Initiatives in SuccessFactors Goals Management
In this blog, the user will learn to use Initiatives in SAP SuccessFactors Goals Management.
SuccessFactors Goal Management provides a feature known as “initiatives” whereby administrators can create corporate, departmental, division, business unit, and location-level initiatives and further enable employees to link their own personal goals to those initiatives.
How it works:
HR Admin wants to create corporate initiatives with which the entire workforce should align.
- UI version is GM v12
- Enable Initiatives, Enable Generic Objects, Enable the Attachment Manager, and Role-Based Permissions options are enabled in Provisioning
- Manage Initiatives and Share Initiatives permissions
- Enabling Initiatives:
Initiatives can be turned on using SuccessFactors Admin Center.
- Go to Admin Center Goal Management Goal Management Feature Settings
- A list of Goal Management related settings is shown.
- Select Enable Initiatives.
- Click Save.
Once the initiatives are enabled, the next step is to assign permission to the required permission roles.
There are two primary role-based permissions associated with Team Goals:
Manage Initiatives– grants permission to create/edit/view initiative groups and initiatives
Share Initiatives – grants permission to share the initiative with other users that may require administrative control over the initiative or who may wish to cascade the initiative to another group
- Creating an Initiative Group: An Initiative Group with a bunch of relevant Initiatives, which you can assign and share with other employees.
Below are the steps to create an Initiative Group.
Admin Center>Goal Management>Manage Initiatives>Click Create Initiative Group> Enter information about your initiative group.
When you create an initiative group, you can provide a name, set the initiative group to active, and then add a series of relevant initiatives.
Manage Initiative Actions: Once you create your initiative group, you can manage it through the below actions.
- Create Initiatives: Once the Initiative group is created, the next step is to create initiatives within the group to assign/share within the organization.
Below are the steps to create an Initiative.
Admin Center>Goal Management>Manage Initiatives>Click Action Next to Initiative Group>Click Edit>Click Add Initiatives>Hit Save button
- Sharing an Initiative Group: Sharing an initiative group allows users to share administrative privileges with other administrators. Those with shared access can assign the initiative group to others.
- Assigning an Initiative Group: Assigning the initiative group is a two-step process.
- You can assign an Initiative Group to employees.
- Align the Initiative Group to specific Goal Plans.
- Linking Performance Goals to Initiatives: Once the initiative group has been assigned to users and aligned to a goal plan, it will appear on the user’s goal plan when adding/editing a personal goal.
- There are certain limitations with Initiatives in SuccessFactors such as:
- You can’t associate goals from goal libraries with initiatives upon creation. However, you can edit the goals to associate them with initiatives later.
- You can’t assign initiatives to more than 15,000 users in a single transaction.
- Initiatives can’t be imported; however, initiative groups can be imported via Import and Export Data.
- Initiatives can’t be localized using 3-Tier Language Architecture.
- Initiatives aren’t integrated with Performance Management.
- Initiatives can’t be marked as mandatory items while creating/modifying the goals.
References: SAP SuccessFactors Goals Management Implementation Guide and SAP KBA-2351341.
Please feel free to provide your feedback or thoughts in the comments.