SAP Extended Warehouse Management in SAP S/4HANA 2022 FPS01 – What’s New
We have recently released the latest updates for SAP EWM with the SAP S/4HANA 2022 Feature Pack 1 update. As with most Feature Packs, the delivered enhancements not only improve and compliment the SAP EWM features delivered in the SAP S/4HANA 2022 release, but also add new features to our strategic warehouse solution. As this is a lighter release compared to SAP S/4HANA 2022 or SAP S/4HANA Cloud, public edition 2302, I would like to cover only some key highlights, and leave the rest for your own exploration.
Machine Learning for Slotting
And the first highlight to feature is also our greatest for this release. With slotting by Machine Learning (ML), the system derives storage concepts for new or modified products by analyzing existing or past products. With this new capability, warehouse analytics experts and clerks can use Machine Learning (ML) to reduce the effort of initial setup by lowering implementation efforts to derive slotting rules automatically from current and historic product data.
The ML algorithm produces a statistics-based model from representative data that has been submitted as input in the system. This type of model generation is called training. The system will then improve the model through retraining with each change to specific input values.
The system uses embedded scenarios that can be found in the “Intelligent Scenario Management” app for machine learning integration. For more information, see Embedded Scenarios.
With this new functionality, the following indicators of the storage concept can be determined by Machine Learning and stored in the product master:
- Putaway control indicator
- Stock removal control indicator
- Storage section indicator
Segmentation in Advanced Production Integration
With segmentation, users can divide materials logically based on certain attributes, such as quality or customer segment. When materials that are relevant for segmentation are used, they can be managed in the warehouse for individual stock segments. Segmentation is integrated in different warehouse processes, including the inbound process, outbound process, and returns process.
With the SAP S/4HANA 2022 FPS01 release, users can now also perform the following activities for segmentation-managed products in Advanced Production Integration:
- Process goods receipt – when creating an inbound delivery in Extended Warehouse Management (EWM) using “Prepare Goods Receipt – Production” (also known as transaction /SCWM/GRPI), the system replicates the stock segment from the production order to the inbound delivery. If the inbound delivery is created in Logistics Execution (LE) based on the production order, the system replicates the stock segment from LE to the EWM inbound delivery.
- Perform staging – perform production material request (PMR) based staging and manufacturing execution system (MES) driven staging for segmentation-managed products. The system uses the staging method single-order staging only, to ensure that each manufacturing order gets a stock segment that fits its requirements.
- Post consumption – post consumption for segmentation-managed products in the following ways:
- Using the “Consumption by Manufacturing Order” radio frequency (RF) transaction
- Using the “Consumption by Production” app
- Using function module /SCWM/MFG_CONSUME_ITEMS_EXT
New SAP Fiori App “Load or Unload Freight Orders”
Originally delivered in the SAP S/4HANA Cloud, public edition 2302 release, this app has also been now made available for the On Premise & Private Cloud deployment options for SAP EWM. I will recap what I wrote in that article: With the “Load or Unload Freight Orders” app Warehouse Clerks can use the planned freight orders from Transportation Management (TM) to process loading activities in Advanced Shipping and Receiving. This app can also be used to:
- Handle deliveries managed in Warehouse Management
- Indicate when a vehicle arrives at or departs from assigned doors
- Indicate when goods are loaded
- Indicate if goods are loaded completely on stop level
- Post goods issue
Advanced Shipping & Receiving: Enhancements to the Outbound Process
One final highlight I would like to spotlight is the new transport driven scenario made available for outbound processes in Advanced Shipping & Receiving (ASR) scenarios. Prior to this release, the only option supported for transportation planning and warehouse processing in the ASR outbound process was the Warehouse Driven scenario. In this scenario, warehouse processing takes place before the transportation planning, and the outbound delivery order is immediately available for warehouse processing.
With this release however, we now allow for transportation planning to take place (in whole or in part) before warehouse processing. In the new Transport Driven scenario, the outbound delivery order is initially blocked. It can only be unblocked in Transportation Management by setting the warehouse processing status of all freight units for the outbound delivery order to ”Ready for Warehouse Processing”.
FIND OUT MORE!
There are a few more features and enhancements that we brought to our solution with the SAP S/4HANA 2022 FPS01 release, such as the SCM route made available for embedded SAP EWM, managing customer stock is now also possible for decentral SAP EWM, more APIs, new Monitor methods, a wide range of continuous improvements, new RF enhancements and so on. I highly encourage you to explore our latest “SAP EWM in SAP S/4HANA 2022 FPS01 – What’s New” document for a more detailed look into all of our new features and enhancements.
For more information about SAP Extended Warehouse Management, please follow us on social media, our YouTube channel or our community pages:
For a complete list of Q&A about SAP EWM from the community, please access this link:
In case you do not find your specific question there, feel free to post your question via the following form: