SAP Landscape Management Cloud & ABAP PCA (Post Copy Automation)
Post Copy Automation (PCA) has been part of SAP Landscape Enterprise Edition (LaMa) for many years. SAP Landscape Management Cloud (LaMa Cloud) was launched in 2021 as another product in the family. The two products compliment each other and can be deployed alone or simultaneously to manage the same environment.
As in the case of LaMa Enterprise Edition (perpetual license), PCA is also available with LaMa Cloud (subscription based). PCA entitlement for LaMa Cloud is only for systems residing in a public cloud whereas PCA with LaMa Enterprise allows deployment in on-premise datacenters, public cloud or in an hybrid model.
SAP Landscape Management Cloud is a Software-as-a-Service (SaaS) solution to manage SAP
systems in Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS) environments to take full advantage of
on-demand infrastructure in the cloud, enabling you to manage your cloud system to meet the
ever increasing demands on your business and optimize your resources.
ABAP PCA operates identically whether entitlement is via LaMa Enterprise Edition or LaMa Cloud. It automates activities that have to be performed after the copy or refresh of an ABAP based system such as S4/HANA, ECC, and BW.
For more information about PCA please refer to the following links:
- Official PCA guide – https://help.sap.com/doc/37e468f227374f2d91b48b2dd26b956b/latest/en-US/ABAP_Post-Copy_Automation_Configuration_Guide.pdf
- PCA Whitepaper (via download from SAP Note) – https://launchpad.support.sap.com/#/notes/1614266
- PCA FAQ: https://blogs.sap.com/2021/11/18/faq-abap-post-copy-automation/
- PCA Troubleshooting: https://launchpad.support.sap.com/#/notes/3115251
I’ve been asked by customers about the difference between the two LaMa products. Below is a table highlighting the key points to be aware of.
|Category||SAP Landscape Management Enterprise Edition||SAP Landscape Management Cloud|
|Delivery Model||On-premise software with perpetual licenses||Software as a Service via the SAP Business Technology Platform|
|SAP Landscape Type||On-premise, Hybrid and IaaS Clouds||IaaS Clouds Only|
|PCA||On-premise, IaaS Clouds and Hybrid||IaaS Clouds Only|
|When to Use||On-Prem or hybrid SAP landscapes and the need for SAP basis operations automation (including infrastructure access)||IaaS based SAP landscape and the need to reduce the TCO as well as getting an SAP system centric view on the IaaS costs/sustainability of the SAP systems|
For more information on LaMa Cloud please refer to these links:
- LaMa Cloud Product Page: https://community.sap.com/topics/landscape-management-cloud
- LaMa Cloud Community Site: https://community.sap.com/topics/landscape-management-cloud
- LaMa Cloud Roadmap
- LaMa Cloud Trial: https://blogs.sap.com/2021/05/26/getting-started-with-sap-landscape-management-cloud-trial/
- Hitchhiker’s Guide to SAP Landscape Management Cloud:
- Part 1: How to start your journey
- Part 2: What are the required configurations, when using SAP Landscape Management Cloud, execution engine
- Part 3: What are the required configurations when using SAP Landscape Management, enterprise edition
- Part 4: How do I onboard my SAP systems?
- Part 5: How I reduce my Infrastructure-as-a-Service cost using patterns and snoozing?
- Part 6: How Do I Analyze My Infrastructure-as-a-Service Costs?
- Part 7: How to reduce your energy consumption