Creating an Effective EdTech Solution: Designing the Right Platform
EdTech platforms, enabled by digital technologies, are revolutionizing education by making quality instruction accessible to even remote areas and enhancing the learning experience for trainers and learners. EdTech platforms have become an essential tool as they provide a wide range of features that help to improve the learning experience. As with online banking, which was initially seen as an optional feature but has now become the primary mode of banking for many people, the same shift is expected to occur in the education sector. EdTech platforms will become the main method of delivering education and traditional in-person instruction will become less prevalent.
Creating an effective platform involves significant effort and careful planning.
When constructing a system that can truly benefit its users, these key factors should be taken into account.
- Build engagement not transaction: The platform should focus on building engagement with the students, rather than just record keeping. A system where the learner looks forward to the next class, exercise & activity and participates in them with excitement.
- Do not copycat the existing traditional system: The platform should not just digitize books and teaching materials but transform and use technology to improve the experience.
- The system should not be a silo. The platform should be able to integrate with other systems, such as LMS, Campus ERP, and SIS, for seamless data transfer and management.
- As the adage goes, “what can’t be measured can’t be managed”, to ensure ongoing system improvement, it is crucial to employ standard industry metrics to measure performance. Also, there could be new indicators based on specific learning requirements.
- Shallow learning curve: The platform should be easy to use and have a shallow learning curve, to make it accessible to all.
- Live and vibrant community: The platform should have a live and vibrant community, with updates and personalized feeds, to foster social collaboration.
- Ensure the system follows the existing distance learning/online education rules/policies of the government where the services are offered.
The following are some of the key features that an effective EdTech platform should have:
- Accessibility: The platform should be accessible across multiple devices and have a responsive and intuitive design, that requires fewer resources.
- Live classes: The platform should provide the ability for teachers to conduct live classes, where students can participate in real time.
- Interactive whiteboard: The platform should include an interactive whiteboard, which allows teachers to present content, and students to engage with it in real time.
- Two-way interactions: The platform should provide the ability for teachers and students to interact with each other, through features such as attendance, ‘raise hand’, screen sharing, and more.
- Chat and group chat: The platform should include a chat feature, where students and teachers can communicate with each other, and a group chat feature, where students can collaborate and work together.
- Recording: The platform should have the ability to record classes, which can be used for later viewing or revision.
- Assignments and tasks: The platform should include a feature for teachers to create and assign tasks and exercises, which students can complete and submit.
- Assessment: The platform should provide the ability for teachers to conduct mock tests, quizzes, and exams, to assess student progress.
- Gamification: The platform should include features such as badges, scores, leaderboards, and analytics, to make learning fun and to engage.
- AI-enabled proctored exams: The platform should provide an AI-enabled proctored exam feature, that enables secure virtual exams, with the ability to detect electronic devices, multiple people in the student area, and human sounds in the background.
- Rich UI/UX experience: The platform should have a user-friendly and intuitive design, with features such as AR/VR for a more engaging experience.
- Privacy and security: The platform should be compliant with various standards & compliances like the PCI, to ensure that user data is secure and protected.
In conclusion, EdTech platforms are revolutionizing the way education is delivered. Designing the systems & platforms with creativity & usage of the best technologies will be the key to shaping the future of education.