User Experience Insights
RISE With SAP : FAQ’s and Myths
ONE Contract and ONE offer for business was introduced by SAP in the beginning of the year 2021 and marketed with the name “RISE with SAP”. A bundle that consists of SAP S/4HANA Cloud Suite, SAP Business Technology Platform Consumption, SAP Business Network Starter Pack and SAP Business Process Intelligence.
RISE with SAP – many of SAP customers have already gone live on RISE with SAP contract and many of them will soon. Though SAP has documented it well, there are many open question and Myths about RISE with SAP concept around for others who is looking for Rise with SAP as their next SAP contract.
Sharing details of few FAQ’s and user experience insights.
- What’s there in the RISE with SAP package
Package comprises of Tools, Software, Services and Infrastructure Platform
- Tools like – Business Process Intelligence, Custom code analyzer , SAP readiness check etc
- Software Like S/4 HANA, SAP BTP etc
- Service – Years of maintenance service as per the contract
- Platform – Infrastructure on Cloud of your Choice
This all includes in one package, one offer and one contract
- What is the benefit of getting every thing under one Umbrella as Rise With SAP
With One package you simply get one neck to hold on for anything whether it is Network and security ,Infrastructure, operating system, database or application which makes the operations easy.
With this, you also get the benefit of services with defined SLA’s, helping hand for managing operations and issue management.
Off course the TCO benefits – case by case and depending upon your requirement and Project size.
- What are the different deployment models are available
- Public cloud – S/4 HANA as SaaS deployment.
- Private Cloud – S/4 HANA as PaS deployment.
- What is typical system landscape for S/4 HANA in Rise with SAP
Depending upon the use case – SAP is offering two system landscape and three system landscape as a standard
Two System :- Development and Production
Three System :- Development, Quality and Production
However, depending upon the use case – Rise contract can be modified for 4 , 5 or 6 … system landscape with some additional cost. You may choose to have all these systems as part of your transport(change route) or you may opt to keep them out of transport path.
Along with S/4 system, you also get below peripherals for different purpose.
- SAP Web Dispatcher
- SAP Fiori embedded
- SAP HANA runtime
- SAP Cloud Connector (optional, on customer request)
- Enterprise Support
You also get network support as if you need to connect some other third party service providers with your S/4 system – for example SMTP and SMS gateway provider etc..
- Who decides the cloud platform service provider
Its you as end customer have total control on choosing your favorite cloud platform provider.
So far you have an options of Google Cloud, Azure, AWS and Alibaba. IBM cloud will also be the part of Cloud Infrastructure Providers soon.
- What are the high level factor that end customer should consider before deciding between public or private cloud deployment
Private Cloud :-
If you as end customer wish
- To move to cloud at your own pace by keeping prior investment including ECC customizations, configurations, and partner add-ons
- To get Software, support , technical managed services from single point of contact with defined SLA
- To consume S/4 HANA system with standard solution but also wants to do customization as per your business requirement
Public Cloud :-
If you as end customer wish
- To have a complete, modern, native SaaS ERP solution with the full benefits of public cloud and reimagine business processes and take advantage of standardized best practices
- To have a clean Cloud ERP solution without converting legacy ERP processes and configurations.
- To have a comparatively lowest TCO
- How do you define technical managed services in RISE with SAP comparatively with other Any-Premises and benefits in RISE With SAP.
- What’s there for current ECC and S/4 on-Premises customers in RISE with SAP
- What is the scope of BASIS/IaaS services?
SAP provide a RACI standard services, but there is still a lot of technical work to be required by customer/partner which includes Sizing, BASIS, ABAP and Fiori Developers, and Security.
Services provided by Hyperscaler platform services are outside the scope of SAP Managed services scope.
BASIS Services are part of technical managed services and approx. 80% of SAP BASIS task is done by RISE with SAP team.
Remaining 20% includes below
- Transport import / Roles and Authorization / RFC maintenance and system connections / SMTP setup / SICF services maintenance etc.
Major task of BASIS consultant(from partner or customer side) is to communicate and manage the technical services by raising service request to SAP.
For example :- if you are planning a client copy or add-on installation or application upgrade – BASIS consultant to raise a service request and rest of the activity will be managed by SAP.
The detailed Roles and Responsibility of different task is available at Link
- How the Service Resiliency is ensured under RISE with SAP
Solution is designed in such a way that there are no single point of failure at any layer viz network/application and Database and the high availability of 99.7% in production system is guaranteed
All other required infrastructure viz. network/storage/hypervisor have got redundancy.
Applications are provisioned on virtual machines that provides high level of redundancy
- What is the backup policy in RISE with SAP.
- What is Disaster recovery and High availability plan for Databases
|Short Distance DR (Metro DR)||Long Distance DR (Regional DR)|
|Database: SAP HANA||Single Node||RTO=12hrs; RPO=30mins|
|: RTO=12hrs; RPO=30mins|
|Multi Node :|
|Database: Sybase ASE||RTO=12hrs; RPO=30mins||RTO=12hrs; RPO=30mins|
However, if Customer has purchased the optional Disaster Recovery services for RISE with S/4HANA Cloud, private edition, SAP ERP, private cloud edition, or S/4HANA Cloud, extended edition, the RTO is 12 hours and RPO is 30 minutes
for Long Distance DR and for Short Distance DR, the RTO is 12 hours and the RPO is 0 minutes. . If Customer has purchased the optional SAP S/4HANA Cloud, 4 hour recovery time objective, private edition or SAP ERP, 4 hour recovery time objective, private cloud edition, the RTO is 4 hours (instead of 12 hours) and the RPO remains unchanged as indicated above Regular DR Testing. SAP offers one annual DR failover-test as part of the DR Services to test the DR Services.
SAP ensure to re-perform any DR recovery tests that fail to achieve the applicable standards and report any failures to Customer.
For more details Refer to this Link
- Who owns the responsibility of SSL certificate for URL’s.
There are two options
Option 1 :- Customer Owned Domain : Provide private key, signed cert.
If you Choose Customer owned domain then you need to provision and provide SSL certificates to SAP and later renewal responsibility of it goes to customer.
Option 2 :- SAP Provided Domain : hec.ondemand.com is the Domain
Frontend/backend certificates will be taken care by sap. All you have to do is Mention the Domain name. and your URL looks like below
Myths about cloud ERP and RISE with SAP
#1 ERP in cloud as product as a service or software as service makes it difficult to adapt to business need and its difficult to manage compare to on-premises
This is really just a myth as with Cloud you get multiple benefits like
- Stability for a public interface between platform and solutions on top, ensuring upgrades without hiccups
- An enterprise-ready environment for Cloud development, including a new ABAP language version and the ABAP RESTful Application Programming Model (RAP)
- Simple integration with plug-and-play type of BTP services
- Software maintenance is a responsibility of SAP managed services (in RISE with SAP)
- No worries about hardware maintenance, planning and scalability is on the fly in cloud with out really long waiting period
- In case if you business requirements are not met in standard package, you are open to make customization and get the business running as per need(possible in RISE with SAP private cloud)
#2 Its’ always a choice between On-Premises or a Cloud
Well up to certain extend, yes, its a choice between On-Prem and cloud but that’s just not it as considering new technologies and deployment strategies available today, you have broader set of options to choose from when deploying next generation ERP solutions. And this is all the way from leveraging Infrastructure as a Service – like hyperscalers to “get rid of on-premises very owned huge data centers” – to all as Software as a Service, which is by far the highest degree of standardization one can leverage. So its not always choice between On-Premises or a Cloud.
Have covered few FAQ’s but for sure there are many unanswered question that you may have, please write it in comments and will try to update the same in next blog.
Your suggestion and inputs are most welcome, please hit the comment section if you have any!!!
To provide some perspective to readers, in saying “many of SAP customers have already gone live on RISE with SAP”, can you quantify how many?
Thanks for your question. Though I do have approx. number as how many have gone live on RISE with SAP - I may not answer it at this platform. Yes, the numbers are promising that's for sure.
SAP have quoted some big RISE with SAP customers success stories, you may refer it at below link which would give some idea
As per you Post After RISE with SAP basis Guys what is the scope ??
Thanks for your question. This is already answered in FAQ above.
Well understood, what you want to ask 🙂 🙂 Here you go -
RISE with SAP comprises of Technical managed service package as well but that doesn't mean they have automated all the processes as you raise a SR and it will be automatically solved - Nope, that's a Myth. May be few of them are automated but for others there is person sitting who will be interacting with customer and performing the activity.
Also, If you are at partner or customer BASIS consultant - you may get involved in to SIZING, architecting the solution, planning and positioning of technical services.
You may also be responsible for works like lift and shift of your "on-prem iron" to RISE and that's you call it a Migration project.
You may also be responsible for planning and portioning of conversion of your ERP on non-sap DB to S/4 hana along with DMO
yes, once the project is landed in RISE with SAP and gone live - up to 80% BASIS tasks are managed by SAP and your are left with some task for example :- Transport imports/User, roles and Authorization, L0 level of monitoring etc.
I am customer end , Means After Rise with SAP no scope of basis? need to learn new thing please advise?
Well, learning new things is always beneficial for personal and professional growth for sure.
Keep learning !!!
After Rise with SAP no scope of basis? --> Certainly not, still learning new things will help moving a step ahead. 🙂 🙂
If BASIS Consultant of the client/implementation partner wants to take up a task which is not in his/her scope, so that they are able to quickly support unplanned activities related to INFRA, how is it handled in RISE license? What flexibility if offers in this aspect, or one has to always adhere and plan as per SAP RISE SLAs and there is no scope for unplanned requests
Thanks for your question. The RACI matrix is provided by SAP for the scope item along with its SLA.
Any activity which is not expected to perform by customer/partner BASIS consultant can be brought to notice to SAP. Customer/partner BASIS consultant can provide the requirement in the service request and if required can get in to the call with SAP team on request. If this is a planned activity and not impacting business (Production) it will follow the SLA.
For the unplanned activity and Infra/OS/Network/App/DB issue's identified by customer/partner BASIS consultant which is impacting the BAU - One can raise very high OSS for RISE with SAP team and it will be resolved at the earliest.
Thank you for this helpful notes.
I would like to understand how to setup the SFTP process in "Rise with SAP - Private cloud" like Bank integration with and without BTP - SAP cloud connector.