How your industry can benefit from digitalized R&D and maintenance with SAP Enterprise Product Development (EPD)
Analysts suggest, that “digital transformation is driving the decision making and the business impact across the value chain1”
Let’s briefly go through the global trends, which greatly influence the Product development and Service delivery in an industry:
- Consumption preferences
- Shift towards an outcome-based model
- Continuous product innovations
- Ever evolving products
- Environmental consciousness and sustainability
- Globalization and its spread
- Changing regulations and policies
- Process automation (i.e. ‘need for speed – do more with less’)
- Faster time-to-market than ever
To cope with these global trends, each industry has to put its best foot forward, and needs to embark on the digital transformation journey. The sooner the better.
The success of industry depends on the products they develop and the services they provide. The right innovation strategy is a key success factor. There is a definite need to overcome silos and collaborate better, which naturally requires better interoperable systems. So, to streamline the value at stake, it is today more important than ever to create an end-to-end digital thread in the cloud across the value chain. This also helps the Top Line, Bottom Line, and Green Line in keeping pace. Refer the value opportunities:
SAP Enterprise Product Development is a public cloud offering in the product innovation and asset maintenance which extends SAP’s PLM portfolio, designed to drive the digital transformation in product development and service delivery processes, that enables our customers to Define, Develop and Deliver intelligent and sustainable – products and services.
The business processes in SAP EPD are designed to help our customers address the needs of digital product development, both in discrete as well as process industries, and of course in the service delivery organizations.
- manufacturing companies (like, the ones that produce a classical product, the product development, R&D, engineering, collaboration)
- but also the non-manufacturing organizations, like the utilities, transportation or public sector, can benefit from digitalizing the core business areas and innovate new, digitalized service offerings (like, the connected products, IoT based..)
Moreover, SAP EPD integrates with a wide variety of SAP solutions and partner extensions across the value chain.
The spectrum of the industry is wide, and so are the use cases. In order to bring the varied angles and strike the right note, bringing an industry perspective becomes imperative to cascade down the SAP EPD benefits.
Introducing the Blog Series:
A series of blogs has been planned for you to refer to and explore – what EPD has to offer for your industry, which could comprise: the industry-specific challenges, the ways to win over them, relevant use cases, pertinent examples, certain references and the likes.
- SAP EPD for Utilities and Energy
- SAP EPD for Chemical Industry
- SAP EPD for Consumer Products
- SAP EPD for High Tech – Semiconductor
- SAP EPD for High Tech – OEMs
- SAP EPD for Life Sciences
- SAP EPD for Automotive
- SAP EPD for Industrial Machinery and Components (IM&C)
- SAP EPD for Oil and Gas
- SAP EPD for Transportation
- SAP EPD for Media
- SAP EPD for Telecommunications
Please stay tuned to keep yourself updated with the industry-specific content.
The industry tailored information can basically equip you with relevant insights, which you can apply to your business to make it more effective.
- Know about the upcoming innovations in the SAP Roadmap Explorer
- Influence the roadmap by creating an improvement request via the Continuous Influence
- Post questions about SAP Enterprise Product Development
- Read other posts on SAP Enterprise Product Development
About the Author:
Ayan Pandey works for the Customer Office in the Cloud Acceleration Team within PLM & Engineering, as a Solution Advisor. His experience ranges from product development to business development.