SAP S/4HANA Cloud, Public Edition Product Update Series H2 2022: Sustainability
Welcome everyone to my blog post. This post will focus on key innovations with the SAP S/4HANA Cloud, public edition Product Update Series H2 2022 with the Sustainability LoB. I will be covering the latest and greatest from SAP Sustainability Control Tower and SAP Product Footprint Management. For the last update, have a look at my previous blog post “Sustainability with SAP S/4HANA Cloud 2208“.
Table of Contents
This blog post covers the following topics:
- “Sustainability metrics catalog” App for an Overview of the Available and Configured Sustainability Metrics
- Release of Public APIs to Manage Master Data and Business Activity Data
- New Emission Factors Mapping Experience
As always, I will start the blog post with an overview of SAP Cloud for Sustainable Enterprises.
SAP Cloud for Sustainable Enterprises is a comprehensive cloud offer that integrates data and process to manage carbon footprint, reduce material waste, and achieve social sustainability. Supported with the power and expertise of a global ecosystem.
SAP Cloud for Sustainable Enterprises brings together data and business process solutions to address:
SAP Sustainability Control Tower, as part of “Holistic Steering and Reporting”, allows user to drive holistic steering by setting targets, monitor progress and gain actionable insights from dependable sustainability data. This in-turn gives trust by establishing robust and auditable Environmental, Social, and Governance (ESG) reporting. It also facilitates assessing and improving performance regarding sustainability matters:
- For strategic performance management and related reporting.
- Environmental, Social, and Governance (ESG), and financial / operational data integrated for a holistic view.
- Facilitate the journey towards having the right data in the right place.
In my previous blog post, I introduced the product. You can read more details in my blog post “Introducing SAP Sustainability Control Tower”
“Sustainability Metrics Catalog” App for an Overview of the Available and Configured Sustainability Metrics
The “Sustainability Metrics Catalog” app is at the heart of the control tower that gives transparency on the data metrics on the data available in the database. It also provides insights on the predefined metrics. It is also possible to extend the scope of pre-defined metrics according to regulatory requirements, fit to SAP data sources and common customer requirements. This allows customers to create foundation for their voluntary ESG Reporting but also enables to serve key regulatory requirements like EU Taxonomy, TCFD, CSRD, SEC and future regulations.
The calculation and process engine (CPE) allows to perform calculations and to execute processes and workflows in sequence. SAP has also provided the customers with pre-shipped SAP best practices template which can either be used as it is or adapted to their needs. Below is the screenshot of such a template “Period closing process”.
Data can be sourced for use, either by:
- Initiating a manual file upload through a data provider interface (DPI)
- Establishing direct integration to a data source system (such as SAP S/4HANA, private edition or SAP S/4HANA Cloud, public edition)
Once the data sourcing is complete, user may see the sustainability metrics that have data sourced, recorded, and uploaded. The user can also perform basic configuration for sustainability metrics. For more information on data sourcing, refer to SAP Help “Uploading Data to Sustainability Metrics“
- Gain a quick understanding of which sustainability metrics are available in the system
- Establish an entry point for configuring sustainability metrics and for sourcing data
- Source data from data provider interface or from other systems
SAP Product Footprint Management, part of “Zero Emissions with Climate Change Solutions”, enables you to calculate product footprints periodically and at scale along the entire product lifecycle. You can extract business data (such as master data and material movements information) from your SAP S/4HANA or SAP S/4HANA Cloud systems and associate these to your emission factors. You can then run a mass calculation to generate footprints for your products.
SAP Product Footprint Management solution comes equipped with apps to import emission factors as these serve as an integral part for making the right calculations for evaluating the environmental impact.
The Import Emission Factors app was introduced last year, see the blog post “Product Deep Dive: Emission Factors Management in SAP Product Footprint Management” for more details. With the latest update, we have introduced a new user experience providing possibility to search and view all imported emission factor datasets and navigate through the available data in the system. The screenshot below illustrates the concept of View Dataset.
Import Emission Factors App – View Dataset
Refer the following blog post for more details “Improved Import Emission Factors App“.
For smooth calculation of product footprints, it is essential to ma the right emission factors from the imported dataset to the purchased products. This process can be complex and is now simplified by introducing a single, unified mapping table called “Map Purchased Products with Emission Factors”. This new template allows the user to configure all mappings. Below is the screenshot of the table.
Map Purchased Products with Emission Factors
- Prefilled template with combinations of business data that was imported and scoped in the Calculation Template
- User can assign emission factors package and the respective source ids
- Empty fields are also supported where information is not available
- Addiional support of more date formats other than ISO format.
For more details, refer to the blog post “New Emission Factors Mapping Experience” and “SAP Product Footprint Management: New Experience with Mappings”
More Resources on Sustainability
For more information on SAP for Sustainability and our 3 pillars of Zero Emissions with Climate Action, Zero Waste with Circular Economy and Zero Inequality with Social Responsibility check out the following links:
- Holistic Steering and Reporting
- Climate Action
- Circular Economy
- Social Responsibility
- SAP and our Responsibility by Thomas Saueressig
- Chasing Zero | Video
- My previous blog post covering sustainability
For more information on SAP S/4HANA Cloud, check out the following links:
- SAP S/4HANA Cloud release info here
- Sven Denecken’s SAP S/4HANA Cloud 2208 Release Blog Post
- Latest SAP S/4HANA Cloud Release Blogs here and previous release highlights here
- Product videos on our SAP S/4HANA Cloud and SAP S/4HANA YouTube playlist
- SAP S/4HANA PSCC Digital Enablement Wheel here
- Early Release Webinar Series here
- Inside SAP S/4HANA Podcast here
- Best practices for SAP S/4HANA Cloud here
- SAP S/4HANA Cloud Community: here
- Feature Scope Description here
- What’s New here
- Help Portal Product Page here
- Implementation Portal here