Recap of the SAP Community Call for ALM on November 16, 2022
In this blog, I’d like to recap the SAP Community Call for ALM from November 16, 2022. You will find a summary of the topics as well as a collection of useful links. I will also provide a summary of the Q&A topics.
The structure of this blog post follows the order of the webcast agenda. Let’s get started!
News from the SAP Community: Blog highlights
- SAP Best Practices process content for SAP S/4HANA Cloud, private edition in SAP Cloud ALM by Wulff-Heinrich Knapp
- Implementation and Operation of SAP Ariba with SAP Cloud ALM by Daniel Enderli
- Use SAP Cloud Application Lifecycle Management (CALM) System to Monitor Your SAP S/4HANA Cloud 3-System Landscape Systems – Part 1: Setup by George Yu
News from SAP Product Support: Answers in the SAP Community
SAP Product Support uses the SAP Community to share problem-solving tips & tricks in the “Answers” section. A special user named “SAPSUPPORT” is used for posting.
Find out more in the following blog and KBA:
- SAP Community Blog: Maximizing the Power of SAP Community at Product Support
- KBA 2973358 – SAP Community: Preferred Support Channel for How-To Questions
SAP Solution Manager: ALM Strategy
Tim Steuer provided an overview of SAP’s ALM strategy. Here are the key takeaways:
- SAP Solution Manager follows the maintenance strategy of the SAP Business Suite
- Extended maintenance for process management, test suite, change & release management and ITSM in SAP Solution Manager 7.2 is automatically included in the optional extended maintenance for the SAP Business Suite 7
- SAP Solution Manager 7.2 is supported beyond 2030 – in customer-specific maintenance*
- There are no plans for further releases after SAP Solution Manager 7.2
- SAP Cloud ALM and SAP Focused Run are not dependent on the SAP Business Suite allowing mainstream maintenance beyond 2030. SAP plans no further on-premise product in the ALM portfolio.
SAP Cloud ALM is designed to support ALM for the Intelligent, Sustainable Enterprise, including SAP S/4HANA (all deployments).
SAP Cloud ALM is attractive for SAP Solution Manager customers:
cost of operation and maintenance, functionality, ease of use and adoption, foundational support for today’s customer landscape
(SAP Business Suite, SAP BW, SAP PI/PO), transition support.
SAP Cloud ALM is the next generation ALM platform for SAP customers. SAP Cloud ALM is an independent new product line.
SAP recommends SAP Cloud ALM as go-to platform for ALM.
SAP Focused Run addresses SAP-centric service providers and hybrid customers with advanced needs and/or significant on-premise footprint.
It can be used complementary to SAP Cloud ALM.
SAP Cloud ALM: New Best Practice Content available
SAP Cloud ALM provides access to Best Practice and Reference Processes to accelerate your SAP public cloud, private cloud, or hybrid project.
SAP Best Practices for SAP S/4HANA Cloud, private edition, has been added to the rich content offer lately.
- localizations for 43 countries
- latest updates to 557 localized solution processes and respective process flows
- updates to test scripts and process diagrams
- latest updates of additional accelerators.
Please check out the following blog here and request your own SAP Cloud ALM tenant here.
As usual, Tim Steuer asked the participants some questions using Mentimeter. The questions this month focused on SAP Community, SAP Cloud ALM for Operations and Tricentis Test Automation with SAP Cloud ALM.
Upcoming Events: What’s going on?
- Remote Usability Testing: Topic 20 – Using Tag and Cross-Search (Nov 29- Dec 1) (access here)
- SAP Cloud ALM What’s New Quarterly Update: November 30 & December 1 (register)
- What’ New in SAP Focused Run 4.0 SP00: December 6 (register here)
- SAP Community Call for SAP Cloud ALM Experts: December 7 (register here)
- DSAG ALM Thementage St. Leon-Rot: January 24 & 25 (coming soon)
Need more ALM news? Join our newsletter!
Register here for our new monthly ALM newsletter to get the latest ALM information delivered directly to your inbox!
Q&A: You ask, we answer
Here we provide some questions and answers which came up during the webinar.
Q: Is there a transition path for a move from solution manager 7.2 to Cloud ALM? will all areas of Solution Manager be covered?
A: SAP plans to offer tools, methodologies and services for customers who plan to transition. Tools for taking over selected data are also in evaluation.
Q: Does Solution Manager extended maintenance include Focused Build?
A: The extended maintenance of SAP Solution Manager 7.2 includes Focused Build and Focused Insights as well.
Q: When a customer decides going for CloudALM to manage his on-premise solution – how would a typical setup look like from an architecture perspective? CALM <-> SAP Cloud Connector <-> on-prem Solution
A: On-premise ABAP systems are connected using ST-PI https://support.sap.com/en/alm/sap-cloud-alm/operations/expert-portal/setup-managed-services/setup-abap-740.html
Q: “If customer is running S/4HANA on-premise edition in their own datacenter and hadn’t implemented SolMan Process Management module as yet. What would be the recommendation to set it up on SolMan or Cloud ALM?
Customer is looking to implement full suite, Process Management, Test Suite, CHARM, Custom Code management, etc.?”
A: It is recommended to first look at SAP Cloud ALM to see if it currently meets your priority ALM requirements. You can also use Cay Rademann’s blog series for guidance for your SAP S/4HANA on-premise environment.
Wrap-Up: Let us know what you think!
You can find the recording of the ALM Community Call from November 16 here.
The presentation of the call can be downloaded here.
Any questions or comments? Let us know in the comment section below!