What’s New in SAP Analytics Cloud Release 2023.01
SAP Analytics Cloud brings together analytics and planning with unique integration to SAP applications and seamless access to heterogenous data sources. It helps everyone in your organization make decisions without doubt with trusted insights and integrated plans.
This blog post introduces the features of the SAP Analytics Cloud 2023.01 release available for SAP Analytics Cloud FastTrack customers. For SAP Analytics Cloud Quarterly Release Cycle (QRC) customers, this release and its features will be available as part of the QRC Q1 2023 release.
System Administration and Technical Requirements
Although not required, you may upgrade to the latest SAP Analytics Cloud agent version 1.0.369 to take advantage of all data acquisition types.
The agent’s minimum version remains at 1.0.75, with the following exceptions:
Version 1.0.99 for SAP ERP/SQL Database
Version 1.0.365 for SAP universe (UNX)
Version 1.0.353 for SAP Business Warehouse (BW)
Version 1.0.235 for SAP HANA View
Version 1.0.248 for File Server
For more information, see System Requirements and Technical Prerequisites.
- Dashboard & Story Design
- Data Exploration
- Data Integration
- Enterprise Planning
- Mobile Analytics
Dashboard & Story Design
Running Total Calculations – SUM, Average, Max, Min, Count
Running Total (Sum, Average, Min, Max, Count) Formula is added in the calculation and can be used for all tables and charts in a story. A Running total is the summation of a sequence of numbers which is updated each time a new number is added to the sequence, by adding the value of the new number to the previous running total, and is useful for tracking cumulative or running key KPIs.
This feature is only available in the optimized story experience and is supported for the following data models: Acquired, BI Dataset, HANA Live, New Model Type (Account Dimensions).
For more details, check out this blog post by Ashok Rajashekar
Optimized Story Experience Feature Update
In this wave, we’ve continued to close feature gaps with the Optimized Story Experience as the following are now supported:
- Phase two forecast layout (i.e., Versions, Cut-over Data Type and FIND formula in Calculation Input Controls)
- Scheduling and publishing
We are also closing gaps with the Optimized Design Experience, as the following are now support:
- Chart Scaling
- Calculation Input Control – Static
In the new stack, we are introducing the following new features:
- Apply Selections Button for Multi-Selection Filters
- New Model Type (UAM/UMM) Support with Geo Visualizations
- Link on Matching Hierarchies (Filter Across Model)
More details on each new feature below.
For more details on Optimized Story Experience, check out this blog post by Anna Burkhardt .
Apply Selection Option for Multi-Selection Filters
In multi-selection filters, there is a new “Apply Selections” button to improve the usability of filters, whether it is flat or hierarchical.
- Visualizations will not update after every individual change in the filter, which especially benefits users who want to make a large number of changes
- Visualizations will only update after the “Apply Selections” button is pressed. The button can be enabled through the “Show/Hide” option.
- It is available for story, page and local filters
- It is available by default for newly created filters or it can be enabled on a per filter basis for existing filters in a story
Please note that this is not supported for Table local filters and the “Apply Selections” button does not apply to other types of input controls, including dynamic filters, range and single-selection.
New Model Type Support with Geo Visualizations
Geo Visualizations are now supported with the New Model Type (Universal Account Model/Universal Measure Model):
- Geo enrichment of public and private dimensions are enabled for the New Model Type with Latitude and Longitude
- UAM and UMM can now be consumed within a geo layer for Bubble and Heatmap
- There is a new reset button in the Builder Panel to allow users to remove a dimension or account for Bubble Color
- Account information will only display in tooltips if a single measure is specified for Bubble Color or Bubble Size
Link on Matching Hierarchies (Filter Across Model)
SAP BW Live data models can now support link on matching hierarchies, which unblocks migration to ODE/OVM. In addition, there are performance enhancements when filtering across models:
- Optimized stories will automatically treat flat presentation as a matching hierarchy between two parent-child hierarchy links, which improves performance for direct filters
- The default link is now automatically set to flat presentation, which enables server-side filtering across models and improves performance for indirect filters (for models that support server-side filtering across models)
- There is a UI enhancement for displaying information in the tooltip, including the ability to use a dropdown menu to specify the default link
Data Analyzer – New User Experience with Functional Updates
Users can now use a new data analyzer that offers functional and usability-specific enhancements. The previous data analyzer has been renamed to classic data analyzer (classic insights) and can still be accessed from the file repository. Users can manually existing classic insights to new insights by opening them in the new data analyzer (using the Open Data Analyzer menu entry).
Here is a list of the functional and usability-specific enhancements of the new data analyzer:
- Table Enhancements:
- Adaptive table layout
- ID and description for dimensions presented in two columns
- Freeze column headers (default)
- Removed default row limit
- Lazy loading when scrolling
- Drag and drop within a table
- Filter Enhancements:
- One-level filters (widget filter has been removed)
- Dynamic filters with default values from SAP BW query are displayed in the filter line
- Updates of Filter Dialog for Dimension Members:
- Copy and paste filter values from clipboard
- Display attributes and search by attributes
- Checkbox to select “All” members
- Harmonized value help experience for filter dialog and variable prompts
- Context Menu Enhancements:
- Filter by Member option to open the value help dialog
- Filter Members option (works as a Cartesian filter)
- Freeze Header option to freeze column and row table headers
- Builder Panel Enhancements:
- Independent arrangement of totals and hierarchy nodes
- Builder Panel Enhancements – Drag and Drop:
- For SAP HANA live data sources: customizing measure order
- Selecting display attributes from the available objects list
- Customizing the order of display attributes
- SAP BW Queries with Two Structures – Drag and Drop:
- Selecting members of the second structure from the available objects list
- Customizing the member order
- Integration with Story:
- You can open data analyzer from a table visualization in optimized story
- Migration of Insights:
- You can manually switch insights from classic data analyzer to new data analyzer insights
For additional information, check out this blog post by Bettina Denonville
PUSH Export Legacy
The Data Management space is currently being redesigned to offer a visual interface to manage the Data Export Service subscriptions directly within SAP Analytics Cloud. To prepare for these upcoming changes, we’ve streamlined the display of data export options. By default, only the file and the SAP BPC option are now available. To be able to push data to SAP S4/HANA, SAP Business Integrated Planning, SAP BW and SAP BW4/HANA using OData services, users need to enable the Enable Legacy Export option first.
Please note that as a best practice, we recommend using the Data Export Service whenever possible to export data due to superior performance and delta support.
Delta Load UI
The Data Management space has been enhanced with a new API Subscriptions tab to provide a visual user interface to the Data Export Service. This gives users the ability to visualize and manage all model subscriptions with detailed views of subscription chains including pop-ups with extended information. Users can create, delete, and examine subscriptions for a model with selections and filters, and view recent subscription activity in chronological order through the access timeline.
Add support for DWC Analytic Model consumption
SAP Data Warehouse Cloud Analytic Models are now supported in stories created using the Optimized Design Experience. With a live connection to SAP Data Warehouse Cloud, users can now access Analytic Models along with Analytical Datasets and Perspectives via the model selection dialog in SAP Analytics Cloud. The model selection dialog has also been enhanced to allow browsing for both live connections and models directly within the dialog. Artefacts need to be enabled in SAP Data Warehouse Cloud as exposed for consumption.
SQL Server 2019 and PostgreSQL 10-13 Support
The following SQL Server databases are now supported by import data connections: Microsoft SQL Server 2019, PostgreSQL 10, PostgreSQL 11, PostgreSQL 12, PostgreSQL 13.
SAP Analytics Cloud Consumption of Concur OAuth APIs
New Concur connections can now be created with a new authentication workflow. We have added OAuth 2.0 support for SAP Concur for imported and acquired connections. This update comes with new UI and new token generation steps.
Hourly CSV Export
CSV exports can now be scheduled with an hourly cadence.
Data Actions: Show Automappings for Cross Model Copy
The cross-model copy step of a data action now shows the auto-generated member mapping rules. This provides more visibility to mappings generated in the backend and enables users to better understand what is going on during data action execution. To not affect performance negatively, the mappings are only loaded if the Auto-Generated Rules panel is expanded. The first 100 auto-generated rules are shown with the possibility to load as many further batches of 100 mappings as the user wants.
Data Actions: Tracing Capability (Debugging)
With the new debugging tool of data action tracing, users can set trace points in a data action, execute the data action, and check the intermediate results at trace points, as well as data changes between trace points, in a story-like table layout. Tracing is applicable to all entities inside data actions and provides sophisticated debugging for advanced formulas. It gives insights into intermediate calculations of a script line by line, and there is an ability to debug based on condition in FOREACH / FOR loops (i.e., specific member, specific iteration, etc).
Note that such an execution doesn’t pause at these trace points or make actual changes on the target version. Based on insights from tracing, users can edit and refine data action to fix its issues so that it can work as desired.
For more details, check out this blog post by Scott Godfree .
Multi Actions/Predictive: Save Forecast Values for Past Periods
The option “Save Forecast Values for Past Periods” is now available in Multi Action Forecast step. Predictive users can generate the past forecast when using the predictive node in the multi action to evaluate the quality of predictive models directly in a story.
Forecast Layout: ODM (Scope2): support calculation input control
For stories in optimized design experience, you can now create a dynamic forecast layout using calculation input controls.
- Support Calculation Input Control for Version in Forecast Layout
- Member and Formula
- Support Calculation Input Control for Cut-over date in Forecast Layout
- Range – Dynamic(System/Current Date)
- Range – Fixed
- Member and Formula
Table commenting for Single Column Dimensions
Users can now add data point comments and dimension comments to tables with single column dimensions in their axes or filters. Note that such tables are built on analytic models.
SAP Analytics Cloud Mobile Android App Tencent Store Availability
The SAP Analytics Cloud Android mobile application is now available to download from the Tencent Appstore.
This blog post only provides a high-level overview of the latest features and enhancements of SAP Analytics Cloud. You can find more details on these features in your In-App Help Guide for FastTrack customers and see this SAP Knowledge Base Article if you’d like to learn more about FastTrack and Quarterly Release Cycle releases.
If you have any questions, you can comment below or post a question to our SAP Analytics Cloud Questions & Answers forum. Visit our SAP Analytics Cloud Community pages to find more product information, best practices, and more. And check out our SAP Road Map Explorer to see more upcoming features of SAP Analytics Cloud.
This is a great way to start the 2023 release cycle of SAP Analytics Cloud! One packed release with very useful features!
Great release indeed! Looking forward to using some of the features in Q1 QRC!
great Blog! One question regarding the Geo enrichtment... am I right that you now can create a Geo Dimension without the need of uploading a file and chose it during model creation?
As far as I know, It is still not possible to create a new model out of a file, right? So, I assume, the approach here is totally different to the classic account model.
Hi Martin, that is correct, you can now create a Geo Dimension without uploading a file first. One can define the structure of the model with the properties for geo enrichment (coordinates) and then upload/add the master data. The structure is the first step defined that sets the base for the model that will hold the geographical information.
I don't see the API Subscription tab? Is there something I need to do to enable it?
Hi Jonathan Chai , these updates are available for customers on the FastTrack release schedule. For customers on the quarterly release cycle (QRC), these updates are part of the Q1 2023 QRC and will be deployed Feb 17-19.
I can see changes are deployed to our SAC tenant now for Q1 2023. I have question regarding PUSH Export Legacy. I am not able to see option to enable Export Legacy in Model preference. Am I missing something here?
Found it. Within Export job, need to click on Information icon and it will show Enable Legacy option.
I really liked your summary blog post, thank you for that!
You mentioned that the SAP Analytics Cloud Mobile Android App should be available in the Tencent App Store. However, I am unable to find it there. I am also unable to find any information about SAP Analytics Cloud Mobile Android App in the Tencent Store besides this blog post.
Do you have any hints?
Hi Katja Ortmann ,
I've checked in on this. The app is currently under review with the Tencent Store. I will keep you updated once the app has been deployed.
Hi Katja Ortmann ,
Happy to let you know the app is now on the Tencent store!