Release Highlights of S/4HANA Cloud, Public Edition for Higher Education & Research, 2302
With February just starting it also marks the availability of the SAP S/4HANA Cloud, Public Edition 2302 update release. Our SAP product team has been delivering new modern experiences, and enhancements in core enterprise resource planning (ERP), to improve Higher Education & Research institutional and staff productivity.
Over the last quarter, we have been working on a range of enhancements and innovations, as well specifically in the core areas of Grant- and Budget Management whereof a summary is described further down in this blog.Figure: My Homepage for a Grant & Budget Administrator.
Optimize your Grants & Budget Management capabilities with SAP S/4HANA Cloud, Public Edition
The S/4HANA Cloud, Public Edition, for the US, aka the ‘US PSM scope’, offers a comprehensive overview of Budget Management / Fund Accounting for U.S. public sector entities that include state and local governments, cities, K-12 schools, and Higher Education & Research.
The Budget Management / Fund Accounting solution supports the budgeting-based management of funds. In this fully integrated solution, all budget-relevant financial and commitment postings will automatically check for available budgets and communicate relevant statuses.
The US PSM scope of the S/4HANA Cloud, Public Edition also offers Grantee Management functionality to enable Public Sector / Higher Education & Research organizations (receiving the grants) to manage external financing within the scope of the related sponsored programs.
The Grants Management solution makes controlling and distributing sponsored funds from grantors (e.g. funded/sponsored research) and the usage of sponsored funds (planning, budgeting, and invoicing) by recipients of sponsored funds more transparent. By recording external financing sources you can stay compliant with the sponsor rules and report accordingly.
Before sharing the enhancements for Budget & Grants Management let me start off by providing you an update on some generic new UX and Extensibility improvements with the 2302 release:
Microsoft Teams Integration & Collaboration
Streamline your institution’s performance with Collaborative ERP: make more informed decisions by combining information from the SAP S/4HANA Cloud, Public Edition ERP system (e.g. research project information, research purchase orders, etc) along with expertise from the right department and staff within your institution who are connected with Microsoft Teams.
Utilize the new ‘Share to Microsoft Teams’ feature in the Share menu for seamless collaboration in Microsoft Teams. Share links directly to ERP content, including context and reasoning, for efficient and informed decision-making.
More information via this blog: https://blogs.sap.com/2022/11/22/collaborative-erp-integrates-the-best-of-sap-s-4hana-cloud-public-edition-with-microsoft-teams/Figure: Easily share the details of a Purchase Order via MS Teams
Improved UX for My Home
Enhance your daily tasks with the improved My Home Screen. The 2302 release introduced new and additional card types for the My Home screen, providing a centralized hub for information, tasks, and apps. Streamline and optimize your daily activities and work more effectively and efficiently with this powerful feature.
More on the UX topic for S/4HANA Cloud, Public Edition can be found here: https://blogs.sap.com/2023/02/03/sap-user-experience-in-sap-s-4hana-cloud-public-edition-2302/
Figure: My Homepage and the availability of new Cards
Expand Your Development Options with SAP: strengthen your developer experience by easily creating your own ABAP code on top of SAP’s code. Last year September we introduced a three-system landscape for new customers, providing increased flexibility to meet changing business needs.
With SAP S/4HANA Cloud, Public Edition 2302, take advantage of over 4,700 APIs and nearly 300 released objects for your development projects. Check out the SAP Extensibility Explorer for hands-on experience, custom code creation, and sample scenarios. Start exploring now!
Figure: Setup your own custom logic in S/4HANA Cloud, Public Edition
Core ERP enhancements
There are many more enhancements delivered for the core ERP part for SAP S/4HANA Cloud, Public Edition, 2302, please read Bert Schulze’s release blog on the SAP Community. for more details.
Please always check which exact scope items are made available in the US PSM scope bundle!
You can easily check that via the SAP Best Practice Explorer and the ‘Availability and Dependencies of Scope Items‘ (see tab: Scope_BP_CLD_PSM).
Grant- and Budget Management Enhancements
With the 2302 release there also have been a range of enhancements delivered for the S/4HANA Cloud, Public Edition, US PSM scope bundle, built and made available for the US (Higher) Education & Research market.
Via the SAP Best Practices Explorer, you can scroll through scope items made available for the ‘Public Sector Management Scope Bundle’. which also applies to (Higher) Education & Research.
Figure: SAP’s Best Practices Explorer and the US PSM Scope Bundle.
The latest 2302 enhancements for the US PSM scope are outlined, point-wise here below:
Budget Maintenance/ Execution
- Commitments against Lease Contracts
- Residual Budget Handling
- Earmarked Funds Workflows
- Enhancements for Revenue Increasing Budget
- Enhancement Master Data Where-Used Lists
- Improved Carry Forward Processing
- APIs Earmarked Funds
- Automatic Splitting Earmarked Funds
- Budget Supplements/Returns/Transfers
- Budget Releases
- Responsibility Management
- Where-Used Lists
- APIs Master Data
- Grant Master Workflow Enhancements
SAP Analytics Cloud Integration
- Further Budget Planning Content (separate scope item)
Here below are a couple of examples along with some more context and screenshots from the above Grants and Budget Management enhancements.
Grants Master Workflow Enhancements
Enhance your Grants Management with SAP workflow management. With both the 2208 and 2302 releases, you now have access to a set of standard Grant Master data elements to steer your workflow and:
- Have the ability to route status changes for certain grant master data for workflow approval
- Configuration of workflow-related rules for approval (such as for agent determination)
- Inbox approval processing for approval, rejection, resubmission, and the like
Track down where your Grants, Funds and Sponsored Objects are being used:
- Identify the specific uses of grants management master data (sponsored program and sponsored class) across the system
- Get details about these external objects, so grant specialists can communicate with other line-of-business experts:
- WBS elements
- General ledger accounts
- Global account hierarchies
- Validation and substitution rules
Residual Budget Handling
Easily carry forward residual (unused) budget via the Budget Specialist Role into the next fiscal year, budget period etc:
- Have the ability to reuse a residual budget in line with legislation
- Improve reporting along fiscal years
- Exhibit fiduciary use of taxpayer money through increased compliance and transparency of the budget lifecycle
Figure: Define the details and conditions of the budget move
Enhancements for Revenue Increasing Budget
Additional features and functions delivered to optimize the process of Revenues Increasing Budget (RIB).
Grant budgets are often made available for expenditure only after money is received from the sponsor. RIB defines rules for when and how such budget increases should take place.
This includes the following features:
- Flexible definition of revenue posting and budgeting addresses participating in the “revenues increasing the budget” (RIB) process
- Ability to calculate the amount available in the RIB process based on calculation formulas
- Management of rules comprising, among others:
- Calculation formula
- Receiving expenditure budget addresses
- Application job to allow a budget increase based on revenues:
- Scheduled on a regular basis
- Increased on demand
More info on the Grant and Budget management functionalities can be found via the Product Documentation and Help webpage: SAP.Help.com
For more information on what is coming into the next release for S/4HANA Cloud, Public Edition, ‘US PSM scope’ please scroll through the SAP Roadmap Explorer.
Join the Community – Make Your Voice Heard!
Join the SAP S/4HANA Cloud, Public Edition Community for a dynamic experience with SAP subject matter experts. This fully integrated community unites customers, partners, and experts with the goal of sharing best practices and product solutions.
Explore the community’s “one-stop shop” for resources, tools, content, and expert guidance as you embark on your journey with SAP S/4HANA Cloud, Public Edition.
More Information on SAP S/4HANA Cloud, Public Edition
- SAP S/4HANA Cloud, public edition release info here
- Latest SAP S/4HANA Cloud, public edition release blog posts here
- Product videos on our SAP S/4HANA Cloud, Public Edition
- Early Release Webinar Series here
- Inside SAP S/4HANA Podcast here
- openSAP Micro learnings for SAP S/4HANA here
- Best practices for SAP S/4HANA Cloud, public edition (enterprise edition scope bundle) here
- SAP S/4HANA Cloud, Public Edition Community: here
- Feature Scope Description here
- What’s New here
- Help Portal Product Page here
Follow me on Linkedin to get the latest & greatest on SAP Higher Education & Research, and SAP S/4HANA Cloud, Public Edition.
it is for US PSM scope only OR available for all.
Currently, the PSM scope is only available for the US.
Per the 2308 release, the PSM scope will also be made available for Canada.
Please find the roadmap item for that here: https://roadmaps.sap.com/board?INDUSTRY=EDU&INDUSTRY=PUBLIC&PRODUCT=67837800100800007389&q=canada&range=CURRENT-LAST#;INNO=951BE4DE95861EED9F8CC1469752E885
Kind regards - Rob