Product Updates for SAP Business Application Studio – Release 2301
I hope you had a great start into 2023!
Release 2301 of SAP Business Application Studio is now available for our customers. I’m happy to share with you some of the new features included in this release.
Additional Features for the Storyboard
The storyboard gives you a graphical overview of the components of your application. In addition, it shows you, how those components are connected to each other.
With the new release, you can now see the external data models that are part of your application in the storyboard for SAP Cloud Application Programming Model and for low-code applications.
The external data models are presented in a new column, and the data model or service entities projections are shown in the Data Models or Services column in correlation.
To make the use of the storyboard even more convenient, you can now use a filter from the storyboard view. This allows you to either show or hide the properties that are relevant for you.
Run configurations for Low-Code-Based Full-Stack Cloud Applications
Run configurations allow you to define how your projects or unit tests are executed. It is now possible to use the run configuration tool in SAP Business Application Studio to also create run configurations for Low-Code-Based Full-Stack Cloud Applications:
- From the run configuration view, you can create or edit a run configuration.
- If your application uses an OData service as an external data model, you are able to configure whether to use mock or live data, when you test run your application.
- Also, if you choose to run with live data, you’ll be able to configure the destination to be used for the OData service and de facto test your application with different services without the need for changing your application.
- The preview function for applications now uses the run configurations. With this, you can create, edit or run a new run configuration for your application directly from the homepage.
Please note: In the past there was the possibility to choose between the options “With sample data” and “With live data”, when running the preview. This has now changed. As long as you didn’t add any external data models the run configuration will run in mode “With sample data” by default. As soon as you added an external data model, you can select between the two data types “Mock Data” (similar to previous option “With sample data”) and “Live Data” (similar to previous option “With live data”).
We added some new features to further enhance the usability of SAP Business Application Studio for you:
- New Guide Center
The Guide Center gives you the ability to access guides in one central place whenever you need them. For comfortable access it appears on the left pane of SAP Business Application Studio. It allows you to use it as an in-context help and find answers or guidance on demand. Each guide will appear with its own name. “Model an Application”, for example, explains how to create data models and services. Other guides describe how to create user interfaces or how to preview or deploy applications.
- Easy Access from Header
You can now comfortably access the often used run and debug functionality directly from the header. This allows you to run and debug with only one click.
Application Logic: Visual Editor
With the new release, a visual design ability has been introduced for the Low Code Application Platform (LCAP) Application Logic Editor. The Application Logic Editor is built on top of the event handler of the SAP Cloud Application Programming Model (CAP). The new feature enables users to visually design the function body of their application logic, including generation of the Node.js source code, instead of manually coding the instructions. To be able to work with the new visual editor, users need basic programming knowledge. There is no need to be a technical expert.
There are 3 pillars supporting this new visual programming approach:
- Templates always provide a possibility to start from an existing code line or block. There is no need to start coding from scratch.
- For further customization, the templates contain pills, which can be assigned the required values to generate the corresponding code.
- There are several common functions on hand, which allow an easy start with the visual editor (especially useful for users with little coding experience).
For further information on new features, please have a look at the “What’s new” information for SAP Business Application Studio.