How to Activate Universal Parallel Accounting in SAP S/4HANA 2022
Universal parallel accounting is a powerful feature in SAP S/4HANA 2022 that allows companies to maintain multiple accounting representations or views in parallel, each with its own specific chart of accounts, currency, and legal requirements.
This feature can be used to support various business scenarios, such as consolidation, intercompany transactions, statutory reporting, and management reporting, among others. With universal parallel accounting, companies can efficiently manage their financial data and comply with different accounting standards and regulations, while leveraging the benefits of SAP’s integrated system.
In this blog we will explore how to activate the business function Universal Parallel Accounting (FINS_PARALLEL_ACCOUNTING_BF) in SAP S/4HANA 2022 along with UPA fiori tiles
1. Prerequisites & Pre Checks:
The FINS_PARALLEL_ACCOUNTING_BF business function can only be activated in a system that has no existing material or asset master data and no transactional data and that meets certain Customizing requirements to ensure data consistency.
This business function is valid for the entire system, but it must be activated only once in one client. It is important to run all checks in all clients of the system landscape to ensure that there is no transactional data and all prerequisites are met. This includes all systems that are connected to the system where the business function is being activated through transports.
Before activating the FINS_PARALLEL_ACCOUNTING_BF business function, the following steps must be completed for every client in the system environment:
- Build the latest SAP S/4HANA 2022 version you can get a trial version from SAP CAL
- Take the Backup of the system you have
- Verify that the material ledger is not active for any plant in the system.
- Ensure that there is no transactional data, cost rates, settlement-relevant account assignment objects, or asset master data present.
- Note: If there is existing data in a test system, it can be reset using program Reset Transaction Data (SAPF020, transaction OBR1).
- Run the transaction Check Ledger Customizing for UPA (FINS_CUST_CONS_C_UPA) to ensure that the central prerequisites for activating Universal Parallel Accounting (FINS_PARALLEL_ACCOUNTING_BF) are met, such as the use of only single-valuation ledgers.
- Go to transaction SFW5 –> ENTERPRISE_BUSINESS_FUNCTIONS
- Select (Check ) the FINS_PARALLEL_ACCOUNTING_BF and Click on Activate Changes
- Please ensure that the Job SFW_ACTIVATE_SF0X is finished in SM37
- Once UPA activation is done in Green field implementation you can proceed to implement other business functions related to Finance,Logistics & MDG.
3. Post Activation Steps:
- Go to Transaction SFW5 and check the status of FINS_PARALLEL_ACCOUNTING_BF which should be “Business func. will remain activated“
- Assign the FIORI Business Roles to the user. You can refer SAP Fiori Apps Library
- I have assigned the below roles for my test user
- Now Login to Fiori Using the FIORI URL https://<<hostname>>:<<https port>>/sap/bc/ui5_ui5/ui2/ushell/shells/%20abap/FioriLaunchpad.html
- Go to App finder
- Now You can see the UPA tiles On and working
4. Issues & Fixes
Error1: Currency type for controlling not allowed for ledger FINS_PARALLEL_ACCOUNTING_BF
If you get such errors ensure that you have performed the cleanup (OBR1) as mentioned in pre-requisites.
Note: We have to perform the pre checks in all clients
You have learned how to activate the Universal Parallel Accounting(FINS_PARALLEL_ACCOUNTING_BF ) along with needed Fiori tiles.
Universal Parallel Accounting allows for the use of legal and management valuation ledgers, supports multiple currencies, and simplifies configuration and processes. It improves steering effectiveness and serves as a foundation for future innovations.
For more information on Universal Parallel Accounting, check out the following links:
- Blog series on Universal Parallel Accounting with focus on
- Scope Information Note for SAP S/4HANA and SAP S/4HANA Cloud, Private Cloud Edition
- Restriction Note for Universal Parallel Accounting in SAP S/4HANA Cloud
- SAP S/4HANA Cloud, Private Edition, and SAP S/4HANA for Finance | 2022 Product Update
by Ulrich Hauke
- Blog introducing the delivery in SAP S/4HANA Cloud 2105 by Ulrich Hauke
- Business Function Documentation
Please follow me for more such technical blogs. Also, please do let me know your thoughts in comments if this content helps.