SAP Activate & WRICEF for SAP CPQ
SAP CPQ is now under the umbrella of S/4HANA, so Implementation Partners/Customers need to know and how to follow SAP Activate Methodology for Implementation.
This blog will provide you with an overview of SAP Activate and WRICEF. Several CPQ clients were asked about the specific subject/questions during the project assessment. So I decided to share my experience while also assisting Partners/customers in learning more about it.
SAP Activate is the consumption experience first introduced for SAP S/4HANA. It combines SAP Best Practices, methodology, and guided configuration delivered with a reference landscape. It enables customers to start fast, build smart, and run simple, while continuously innovating with SAP S/4HANA in the cloud and all other environments. Use the descriptor “consumption experience” when communicating about the SAP Activate consumption experience.
There are six stages in SAP Activate methodology which are Discover, Prepare, Explore, Realize, Deploy, and Run.
Each phase guides users through the complexities of S/4HANA implementation and outlines the processes, tools, and Best Practices required to achieve a smooth transformation.
Once you have complete requirement from customer during the Discover Phase, you will map the relevant information to the project implementation Plan
Workflow, Reports, Interface, Conversions, Enhancements, & Forms (WRICEF) is a component development service which involves designing and developing business solutions that are realized as gaps during the business blueprint phase of a project. Typically WRICEF services help in achieving customer business requirements by enhancing a standard process (by developing the individual components) in case of gaps, or, if required, by creating new component developments or by modifying the standard components and integrating them to meet business objectives.
SAP ACTIVATE METHODOLOGY
SAP Activate Methodology is a modular and agile framework helps project teams with detailed steps need to be delivered in each phase through the project by providing accelerators which makes work easier to accomplish task of a deliverable and workstreams which span across various phases.
Short video of SAP Activate Minute
WRICEF in SAP ACTIVATE
Finger pointing to what I consider critical.
Accelerator S4H_552 How to Approach Fit-to-Standard Analysis and Design – Cloud.pptx still refers to the WRICEF List
On slide 10 we have the link to the ancient file WRICEF Inventory Template .
A custom requirement can be classified as WRICEF. Select WRICEF in the Requirement Classification field next to this field to filter your requirements. You can select one or several of the following WRICEF Sub-Classification parameters:
List of acronyms/common names used during Project Implementation
- Project type in multi-project management. A build project is a subproject of a main project. Build projects are used to coordinate the development tasks.
- Special wave in a main project, that is used for testing developments that have been implemented in the waves of the build projects assigned to the main project.
- Change document created during the test phase of a project. Defects are used to notify developers of errors that have been identified during testing. The developer responsible can correct the error using a transport request.
Defect correction Small change that corrects an error. A defect correction is implemented in the current sprint. Fit
- Work package that defines what needs to be done to customize or configure of a component that otherwise does not need to be changed.
- Functional part of a solution that is missing and should be included into the SAP standard and is therefore handed over to SAP development. A gap might be detected during a discovery workshop or during the scoping process of a work package.
- General change
- Change that doesn’t use a transport request. For example, a new work flow, a change in third-party software or administration changes.
- Project type in multi-project management. A main project is the project that is used to coordinate the subordinate build projects. It contains also cross-wave for testing results of the waves of the build projects.
- A maintenance project is a project that is used for correcting errors. It has only a single wave with a single sprint.
- Milestones are used to mark specific dates in a project plan. Milestones can be,for example, the start and end date of the project, a need for an external review, or input and budget checks. In many instances, milestones do not impact the project duration. Instead, they focus on major progress points that must be reached to achieve success. Therefore, a milestone has a clearly defined due date.
Normal change Change that uses a transport request. Quality gate or q-gate Special milestone in a software build project. A quality gate is scheduled during the hand-over from one project phase or wave to the next. All project stakeholders review the deliverables of the previous phase or wave and decide collaboratively whether the project can move into the next phase or wave. The character of a quality gate is more formal than a review, for instance, as the availability of documents is checked rather than their content. A quality gate has a clearly defined due date. Requirement What must be delivered to provide or increase a company’s business value. Requirements are gathered during the discovery workshop. They can be linked to processes, process steps, capabilities, modules or end-to-end processes. There are also requirements that are not linked to any other artefacts. Release State of a software component that represents an important milestone or a considerable enhancement of a software component’s functionality. Release component The systems and applications of the solution that are related to a release. Risk An event or condition that, if it occurs, could have a negative effect on one or more project objectives. Scope change Unforeseen new requirement that changes the initial scope. For a scope change, the efforts and the budget need to be newly estimated and negotiated with the customer. Scope extension Additional work that needs to be done to implement a requirement. If the need for additional work has been identified after a quality gate or a user acceptance test, the initial scope can be extended. A scope extension is a smaller than a scope change. A scope extension does not exceed the efforts and the budget planned for the initial scope.
In agile development, a sprint is a defined period of time during which software development has to provide deliverables for review. The backlog of a sprint is based on the prioritization of backlog items, that is requirements. Test case
- A document that describes what shall be tested, how the test sequence is to be executed by the tester, and what results are expected at the end of the test sequence.
- Part of a test plan containing all test cases assigned to a tester. A test package contains all the test cases that a tester is to perform within a specific time period.
- Well-defined functional scope of work packages that belong to a release and are implemented during a defined period of time. A wave is formally signed-off by customer key-users.
- Document that describes a normal or a general change. A work item is derived from a work package. A work item can be divided into single tasks that can be assigned to developers.
- Document that defines what needs to be done to implement a requested feature. A work package is usually based on a requirement, but it can also be created directly. The solution architect uses the work package to plan and document the implementation of the requirement. A work package is broken down into work items.
- WRICEF is the abbreviation of work flows, reports, interfaces, conversions, enhancements, and forms. A WRICEF is a requirement that goes beyond the scope of a customizing or configuration and requires that components of a standard process are enhanced or that new components are development and documented.
SAP Activate Methodology Project Templates
SAP Certification – SAP Certified Activate Project Manager
Nice summary. As a further read I can recomment Is the WRICEF term still appropriate in the days of SAP RISE? and Mapping ABAPer (WRICEF) into SAP BTP (Business Technology Platform)