What is SAP BTP?
SAP BTP is short for SAP Business Technology Platform, a PaaS cloud computing service offered by SAP.
Before that, a brief history of SAP BTP:
Cloud computing refers to storing, accessing, and managing data on remote servers that are hosted on the Internet (the Cloud) instead of the computer’s hard drive or local server. In other words, it is the delivery of computing services—including servers, storage, databases, networking, software, analytics, and intelligence—over the Internet (the Cloud).
Cloud computing is also referred to as Internet-based computing.
Cloud Computing Services
Most cloud computing services fall into three broad categories:
- Software as a service (SaaS)
- Platform as a service (PaaS)
- Infrastructure as a service (IaaS)
PaaS (Platform as a Service)
PaaS provides a platform and environment to allow users to build applications and services over the Internet. PaaS services are hosted in the cloud and accessed by users simply via their web browser.
For a non-technical example, let’s say that you would like to plan an event, you will have two options either to create a venue or to rent a venue, but the event is the same.
For a technical example, let’s say that you would like to build your own web application that is integrated with SAP S/4HANA. When you use middleware such as SAP BTP, all you need to do is just write the code to build your application. Other things that are required to build and run your code such as development tools, database, analytics, operating system, servers and storage, network, security, data centers – are all managed by SAP. The advantage of this model is that users can spend their time effectively concentrating on building the application rather than managing the software and hardware that lie underneath.
Advantages of PaaS:
- Simple and convenient for users: It provides much of the infrastructure and other IT services, which users can access anywhere via a web browser.
- Cost effective: It charges for the services provided on a per-use basis, thus eliminating the expenses one may have for on-premises hardware and software.
- Efficient lifecycle management: It is designed to support the complete web application lifecycle: building, testing, deploying, managing, and updating.
- Efficiency: It allows for higher-level programming with reduced complexity thus, the overall development of the application can be more effective.
SAP BTP offers the following solutions:
Application Development and Automation: Create apps faster, automate processes, and scale without limits.
Extended Planning and Analysis: Take enterprise planning to the next level by connecting all people and plans.
Data and Analytics: Give data purpose with our data and analytics solutions.
- Integration: Connect and automate your processes business-wide.
Artificial Intelligence: Infuse artificial intelligence in your apps in a scalable and responsible fashion.
To know more about SAP BTP solutions, see here.
Therefore, we can also define SAP BTP as a technology platform that brings together data and analytics, artificial intelligence, application development, automation, and integration in one, unified environment.
To know more about SAP BTP, see here.
Hope you found this blog post helpful!
Please share your feedback in the comments section and please do post questions if any here.