SAP Data Migration Cockpit – Nutshell
Hope you all are doing Great!
Welcome back to my data migration blog series.
Purpose of this Blog :
With introduction of S4 HANA, SAP has introduced us to many new tools built in the system. Today we will talk about one such tool used for data migration in S4 HANA, SAP Migration Cockpit.
I will try to cover the details which I have got over the period by working on this tool.
What’s in it for you?
The blog will explain the different pieces of migration cockpit which will give you the very good start and understanding of tool.
Let’s get into the blog!
Migration cockpit is SAP provided tool in S4 Hana for data migration purpose. This tool has different approaches for migrating data from SAP or Non SAP system through files, tables or direct transfer. Tool comes with built in content/objects for data migration like products, business partners etc.
Tool Access –
Tool is available to be accessed in GUI through tcode as well as FIORI app in recent S4 versions.There have been significant changes in features between both the options but the end to end process is same.
LTMC (Legacy Transfer Migration Cockpit) is the tcode to access the tool in SAP GUI, user interface will open up in interner explorer browser. (see screenshot) Using this interface you can work with projects you created or you can create new projects also.
Fiori Way –
You can access the fiori GUI using tcode (/n/ui2/flp) or through direct link. Once the fiori is up and running you can look for app called “Migrate Your Data” to access migration cockpit.
What to use from above?
Old versions including S4 hana 2020 and prior will allow you to use LTMC in full mode. SAP introduced fiori app from 2020 version. So 2020 version you will have both options available to you for using migration cockpit but versions released after 2020 will only allow fiori app method to access migration cockpit and LTMC will only be available as read only option.
Note : There is one more important tcode associated with migration cockpit which is LTMOM used for customization purposes, will have more details in the later section of blog.
Data Migration Approaches –
There are widely 3 migration approaches in migration cockpit-
- File Based Approach –
- In this approach, SAP provides in built templates for the data migration for various sap data objects.
- This is suitable when you have less complex data migration requirements and volume is not huge.
- This supports migration from NON SAP/SAP to S4 Hana
- Staging Tables based Approach –
- In this approach, staging tables are created in HANA DB for data objects which can be populated using ETL tool.
- This is suitable for any complex data migration requirements and for high volumes of data.
- This supports migration from NON SAP/SAP to S4 Hana
- Direct Transfer Approach
- In this approach, direct connection is created between SAP system to S4 Hana system for data transfer
Based on data migration requirement for business suitable approach is selected.
To use any approach you would need to create project first and set it up correctly based on approach requirements. select the data objects as per scope and make sure dependecies are also taken care.
Data Migration Process –
4 step guided migration process is built in migration cockpit for carrying out the data migration.
Step 1- Validate Data – This step validates the data from templates or tables and throws any errors encountered in configs etc
Step 2 – Convert Values-
- This step is used for performing value mapping for fields from source to target. You can view, edit any source to target value mappings for fields in use.
- Correct mapping of all values is must in this step
- You can export import value mappings when you have larget set of source to target values. LTMC generates semi colon separated csv file while exporting and it expects same format for import whereas fiori has predefined xml template for value mappings also which could be used.
Step 3 – Simulation of Data – Migration cockpit does data simulation before actual load to see if there any more data validation issues before the the final import of data
Step 4- Import Data –
- This is the step where actually the data is migrated to system, you may see some errors on this step also
- if any errors encontered in this step, those records with errors will be skipped and rest of the data will be loaded to system.
- A delta file with failed records will be automatically created and would be available for download in case of file approach
Please see, the sequence of steps is imp and before moving to next step prior step should be completed.
You may notice various types of messages/notifications in each step like below –
Error, Warnings, Information etc.
LTMOM (Customization of Migration project)
- LTMOM is very important piece of migration cockpit which works with both approaches LTMC and Fiori.
- Using LTMOM tcode you can customize your data migration project for any migration apporach.
- You can customize objects by adding, deleting fields or adding custom fields also
- You can create your own objects from scratch
- You can write complex logics for field mappings if required or you can create your own rules also.
Migration cockpit does not end here and has lot to offer specially with new fiori app but this is the nutshell of it and would provide a good start if you are trying to learn this. I will cover more advanced topics in upcoming blogs so stay tuned!
Please do share and subscribe the blog and share your valuable feedback so that I can improve my content and help readers get more better learning experience around SAP data migration and data quality.
Happy Learning and reading!! 🙂
This is really informative.Very much helpful thanks!
Vyomakesh Bharadwaj Racherla
Thankyou for the appreciation!
Thank you Ashwin, it is good information.
Thank you Ashish, this is a nice overview and starting point. I appreciate the summary of the process. We are planning to use the file based migration approach. However I am a little worried - there is a Migrate Your Data - Migration Cockpit (old) and a new version of the app. It seems that in the new version, only the direct transfer and the staging tables are possible. Do you have any information on this? I wasn't able to find it in the roadmap viewer at all.
That would be much appreciated, thank you!
What version of S4 HANA you are planning to use? Based on that we can decide the app.
If you are planning to use s4 hana above 2020 version then you would need to use fiori app -Migrate your data. In that staging and file based approach are merged but you can use file based approach when you will select the db connection as local.
If you are using 2020, you have an option of using LTMC where you will find this file approach as a separate option.
To summarize, file based is there in new app also with slightly different way of using it.
Feel free to connect with me if you need more details!