Dynamically Increase/Decrease Background/Dialog Work Processes in SAP
This blog is for the topic “Increase/Decrease Background/Dialog Work Processes Without Restarting SAP System”. As a SAP BASIS consultant, We always come across scenarios wherein there is requirement to dynamically switch between dialog/background work process in live SAP system.
Yes! It is possible by implementing operation mode in SAP, but you can only switch some of the DIALOG processes to become BACKGROUND processes and vice versa. The total number of work processes in the system remains same.
Lets consider the real time scenario, We have some critical background jobs in SAP System which needs to be run, but all background work-processes are occupied at the moment hence we need to add background work process in the system without restarting the system.
Steps to perform the change:
1. Suppose, We have 16 Dialog & 9 Background Work process in the SAP system. This can be checked from SM50 Transaction in SAP.
2. Now, We need to decrease 1 Dialog Wok process from 16 Dialog work processes and add it as background work process. This means the requirement is to make 15 Dialog & 10 Background Work process in the SAP system
3.Create the operation mode using transaction RZ04. In our case we have the Regular Operations mode being used for complete 24 Hrs. of span.
4. Next step is to open the operation mode being used at this point of time, this can be done by double clicking on Regular Operations mode in this case.
5. We need to decrease 1 dialog Wok process from 16 dialog work processes and add it as background work process. To do this, we need to double click on number 16 of above screen. i.e on work process distribution. This will open screen as below.
6. Next step is to place the cursor in Dialog proc. box and decrease the work process using – (Minus) symbol, For Background work process to increase by 1, use + (Plus) symbol in same screen. Now we have Work Process count as below, save this configuration and click save on RZ04 main screen as well.
7. Further step is to switch the operation mode for server for which you have made changes (option – Selected Servers) in RZ03 Transaction. In case you have made the changes in all servers work processes you can go with all servers selection.
8. Here we go, We have successfully switched the dialog work process to background work process. The same can be verified using SM50 tcode on the servers for which we have done the changes.
- Dialog/Background work process can be switched dynamically in SAP system.
- The total number of work process cannot be changed dynamically. rdips/wp_max_no parameter decides the max. work process count and to change this will need system restart.
Requesting all readers to drop your feedback or thoughts in comments, also post your questions, if you have any, I will try to answer to the best of my knowledge and research.
Do follow my profile to see more useful contents related to SAP BASIS and HANA topics in near future.