_FILE the below screen will open.
Enter the Physical path name under the Logical path.
This is done Physical file and Logical path to the assignment of existing the logical file.
Now this logical file must be assigned to the archive object.
Go to SARA tcode
Enter the FI_DOCUMNT Archive object and click on customizing.
Double click on technical settings below screen will open and enter the Logical file name.
Interaction b/w Logical and Physical File names and file paths.
This Blog as I discussed with you, Basic customization settings.
How to define Logical file name, physical file name, Logical file path and Physical file path for archiving file using File Transaction code. This Archiving Concepts is very big topic so I will post next blog Displaying Archive data by using archive information system(AIS),Filed catalogue. Please follow these blogs.
Please leave your comments if anything required to share.
Please find the below Reference blogs.