Versioning of BPMN-diagrams in SAP Solution Manager 7.2 – Process Management
With SAP Solution Manager 7.2 SP15 a new feature is available to generate version documents for diagrams in Process Management.
This feature allows you to cover 3 main use cases:
- Use Case: Display history of diagrams
- Use Case: Display/restore different versions of diagrams
- Use Case: Share diagrams with public audiences (Non-SAP user)
In this blog I like to introduce this feature to you and how you can apply them by yourself.
If you are working in a diagram the new feature allows you to use the “Save as” option. Here you can decide to save your diagram as .png, .bpmn or as both. In the following use case description you can decide which format makes most sense to you.
This files a stored as a kind of document objects which are attached to the diagram. With that you can make use of the common document management capabilities, like history, versioning and sharing.
We suggest to create a document type for this files in order to be more flexible in search and filtering.
In my example I have create a document type “Document Version”.
Please follow this instruction to use your own document type for the future files.
With that you are ready to use the function.
In our example you can see a full roundtrip of the feature where all above mentioned use cases are covered.
1. Diagram save as .png and .bpmn
2. Local download option of diagram pictures
3. Display history information of diagram
4. Local download of previous diagram version
5. Compare diagram versions
6. Download diagram as .bpmn file
7. Restore previous version of a diagram
8. Share a public link to the diagram
Note: As mentioned this feature works complete in the same way as you know it for documents in SAP Solution Manager 7.2 – Process Management.
As you can see the feature can be simple apply and used by you. It helps you to cover most of the common use cases by utilizing common document management features
What is your opinion about this feature. Do you like it? Do you see other use cases?